Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Locking, ratcheting freedom top retainer screws

Old 08-06-2008, 06:41 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Locking, ratcheting freedom top retainer screws

Materials:
Locking gas cap ($2 at TSC)
8x1.25x80 full-thread bolt (Ace Hardware is your best bet)
2 1/4" washers
8x1.25 nut

1. Disassemble gas cap, removing vent and springs.
2. Grind (cut) plastic down so filler tank threaded portion is flat with lock portion. Be careful not to grind (cut) sides of vent portion below flat. Make smooth. This surface will rub the paint. Notice that the glass-filled plastic of the existing screw has already rubbed your paint raw!!!
3. Grind (cut) vent portion down to flat.
4. Feed 1 washer onto bolt.
5. Feed bolt through former vent hole from lock side.
6. Install washer and nut onto bolt. Tighten well.
7. Re-install lock and top of cap.
8. Trim hole in roll bar as necessary, so vent portion fits inside hole and lock portion flat provides stop. (A 1/4 washer will fit through, but the shoulder of the vent on my cap was a slightly larger diameter than the hole in the rollbar.)
9. Check bolt length to ensure at least 6 threads of engagement, but not so long it pops out through top when tight. Adjust length with grinder as necessary.

Ratchet in cap seems to be just about right for proper tightening torque.

Voila!

Old 08-06-2008, 06:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Excellent ideal, nice job
Old 08-06-2008, 09:49 PM
JK Freak

WOW! Definitely a sweet mod!!!
Old 08-07-2008, 08:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

I'm actually surprised to see someone using these things, much less coming up with a mod for them. I took those out a few months after I bought my JK and I haven't seen them since... as I sit here and think about it, I have no idea where they might be. I've never had an issue without them.

But I guess if you use them, this is a great mod.
Old 08-07-2008, 10:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bully17
I'm actually surprised to see someone using these things, much less coming up with a mod for them. I took those out a few months after I bought my JK and I haven't seen them since... as I sit here and think about it, I have no idea where they might be. I've never had an issue without them.

But I guess if you use them, this is a great mod.

X's 2..................................
Old 08-07-2008, 10:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Nice work...

I think the intent here was for theft-proofing the panels, great idea. There was another thread where a guy had one side of the panels stolen and it will be a couple hundred to replace it.
Old 08-07-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Freak

Everyone getting rid of those retaining nuts, are those not to keep the roof secure in the event of a roll over?? I do not think those plastic black levers would hold the roof together if the car were rolling???what do you guys think??
Old 08-07-2008, 12:24 PM
JK Junkie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

great idea.
Old 08-07-2008, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Dwikto
Everyone getting rid of those retaining nuts, are those not to keep the roof secure in the event of a roll over?? I do not think those plastic black levers would hold the roof together if the car were rolling???what do you guys think??
thats a fair comment, but tbh, alot of people drive around totally topless and without the protection from them anyways?!?

and they arent very strong to begin with and wont be the most protective things if you do roll i wouldnt have thought?!!?

i have got rid of the big bolts too, and i have had no leaking issues and we have had weather warnings from torrential rain here for the past few days, so they pose no purpose that i can see that relates to stopping water ingress either.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:00 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by armycop
I think the intent here was for theft-proofing the panels, great idea. There was another thread where a guy had one side of the panels stolen and it will be a couple hundred to replace it.
Yup, theft-proofing.

I first had the thought when my fair-skinned kids were riding in the back that I have no need for a full bikini, just over the back seat and the freedom top for the front. At that point, I realized one of the turds floating in the societal gene pool could steal the freedom tops, whether for profit or just to be an arse. After seeing the thread where one WAS stolen, I figured it would behoove me to at least make a proof of concept.

For less than $10 in parts and a few minutes of time, I've made some scumbag's life more difficult, hopefully enough so to keep on moving. (or delay him long enough for the microwave sensor and 2-way remote to give me time to get back to the Jeep and acquaint him with my evolutionary advantage)

Quick Reply: Locking, ratcheting freedom top retainer screws