Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

muffler relocation

Old 07-27-2008, 04:11 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hi! I can't physically see it but I would guess that this would leave enough space where the original muffler was located to install a rear winch? I really would like pre-mounted winches front and rear. That would offer a "no-muss, no-fuss" option to self-recovery. Sometimes a forward mounted winch is useless if the front is over an embankment and the only practical winch path is from which you went in! I guess I need to crawl under her and do a bit of figuring. Thanks for the "food for thought"! Take care... Mike
Old 07-27-2008, 05:38 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mdantonio
Hi! I can't physically see it but I would guess that this would leave enough space where the original muffler was located to install a rear winch? I really would like pre-mounted winches front and rear. That would offer a "no-muss, no-fuss" option to self-recovery. Sometimes a forward mounted winch is useless if the front is over an embankment and the only practical winch path is from which you went in! I guess I need to crawl under her and do a bit of figuring. Thanks for the "food for thought"! Take care... Mike
That's already on my to do list. I've already had to back down a hill with the winch once. yes it will fit. I test fit my Smittybilt 8000lbs winch under there before mounting it up front. I'm going to have to make a winch mount for it when I make my new rear bumper. My problem is I still need my trailer hitch. And I don't want anything to get hit. So I need a custom rear bumper w/ winch mount, tire carrier(going to build a rear stinger), and some kind of skid plate for it. Was kinda hoping that someone would come out with a rear stinger for the new jeep. Otherwise... we'll be fabbing it all up.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:09 PM
JK Super Freak

I'm glad you did it on a budget. I've seen a thread where you can fabricate a bigger undercarpet storage area once the factory muffler is gone. I'll have to find that thread and post it. Super looks.
Old 02-08-2009, 05:17 PM
JK Newbie

Has anyone done this on a 2-door? There doesn't look like enough room before the canister, and there is a bend in the pipe after the canister.

I would do this mod tomorrow if I knew that someone had sucessfully done it on a 2-door.
Old 02-08-2009, 09:24 PM
JK Enthusiast

Wood's old kit was somewhat like the one the OP built. His new kit is much more tucked away.

And here is a pic of the tub enlargement, which is GREAT. Much more useful than the stock dimple trunk. This is big enough to hold all my tools, a small compressor, and extra fluids.
Old 02-16-2009, 05:51 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Emissions?

For those that are emissions controlled, does this mod affect our passing of the test?
Old 02-16-2009, 06:20 AM
JK Super Freak

nice! Exhaust should have been routed this way from the factory
Old 02-17-2009, 08:43 AM
wdb
JK Enthusiast

I did this too but mines a little bit more ghetto and dumps right behind the muffler.

Sounds much better than when it was in the stock position. Doesnt even really heat up the floor or evap canister.
Old 02-17-2009, 01:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TexsDream77
I know there are kits out there for this. But this doesn't require a kit.

Magnaflow 14377 muffler
Flow master 51017 heat shield

Cut out 17 1/2" of pipe and install muffler. Weld pipes. Strap on heat shield

Cut off factory muffler. Cut as close to the muffler as possible. Butt weld cut pipe onto factory pipe.

We added a hanger from the tail pipe to a factory hanger donut just to stiffen it up a bit.

Wholesale Muffler in Pawtucket, RI stocks these parts and can do the complete install parts and labor around $200
I am curious if this creates any problems with the back pressures and emissions that the computer might read and then hamper any performance? I agree it does appear to be a better location and does free of space in the original location, but I am going to do more research for myself. I have not seen any of the aftermarket companies offer a relocation kit or a direct bolt in for that location. Just me.
Old 03-25-2009, 03:04 PM
JK Newbie

Looks good from here, maybe now I would be able to hide a winch under there...

Quick Reply: muffler relocation