Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Notes on a TeraFlex 2.5” Spring Lift

Old 07-17-2010, 06:39 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some observations:

The trackbar bracket is a PITA. Forget the template and the measurements on it. get the hole drilling distance by measuring the trackbar bracket itself. I went with 2 5/8 and was 1/8 too short. broke a drill bit and almost my wrist fixing that. Then the holes for the large bolt/spacer thing wouldnt line up. I spent about 1.5 hours hand filing the back part of the bracket to get just enough clearance to hammer the bolt in.

Other than that bracket everything else went smooth.

Trying to get 125 ft/lbs of torque requires some funny acrobatics while lying underneath the back of the jeep. I bet it would make for some funny pictures.

So far I went from 35in to 38.5in at the center of the fender. I havent done the front yet due to the heat. Hopefully it will settle a bit close to 2.5 in

Last edited by JoejoeBean; 07-17-2010 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-17-2010, 08:56 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Kauaian
how long have you been running without them, do you see a lot of awkward wear, pulling, vibrations, without the front LCA's?

anyone else without LCA's got some feedback running without them?
I have over 15,000 miles on mine. I also installed F/R adjustable trac bars.

With my 32s I had no awkward wear, no pulling, no vibrations. With my 35s I still have no awkward wear and no pulling, but I may feel a slight vibration at 70 - not sure. I didn’t have it with the 32s, so I think if I do then it’s because of the 35s (not balanced) or the gears (causing the DS to spin faster).

I’m sure CAs would dial in the alignment perfectly.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:01 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by JoejoeBean
...Other than that bracket everything else went smooth.

Trying to get 125 ft/lbs of torque requires some funny acrobatics while lying underneath the back of the jeep. I bet it would make for some funny pictures...
I think everyone has a problem with that bracket!

You're right about torquing down those bolts - the Passenger Rear and Driver Front were the worst for me.
Old 07-17-2010, 09:23 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Kauaian
how long have you been running without them, do you see a lot of awkward wear, pulling, vibrations, without the front LCA's?

anyone else without LCA's got some feedback running without them?

thanks guys!
planning on placing order this weekend, wanna know how much cash i really have to sneak out of the bank account for the purchases
Haven't installed my lift yet. Just decided to get the front track bar and lower front CAs first and put it on at the same time. I may even do the rear track bar at the same time also.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:44 AM
JK Junkie

I've had my 2.5 on my 4 door for about a year now and love it. I pulled the trigger on the LCA's from TF a while back and I'm finally getting around to installing them today. After doing a bunch of reading and to the best of my knowledge from other people doing it already, the area I'm looking to start from is 23" and then move out from there? I was thinking 231/8" and drivers side and 231/4" passenger side? I'm just asking is this pretty much right where I want to be with these measurement for a four door? thanks for any input ahead of time.
Old 07-18-2010, 11:47 AM
JK Newbie

well I got done with the lift today, front went much smoother than the rear.

I have gotten 3.75 in the front and 3.5 inches of lift in the rear. Is this normal on a 2 door 2010 jk?

Can I drive it or am I going to tear up the drive shafts. I read that above 3inches you need new drive shafts.

I will be getting a full with front and rear bumper. Will this bring it closer to 2.5 inches so I dont have to worry about driveshaft issues?

It certinately looks good though.

Thanks

EDIT: found a part of this post where they talked about initial height. everyone else seems to get 36.5 front and 36 rear while i was getting 35.5 and 35 so my factory coils were probably sagging or what not. Instead of 3.75 and 3.5 I would then be getting 2.75 and 2.5 which i can live with.

Last edited by JoejoeBean; 07-18-2010 at 12:10 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:06 PM
JK Super Freak

...I have gotten 3.75 in the front and 3.5 inches of lift in the rear. Is this normal on a 2 door 2010 jk?...I will be getting a full with front and rear bumper. Will this bring it closer to 2.5 inches so I dont have to worry about driveshaft issues?...
That does seem like a lot for the lift. What were the part numbers on the springs? I have a winch and F/R metal bumpers and got 3" in the front and 2 5/8" in the rear. When will you be getting those bumpers?
Old 07-18-2010, 12:46 PM
JK Newbie

I read your other post and think I may have had sagging factory springs.

Factory springs:

Front: 4255AA
Rear: 6314AC

The Teraflex ones were the same number on the sheet it just had a -Q at the end
1853100-Q . Not sure what the -Q is for.

Here is a pic with 265/75R16 (31.6in) tires.

Here it is with factory wheels but the same tires as above.
Old 07-18-2010, 12:55 PM
JK Super Freak

I read your other post and think I may have had sagging factory springs.

Factory springs:

Front: 4255AA
Rear: 6314AC

The Teraflex ones were the same number on the sheet it just had a -Q at the end
1853100-Q . Not sure what the -Q is for...
Yeah, the factory springs do sag over time. I measured my stock height when I got the Jeep. I noticed it had sagged before I installed the TeraFlex springs.

The 18531 springs are now marketed as 2.5" lift for 4 doors and 3" lift for 2 doors. They are the same springs I have (the only ones they sold at the time).
Old 07-18-2010, 01:01 PM
JK Newbie

Ok great that makes me feel better knowing I am not going to tear up a driveshaft. Just need to finish some torquing and center the steering and Ill take it for a spin.

Thanks for your help and this thread.

JBean

Quick Reply: Notes on a TeraFlex 2.5” Spring Lift