Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Power distribution & backup camera install

Old 01-13-2008, 06:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Power distribution & backup camera install

I've finally got around to installing my Painless Wiring Cirkit Boss Auxiliary Fuse Block and my backup camera since it's really hard to see out the back of a lifted Jeep with a larger spare.

Disclaimer: install at your own risk. Not responsible for any problems you may encounter based on this write up. Blah blah blah....

You can find the fuse block info here:
4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/fuse_block/

You can view my video monitor/DVD write-up here:
https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/jk-write-ups-39/video-monitor-install-stock-dvd-player-16266/

The painless kit looks intimidating at first but it's pretty simple. I made it even easier to deal with by running the relay power to my driver's side (accessory) cig lighter rather than running to the fuse block like others have. So all that I had to run under the hood was the main power wire and circuit breaker:

I mounted the new fuse block inside the cabin in the driver's side footwell. I figure it'll be the easiest place to get to it, still have it inside away from elements, near factory ground, and very close to the grommet to the engine compartment. As I add lights and other cameras, etc, it'll be easy to run power/ground to that location.

I ordered this backup cam from ebay a long time ago, I think it was like $40 with shipping from Hong Kong. It has several LEDs for nightvision and has a very wide angle. I'm really happy with the distance of it as well, even in the dark of night. I chose to mount it just below the spare and above the tow/hitch area so it is centered and at a lower level where I can't see out the back:

And if people/thieves are just walking by you can't even see it:

The monitor and camera come on with accessory power or upon vehicle startup and the monitor defaults to Video Input 1 which is the camera. Quaility is great, you can't really tell with poor lighting and taking a photo. The camera is showing my garage door about 4 ft away:

I went ahead and put in a video switcher because I plan to add more cameras, figure this was the most convenient place to switch views while offroading, etc. I can quickly switch between the 3 cameras with the turn of the knob.

With the monitor remote I can quickly switch inputs between cameras, television tuner, or DVD player:

Here are the two other cameras I've ordered. The small round one is another reverse view camera I'll mount underneath to view the rear axles/wheels and then the other cam is non-reverse/standard and is actually a closed-circuit TV cam that has amazing range and quality that I'll mount underneath to view the front axle/wheels.

I'm still considering various mounting points but once decided, it'll probably take me no more than an hour to get them mounted and wired.

Hope this is helpful. Let me know if you have questions or ideas.

Cost: $70 or so for the wiring kit, backup cam $40, video switcher $10, monitor can be had for about $150 if you can find it anymore. Other cams were $40 and $80 I believe.

Time/Skill: 3 hours just because I take my time. Easy-Medium --- If you've ever installed a stereo/amp you can do this.

Last edited by wayoflifette; 03-15-2009 at 09:42 PM. Reason: edited direct link
Old 03-15-2009, 04:24 AM
JK Junkie

Very cool, keep us posted on the additional cameras, how is the fuse block working out?
Old 03-15-2009, 10:28 AM
JK Super Freak

Very nice. I'd like to see an indepth write-up on your fuse panel install. That would be a great help to all of us.
Old 03-17-2009, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

Quick Reply: Power distribution & backup camera install