Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

My Insulated Headliner Project

Old 07-02-2009, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Insulated Headliner Project

Howdy,

I have been fortunate to learn from everyone else's work, so here is some of my own that may help you.

Thus far I have spent:

1. $60 on headliner material (black, 3 yards @$20 per yard and 54" wide, enough for entire hardtop)
2. $12 on 3M 90 contact adhesive (per can, used 4 for entire hardtop)
3. $4 on Duro All Purpose Spray adhesive (per can, 5 cans for adhering foam headliner to insulation, prolly oversprayed)
4. $45 on 48" x 25' Foil Insulation (R3 value directly applied)

Oh, All Material from Lowe's(can I say that?)

I tested temperatures today, Texas heat 104 on JK gauge, Insulated top 156, non insulated top 178 degF. I no longer had the hot zone above my head while driving, and it cooled down much faster. It is also quieter, and that is only doing the front two pieces. I plan on finishing the rest of the hardtop this weekend, after I build a garage hoist.

Here we go with pics:

Insulation used:

Contact Cement Used: By recommendation of: Ronson via his thread: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/project-cool-jeep-88886/

Duralined (done earlier but wanted to show anyway)

Insulated panels cut and headliner applied with Dupro Contact Cement

Preping Freetom Top Panels Prepped for 3M 90 Contact Cement

Completed Panel

Completed Installation

Now all I have to do is the rearend!

Last edited by MoridinTX; 07-06-2009 at 05:36 AM. Reason: Updated material quantities
Old 07-02-2009, 02:40 PM
JK Super Freak

looks great!
Old 07-02-2009, 03:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jeepin08
looks great!
Thanks, I am a perfectionist and am not usually happy with what I do, but this I like....

Originally Posted by eisenjj
I like it! Please let us know how they work for ya when you get the whole thing done.
I will do. As others have reported a drastic temperature drop, so I am hoping to achieve. I just hope I have the time/ necessary stuff/ to finish it this weekend....
Old 07-02-2009, 05:10 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Do you forsee the liners coming off when you take the hard top on and off? How thick is that material anyway?

I do want to say I think it looks amazing and I love the contrast between the painted top and the panels! I'll likely do the same thing and I've subscribed.
Old 07-02-2009, 05:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Skippman
Do you forsee the liners coming off when you take the hard top on and off? How thick is that material anyway?

I do want to say I think it looks amazing and I love the contrast between the painted top and the panels! I'll likely do the same thing and I've subscribed.
Howdy Skippman,

I don't think the liners will come off, at least not in the near future. One of the reasons is from the other thread from Ronson, he recommended the 3M 90 as a good contact cement for high temperatures between plastic and .... After a few hours reading the backs of cans in Low..s I think I understand his recommendation. So far I see no indication of the contact cement letting go in my Texas heat

The reflectex is about 1/4" thick, maybe 3/16" thick, but double sided foil with what looks like the packing bubbles between.

Thanks for the compliment, I was worried how it would turn out even after done. Now just two more liners to make, after painting the rest of the hardtop...
Old 07-02-2009, 05:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Looks good let us know the results when its done. Thanks for the reference.
Old 07-02-2009, 06:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Ronson
Looks good let us know the results when its done. Thanks for the reference.
Thanks, will do. If I can get a stable lift/work place done in a days time Ill be albt to finish it. Credit due where credit deserved
Old 07-05-2009, 05:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Finished Install

Well, a busy three days for me... Insulated install continued:

So I started with the same process, removed top, sanded/prepped, sprayed with Duplicolor Spray in bedliner.

Then prepared the insulated panels. This time I doubled the insulation as I did not have to worry about the levers that were on the freedom panels. Then I applied the headliner.

Then I installed the panels, putting books on them overnight to make sure there was good adhesion. I have no idea if this is necessary, just seemed like it would not hurt. Who says college was useless, the books come in handy

Finishing up by spraying touchup areas of bedliner:

Completed install:

It is much cooler now, and alot more quiet.

Thanks to everyone for the guidance and great ideas
Old 07-06-2009, 01:14 AM
JK Newbie

That is awesome, this is definitely a must do. I just moved to Augusta GA and I swear I've never lived in a hotter place in my life and I've lived in TX and grew up in FL. Excellent write up too!
Old 07-06-2009, 05:28 AM
JK Jedi

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That looks like a great install. Keep us posted on how it remains adhered. I wonder though.....I bet you could cut the temp down even a tad further if you did the sides of the top as well.

Quick Reply: My Insulated Headliner Project