Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

M/T MTZeeeez

Old 03-21-2011, 03:26 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default M/T MTZeeeez

First let me say I own an 05 TJ with a RE 5.5" long arm kit. Running 35x12.5x15 Mickey Thompson MTZ's on 15x10 MT wheels. I CAN'T say enough good things about these tires. I currently have a hair over 20,000 miles on them. Rotated religiously every 3000 miles and I run 30-32 psi on the street. Tread wear so far is impressive. As soft as the knobbies felt the day I got them I expected to have replaced them already. As it stands, I may get 60,000 out of these tires.
Road noise. They were actually amazingly quiet when I first installed them but of course they have increased in noise some. I would say they are about like a bf old school mud T/A now. (I know. I've used those as well as several other mud tires in the past)
No cupping as of yet no uneven wear, no BS from these tires, wet traction in heavy rain, street driving is better than what I expected.
Trail wise I have made two trips to superlift on these tires. Drove my TJ the 6 hr trip there and back. Airing down to 15psi (remember 15x10 wheels.) These things grab and claw at anything. I made an easy trip up the gorge with no lockers. Open front did and a stock limited slip out back, and I def owe it to the MTZ more than the lift. My friend with an 07 rubi unlimited with me had 35" pro comp all terrains and had a tough time spinning all 4 were I crawled right up.
Not knocking his JK at all because it is bad ass. But even he will tell u the mtz WORK on rocks... zero punctures. And while my poor wheels have many battle scars from the last trip, the MTZs shook it off. Awesome tire ..
Old 03-23-2011, 07:15 AM
JK Enthusiast

Nice write-up
Old 03-23-2011, 07:19 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks for the write up! I have seen several good comments on the MTZs! Enough that I have decided to go with those as soon as my BFG Muds are worn a bit more.
Old 03-23-2011, 07:49 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Only issue I had with the MTZ was the lugs chunked badly on some of the gravel and rocky roads I drove on. But I got the tire when they first really came on the Market and maybe the rubber compound was softer then they are now???