Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

New KC HiLiTES JK H4 Headlight Kit

Old 02-28-2013, 08:31 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default KC HiLiTES JK H4 Headlight Write-Up

KCŪ HiLiTES H4 Headlight Conversion Kit Write-Up

07-14 Jeep Wranglers
Part # 42302
$110 depending on site.

Description

KCŪ HiLiTES H4 Headlight Conversion Kit for Jeep JK
Direct Replacement for 2007 - 2013 Jeep JK Wrangler
Superior Multi-Surface Reflector Optics
Hard Coated, UV Treated Lexan Lens
55/60w H4 Halogen Bulbs
DOT Approved - Street Legal
Proudly made in USA!

My Thoughts

I have now owned my Jeep about 3 years, and I have always been dissapointed in the light quality from the OEM headlights. I have been looking at some of the options available on the forums and websites, and most Jeep owners either upgraded just their bulbs or upgrade to the HID kits. After reading on multiple forums about Jeep owners having issue with flickering due to the canbus system, I started looking in to full headlight replacement options. I came across a posting on KCŪ HiLiTES new H4 upgraded 7" headlight conversion coming out so I decided to contact the KCŪ forum rep. After speaking with him about the new H4 conversions, I decided to order and I am glad that I did. The headlights are quite a bit brighter than stock, so I can see a lot more on the road and at further distances. I would highly recommend these headlights to a Jeep owner that is looking to upgrade their quality of lights, but with a budget in mind.

The KCŪ HiLiTES H4 Headlight Conversion Kit Includes

(2) Complete Replacement 7" Headlights with H4 Halogen Bulbs
(2) Conversion Cables for H13 to H4 Bulb Connectors
(1) AWESOME KCŪ Sticker.

Install time

20-45 minutes.

Rating

EASY!

Tools needed

Flat Head Screwdriver
T10 Torx Screwdriver
Pick Tool
Frosty Beverage

Install Guide

Step 1

Open hood.

On each side of front of hood you will have two latches. You will need to pull back those hood latches on each side for hood to open enough to unlatch hood lever under hood.
Note to Jeep owners that have never owned a Jeep before. There isn't a hood lever to pull inside of Jeep.

Step 2

Undo the blinker/running lights on grille.

You have two options depending on what you find easier.
Pull red tab, press the harness bottom tab and pull harness.
Twist the light housing and light when come out with harness still attached.

Step 3

Remove the 6 black push button tabs on top of grille.

First, take flat head screwdriver and pop at the plastic pin in the tab. (If the entire push button comes out that is fine.)
Second, take pick and gently go under tab to pop out.
Use flat head screwdriver and pick.

Step 4

Gently pull each lower corner of grille and remove.

Behind the grille there are tabs on each corner.
They are also down the lower middle section.
By pulling one or possibly even both lower ends "gently" that will help pull the rest of grille from Jeep.
Place grille aside.

Step 5

Remove both headlights.

Use T10 torx screwdriver. (I've heard some Jeeps have a different size.)
Unscrew the 4 torx screws holding the chrome ring that goes around the actual headlights.
BE AWARE THAT ONCE ALL FOR TORX SCREWS ARE PULLED, THE HEADLIGHT CAN FALL OUT!
Make sure you are holding light in place with one of your hands

Step 5.5

Gently pull light out so you can see wiring harness behind.

Pull the red tab out then push the harness tab button and pull wiring harness apart.
Repeat on other headlight.

This is a good time to grab some glass cleaner and wipe the grime off the chrome rings.

Step 6

Install the H4 conversion harnesses into the factory harnesses & back of new KCŪ HiLiGHTS Headlights.

Step 7

Line up the KCŪ headlights and reinstall the chrome rings.

There are 4 little rectangle grooves that match up with the 4 rectangle boxes that will help you line up new KCŪ HiLiTES H4 headlights perfectly.
Once you have your headlight lined up, slide back on the chrome ring and start screwing in the 4 torx screws
Use T10 torx to tighten down.

Step 12

Reinstall Grill.

Line up the lower middle tabs of grille first and the rest should all line up in the correct areas.
Once lined up gently tap in from one side to other and you will see/hear everything go back in to place.
Now that grill is lined up, take the tabs and put back in the 6 holes then take the 6 pins and slide in to the tab holes.
They can only go in one way due to the grooves so don't force.

Step 13

Reinstall the blinkers/running lights harness or lights back in to place.

Step 14

Close hood and latch down.

Congratulations!!! Your new KCŪ HiLiTES H4 Conversion Headlights are installed and ready to go play in the dark!

Contact Information

Thank you for taking the time to look over my write-up. If you have any further questions, please feel free to ask on thread or by PM. Yoe may also contact me at husker.n.az@gmail.com

KCŪ HiLiTES

Leader in Performance LED, HID and Halogen Lighting, LED Light Bars for Off Road Lighting, Mining Lighting, Industrial Lighting - KC HiLiTESŪ

www.facebook.com/kchilites

My Facebook Pages

www.facebook.com/azwranglers
www.facebook.com/husker4x4

Last edited by Hskr4x4; 06-19-2014 at 01:17 AM.
Old 02-28-2013, 08:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Really good write up!
Old 02-28-2013, 09:00 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Got any comparison of the lights on at night?
Old 02-28-2013, 09:15 PM
JK Junkie

Overview

New - KC JK H4 Headlight Kit is a DOT approved "street legal" replacement that fits 2007 - 2013 JK Jeep Wrangler. Our headlights features a clear, virtually unbreakable Hard Coated Lexan Lens and new computer designed Multi-Surface Reflector Optics to create a superior beam pattern and looks. This direct plug-in headlight kit comes complete with a 55/60w H4 Halogen bulbs and H13 to H4 Bulb Connectors

This is my reviews so far....

I received these lights about 3 weeks ago and so far I really like them. They have great light output compared to stock, cleaner lines, and because they don't have mirror at bottom of housing it reflects more to ground than in the air. (Actually looks like fogs are on even when they aren't)

My only negative comment so far is that the light color is still stock looking instead of a bright white h.i.d style. I did talk to KC HiLiTES and they commented that some like the stock color some don't which is very understandable.

HERE ARE THE COMPARISONS!

KC HiLiTES against IPF's (mine were'nt fully adjusted yet) (KC on left)

Against IPF brights

KC HiLiTES against stock (KC on left)

Brights

Old 02-28-2013, 11:33 PM
JK Newbie

very cool thanks for the write up!
Old 03-01-2013, 03:15 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice writeup, and thank you for sharing!

I can see what you mean when you stated the brights almost shine as if the fogs are on. Thats my biggest complaint with the stock setup; the lack of low/close up light with the brights (since you cant have the fogs on). Well, that and the stock lights just plain old SUCK.
Old 03-01-2013, 05:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

I think I just decided what headlights I'll be buying! Thanks for the write up & comparison... The fine line is what I like the most... than comes HID's and obviously I'll set the headlights down more so the fine line isn't so high.
Old 03-05-2013, 01:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

the kc almost look as though they have a yellow tint to them. Do you think that it does?
Old 03-05-2013, 01:34 PM
JK Junkie

It didnt help that the garage I used was a different color than jeep to right. The door color is a mustard brown color that's why.. I'm going to post more photos this weekend.. It's not hid white but more white than factory
Old 03-05-2013, 01:42 PM
JK Enthusiast

Sweet I look forward to the pics. I am lookinh into updating mine as well. I was looking at hid's because the led's are too expensive.

Quick Reply: New KC HiLiTES JK H4 Headlight Kit