Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Manual Swaybar Disconnect (non-Rubicon models)

Old 10-18-2010, 09:58 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey gang, quick warning before you disconnect your sway bar and head out on the trail.

If you do this mod without relocating your brake line brackets you run the risk of stretching and possibly snapping your brake line or ABS line.

I disconnected my sway bar and did a driveway flex test on a small 2 foot tall wall and my brake lines were stretched to the max before my tire hit the wheel well.
Old 10-18-2010, 11:13 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Im a complete noob. I needed this thanks
Old 10-19-2010, 03:50 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by LOST
hey gang, quick warning before you disconnect your sway bar and head out on the trail.

If you do this mod without relocating your brake line brackets you run the risk of stretching and possibly snapping your brake line or ABS line.

I disconnected my sway bar and did a driveway flex test on a small 2 foot tall wall and my brake lines were stretched to the max before my tire hit the wheel well.
That's for those with a lift. You'll be fine if you're stock.
Old 12-01-2010, 09:17 PM
JK Freak

ok, i am a newbie off-roader, and a question comes to my mind (you should know that i am so happy to know that even without the "push-of-a-button-sway-bar-disco" feature, i can get all that flexibility... that i am loving even more my ISLANDER)

so, the question is.... how do i know when i need the disconnected sway bar? how hard does the trail has to be for me to really have to take the time to disconnect before hitting the trail? (i don't want to disconnect only to find out at the end that i wasn't really gona need it)
Old 09-08-2011, 09:51 PM
JK Newbie

I am going to bump this thread. It is a real help to a noobie like me. It took me a while to find this. Hopefully some other noobies aswell.
Old 09-22-2011, 11:47 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default WOooooooooooooOW

This is a very informative post, but man, I am having a D**K of a time trying to disconnect. I literally have to go eat a can of spinach or something. They are soaking in WD-40 right now.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason6
This is a very informative post, but man, I am having a D**K of a time trying to disconnect. I literally have to go eat a can of spinach or something. They are soaking in WD-40 right now.
What angle is your sway bar at? Have you tried to put weight on the front of your jeep why disconnecting?
Old 09-22-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Jason6
You can buy an impulse type impact driver at Harbor Freight for cheap, to break loose something like this. Its a springloaded cylinder, that has a square drive to accept sockets and such. You add the right size socket, and place it on the nut, holding like a chisel I guess. You then strike the top, like a chisel, and the internal springloaded mechanism has a threaded joint, that imparts rotational torque on the socket. Very similar to an air-driven or electric impact wrench. Only its much cheaper, and much smaller. $6.99:

http://www.harborfreight.com/impact-...ase-37530.html

We were in hog heaven when we discovered one many years ago. Saved a lot of barked knuckles I tell you.
Old 09-22-2011, 12:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default What a work out!

Fortunately, the WD-40 (and the spinach) did the trick! Maybe it should be added to the list of tools for first time disconnects.
Old 09-27-2011, 07:24 AM
JK Enthusiast

Has anyone with a stock suspension experienced any problems with the break lines stretching too much after disconnecting? I really wanna get a set of JKS' on my jk but this is the only thing holding me back right now.

Quick Reply: Manual Swaybar Disconnect (non-Rubicon models)