Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Quick Air 2 Portable Improvement

Old 09-03-2007, 03:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Quick Air 2 Portable Improvement

The Quick Air 2 Portable air compressor has an on/off switch, and that's pretty much it. If you turn it on, you cannot block the flow of air -- or pressure will build-up, the compressor will over-heat, and something's gonna blow. That means you can't use a quick fill pressure gauge -- you have to overfill the tire by guess work, then measure, release, etc. It's a pain in the butt. So, I figured by adding a pressure switch and relay, the pump could turn itself off when pressure starts to build-up. That way I could use a quick fill gauge, and when reading the pressure in the tire, the pump would turn itself off, and then start again when I press on the fill handle. So I talked to my handy father-in-law and he figured it was worth a shot. I bought the Quick Air 2 Tank Install Kit # PA502B and the Quick Air 3 Pressure Switch # PS003. This gives me two types of pressure switches to play with. I'm currently using the QA3 switch that turns on at 55 PSI and off at 70 PSI (the QA2 switch is 80/105). In practice, when I release the fill handle on the gauge, it takes about 4-5 secs to turn itself off. I could easily read the tire pressure in that time and press the handle again, avoiding the off/on cycle. It's a very cool mod and works really well. I'm really stoked about using it. I also bought an extra 25 ft of line so I can leave the box in front of the Jeep and still reach both back tires. Here are a few pics. All build credit goes to Mike, my very handy father-in-law. :-)

js.

Last edited by jsmoriss; 09-03-2007 at 03:10 PM.
Old 09-03-2007, 03:08 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very nice. Are you planning on mounting it in the Jeep?
Old 10-27-2007, 09:34 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I like the idea..very cool!

Quick Reply: Quick Air 2 Portable Improvement