Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

planman's 2dr Rubi JK gets RIPP'd

Old 01-22-2013, 03:53 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've thought about the turbo route instead of the hemi or 4BT swap. I love to hear what you think when you get back from your trip.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:23 AM
JK Freak

Planman! Glad to see your back on the forum...looks good and I think were all curious about your preformance change with those huge tires
Old 01-22-2013, 05:58 AM
JK Junkie

Looks good.

Noticed you went for the smaller pulley - what was your rational for doing so (I'm thinking of doing the same as I very rarely am over 4000 rpm)?

Did the PSC setup require a different length belt than what RIPP sends with their kits (hydro assist is on my list of future mods)?

Where did you relocate your cooler? Thanks.

Old 01-22-2013, 08:25 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Looks good.

Noticed you went for the smaller pulley - what was your rational for doing so (I'm thinking of doing the same as I very rarely am over 4000 rpm)?

Did the PSC setup require a different length belt than what RIPP sends with their kits (hydro assist is on my list of future mods)?

Where did you relocate your cooler? Thanks.
Thanks.

RIPP calls the smaller one a "high altitude pulley." It makes a pretty big difference living at 3,500 ft above sea level and wheeling up to 10,000+ feet elevations. I'll install a boost gauge to be able to keep an eye on pressures.

No. Since I have a 6 speed, I received a slightly smaller power steering pulley from PSC. RIPP did send me a different belt to go with the "high altitude" supercharger pulley.

I flipped the steering cooler underneath that same crossmember. I had to trim the plastic radiator piece to fit the cooler and the hoses. It fit well because I have a 1" body lift. There is enough clearance, but I still wrapped some black duct tape on the tube to protect it. Without the body lift, I would need to relocate the metal tube/hose that runs under that crossmember.

Last edited by planman; 01-22-2013 at 08:34 AM.
Old 01-22-2013, 10:45 AM
JK Freak

Very nice. That will help bring those 40s to life when needed. How many miles do you have on your engine?
Old 01-22-2013, 10:53 AM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by JAM85
Very nice. That will help bring those 40s to life when needed. How many miles do you have on your engine?
21k, nearly all offroad.

I'm wondering how long my 1310/1350 hybrid Spicer u-joints will last before I just upgrade to 1350 driveshafts.

I was out spinning the 40s on the pavement last night while checking out the power. I got home and started thinking about carrying a few 1310/1350 Spicer spares. I only have one in my storage trunk.
Old 01-22-2013, 01:25 PM
JK Newbie

Very nice. Thanks for sharing.
Old 01-23-2013, 04:34 AM
JK Junkie

Thanks.

A lot of people dismiss a body lift on JKs, but they do have the advantage of providing a little extra wiggle room for the types of aftermarket modifications like you describe with respect to the cooler and tube/hose.

Originally Posted by planman
RIPP calls the smaller one a "high altitude pulley." It makes a pretty big difference living at 3,500 ft above sea level and wheeling up to 10,000+ feet elevations. I'll install a boost gauge to be able to keep an eye on pressures.

No. Since I have a 6 speed, I received a slightly smaller power steering pulley from PSC. RIPP did send me a different belt to go with the "high altitude" supercharger pulley.

I flipped the steering cooler underneath that same crossmember. I had to trim the plastic radiator piece to fit the cooler and the hoses. It fit well because I have a 1" body lift. There is enough clearance, but I still wrapped some black duct tape on the tube to protect it. Without the body lift, I would need to relocate the metal tube/hose that runs under that crossmember.

Old 01-23-2013, 06:49 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Originally Posted by JK-Rubi
Thanks.

A lot of people dismiss a body lift on JKs, but they do have the advantage of providing a little extra wiggle room for the types of aftermarket modifications like you describe with respect to the cooler and tube/hose.
Right.

A 1" body lift is not very noticeable. However, it allows you more suspension up-travel because you don't need to extend your bumpstops as much.

You can run 11" travel shocks with 1.25" front extended bumpstops and 37" tires with flat flares. With fender well trimming and the 1" body lift, you can run rear 12" travel shocks with about 1" extended bumpstops and 37s with flat flares.

Plus, it is easier to clean your undercarriage.

Plus, it is easier to install a supercharger ;-)

With a 1" body lift and flat flares, you can run 35s with either rear fender well trimming or 1" rear extended bumpstops.

I wouldn't do the 1" body lift just for more tire clearance "look." It is a practical matter for me to use all my shock travel and run 40s on as short as a 3" suspension lift.

They aren't for everyone, but they do have practical use.
Old 01-24-2013, 01:39 PM
Forum Tech Advisor

Text added above.