Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

New Teraflex Alpha

Old 05-09-2017, 11:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Teraflex Alpha

So, as some of you may know, Teraflex recently redesigned the accessory mount for the HD tire carrier. I owned the previous version of the mount, but went back to shopping after it got smashed up. Upon checking out the Teraflex website, I noticed the previous version was discontinued and replaced with the new "Alpha" version. I contacted TF about the mount and it was backordered during the redesign. I finally got the mount on 05/01/17, and got to installing it.

Initial impressions:

The mount came packaged in standard TF box, lightly wrapped.

Click image for larger version

Name:	photo867.jpg
Views:	250
Size:	1.15 MB
ID:	671389Click image for larger version

Name:	photo83.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	1.17 MB
ID:	671390

While you would expect this to be enough for a large piece of metal, little chips in the paint suggested the product could benefit from a little more protection.

Name:	photo528.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	1,007.4 KB
ID:	671391

Nevertheless, the construction is great, the welds are clean, and the product seems to be just about bulletproof.

Name:	photo248.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	1.09 MB
ID:	671392

Now, for installation.

The instructions are clear and detailed. The installation process is quick, simple, and requires only a basic set of wrenches and a torque wrench for that extra peace of mind. All hardware is included and come neatly packaged. You can read the instructions yourself in the photo below.

Name:	photo301.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	659.9 KB
ID:	671393Click image for larger version

Name:	photo281.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	779.3 KB
ID:	671395Click image for larger version

Name:	photo88.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	695.1 KB
ID:	671394

The product installed onto the JK's HD tire carrier in a matter of minutes. A little loctite was added for Murphy's Law. Mount came with a chrome Teraflex emblem attached from the factory. Kind of wish it didn't have one, but maybe you're into that sort of thing.

Name:	photo556.jpg
Views:	291
Size:	843.3 KB
ID:	671396Click image for larger version

Name:	photo856.jpg
Views:	900
Size:	1.02 MB
ID:	671398Click image for larger version

Name:	photo246.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	908.4 KB
ID:	671397

Once the mount was installed, I adjusted the bracket to the the jack height. The mount allows for pretty much any hi-lift jack to be mounted by deleting the floor plate from the previous version. Living in the Inland Empire of Southern California, I opted to replaced the provided bolts with locking lug nuts to prevent theft of the jack. The jack mounted without issue and was impressively sturdy. I mean this thing is rock solid.

Name:	photo245.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	993.8 KB
ID:	671399Click image for larger version

Name:	photo242.jpg
Views:	217
Size:	1.08 MB
ID:	671400

Now, a rotopax mount can also be purchased separately, which I decided to spring the extra $40 for. Which the alpha mount was rock solid, the rotopax mount was less than stellar. Installation is accomplished in a minute flat by installed bolts through the jack handle. Pretty straight forward install. However, the mount bent and cracked by the pressure of common hand tools.

Name:	photo354.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	747.3 KB
ID:	671402Click image for larger version

Name:	photo812.jpg
Views:	205
Size:	769.3 KB
ID:	671401

Again, this was a result of tightening with a simple wrench by hand. This was not by power tool. I am by no means the Incredible Hulk, so there's no reason for the metal plate to smash like this. Even still, the mount secured the gas container very well and with the rotopax locking handle I purchased, the container won't fall victim to anyone's "five finger discount."

Closing thoughts:

The Teraflex Alpha Hi-Lift jack mount is a rock solid mount. It secures the jack VERY well, maintains a clean look, allows for the tailgate to open completely without hitting the light or body, and is a wonderful addition to the HD Tire Carrier. The jack does not rattle at all against the mount and no vibrations can be heard even when I put the soft top down. I would definitely recommend this mount. Concerning the rotopax mount, it's nice to lug an extra gallon or two of gas with you for those short trips where you're not looking to overland with 20 gallons but still want a little extra peace of mind that you're not going to get stranded if you underguess the length of your trip. However, quality on the rotopax could definitely benefit from a do-over by Teraflex. If there's anything you want to know about the mount, feel free to ask. Hope this write up helps anyone looking at this mount.

Jeep-on!
Old 05-10-2017, 12:21 AM
JK Newbie

Name:	photo238.jpg
Views:	252
Size:	1.04 MB
ID:	671403
Old 05-10-2017, 06:51 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great writeup!! Did you call up TF and tell them what happened with the rotopax mount? I'm sure they would replace it without any issue. I wish the rotopax mount didn't sit so high up. I've been looking around for other options for rotopax and the TF tire carrier.
Old 05-11-2017, 06:12 PM
JK Newbie

I haven't called TF yet, but I probably will when I get a free moment. I agree about the height of the rotopax. Problem is that if you place it any lower, you won't be able to get the can off the left side due to tire clearance. Any lower on the right side, you'll end up smashing the tail light. So on either side, that's the lowest I could get it. I really wish they offered a lower mounting solution for the can on the left side of the tire by the handle. That would be great! The can isn't really noticeable in the mirror though as it hides behind the headrest of the rear seat. So that's a plus.

Quick Reply: New Teraflex Alpha