Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Leather-wrapped Front Passenger Grab Handle

Old 11-11-2007, 08:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leather-wrapped Front Passenger Grab Handle

I decided to 'pretty' up my front passenger grab handle yesterday w/ a little bit of leather and paint.

First, I slid of the little side covers on the grab handlesand painted them silver to match my air vents (Thanks armycop!):

Then, I recycled a black Wheelskins leather steering wheel cover (Size C) I had by cutting a piece of it to about 10.5" long (allowing .5" to be folded on each end for a cleaner look):

Then, I proceeded to lace it to my grab handle (gotta love those predrilled holes):

And the result was a prettier and more refined looking grab handle :

Someday, I hope to eventually do the door handles and parking brake lever as well.
Old 11-11-2007, 12:01 PM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That looks good. I have neoprene right now, but that makes me think... Would you have enough from one cover to do that handle plus the doors or would you need 2?
Old 11-11-2007, 01:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You could go on Tandy Leather website and buy leather in various colors also. They have scraps they sell also on the cheap since it really wouldn't take mush to do up everything in the JK that has a handle.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by armycop
That looks good. I have neoprene right now, but that makes me think... Would you have enough from one cover to do that handle plus the doors or would you need 2?
I would think you would only need one for a 2 door, but I like bsack's suggestion of getting remnant leather scraps since the door handles are larger in circumferance than the front grab handle and the steering wheel cover isn't wide enough.
Old 11-11-2007, 08:52 PM
JK Super Freak

That looks great FzyPchz, nice touch!
Old 11-20-2007, 08:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OffTopic
That looks great FzyPchz, nice touch!
Thanks Offtopic! To complete the look up front, I added the Wheelskins eurotone steering wheel cover in the charcoal/black combo (the factory leatherwrap didn't feel cushy enough for me):

Old 01-09-2008, 01:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FzyPchz
Thanks Offtopic! To complete the look up front, I added the Wheelskins eurotone steering wheel cover in the charcoal/black combo (the factory leatherwrap didn't feel cushy enough for me):

how hard was this to do? i got my JK without leather at all and today i got feel the leather on the steering wheel and i will admit it feels a whole lot better
Old 01-09-2008, 08:42 AM
JK Enthusiast

Not hard at all. Just follow the instructions that Wheelskins provides. My Jeep came w/ leather from the factory, but the leather Jeep uses isn't very thick. So I doubled it up and now it's definitely much more comfortable.

Quick Reply: Leather-wrapped Front Passenger Grab Handle