Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Mystery Solved: I Found/Fixed that Annoying Noise!!!

Old 04-08-2019, 05:52 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Mystery Solved: I Found/Fixed that Annoying Noise!!!

Hey Jeep Nation,

Well I finally found and "fixed" the very annoying squeak/vibration that I thought was coming from inside the dash somewhere. Other forum talked about vibrating heater/AC tubing running through the firewall. That might be the issue for some. However, the symptoms I observed appeared to be temperature related. The sound seemed to disappear when it was was cold, under 50 degrees. In warm weather the squeaking, chirping, vibrating sound was non-stop. Well after over a year of listening, searching, and even dismantling the glove box, center bezel and instrument panel to try and find the enigmatic and inconsistent noise, and that with NO success, I found it quite by accident. I was sitting at a stop light on a warm sunny day and to cut down on glare I moved the driver side visor out of its normal position to block the sun. Then the light changed and I was underway again... but this time the annoying jiggle was gone! It took a moment to process it because the sound had become such a part of the daily commute, but then I realized... it was really GONE. I waited thinking that it would soon return which it had done many times before. I pressed and prodded around the visor keeper and the surrounding plastic and... sure enough....it made the same noise that had caused me to start questioning my sanity. So I left the visor in normal position without putting it back into the keeper... Still no noise! After two weeks with the sun visor like that I'm convinced that the noise is gone for good... as long as I don't put the visor back into the keeper... I'm so happy! I will remove the Freedom panels and see if there's anything I can tighten or insulate so that I can us the visor clip again, but for now I'm ecstatic that I found the issue and don't have to hear that distracting noise anymore! Don't get me wrong, my Jeep 2016 JKU has a shade less than 50K miles and there are other noises, which are more normal and can be accounted for as the suspension or other systems work. After all it is a Jeep and going balls out on an off road trail over all sorts of terrain is bound to cause various noises, especially as the vehicle ages. I can deal with that. It's the ones you can't track down that drive you nuts. Also, I'm glad the "fix" was free without any parts to buy or having to deal with the dealership service department, since my Jeep is out of warranty. I'm sure they'd love to ring me up only to have inconclusive results or some half-baked explanation of the problem only to tell you, "there's nothing we can do, you're just going to have to put up with it..." CDJR service departments are another story all together... Anyhow mystery solved. OIIIIIIIO
The following users liked this post:
Jfrogge (04-11-2019)
Old 04-08-2019, 07:04 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 120 Likes on 106 Posts

That must be amazing. I feel like it's almost worth it to put up with years of aggravation to have that kind of relief. Almost.
Old 04-11-2019, 04:10 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't mind all the little noises, it's my jeep's way of sayin it's Happy when I'm off roading.

Quick Reply: Mystery Solved: I Found/Fixed that Annoying Noise!!!