Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Removing and Installing PCV Valve

Old 03-02-2013, 09:39 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 168 Likes on 144 Posts

Originally Posted by TSLtrek
Great write up! Do NOT wait to 85k like I did today. The rubber on the valve gets rock hard and it would not come out with me standing on top of the engine pulling with a vise grips. Finally had to cut a block of wood to rest on top of the exhaust manifold and use it as a fulcrum for a big screw driver to lever the sucker out! big pucker moment!!
We are finding it happens a lot sooner than that, too.
It may be good to replace it early just to avoid the hardening of the rubber.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well that was a fun 10 minute project that took an hour. I replaced my PCV valve at 85K miles, and I'm pretty sure the previous owner never changed it based on the condition of the one that came out.

I tried the zip tie method, the multiple vise grip method, the vise grip plus hammer method. All to no avail. The top of the old valve was starting to collapse from all of the abuse, and I was concerned that I'd rip the top right off. So here's what I ended up doing.

I inserted a bolt onto the top of the valve to keep it from collapsing. Then I installed a hose clamp to give it some additional reinforcement. Then I clamped one set of vice grips as shown (photo was taken after the old valve was removed)

I then clamped another set of vice grip to the handle of the first set of vice grips at a 90 degree angle. Rotated the hood all the way up so it was resting on the roof of the jeep. I placed a piece of 2x4 on the cowl just in front of the windshield. Then I used a big, solid wooden dowl as a lever under the 2nd set of vice grips. Even then I had to exert a rediculous amount of force before it popped out.

The rubber sleeve on the old valve was rock hard and cracked:

When I reinstalled the breather hose, I replaced the retarded factory hose clamp with a standard threaded hose clamp.

So this little job is now on my 20K maintenance list. Hope this helps.

Last edited by deathwagon; 03-11-2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old 03-11-2013, 05:48 PM
JK Jedi Master

Great method and photos, deathwagon!

But holy cow, it's amazing such a little part takes such extreme measures.
Old 04-01-2013, 03:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just stumbled upon this write-up over the weekend, thanks a ton! My 07' has been drinking oil lately (91,000 miles) and I'm hoping this helps at least a little.

The zip ties didn't work for me either. I put a bolt inside the neck of the valve like others did to save it from collapsing, clamped a vise-grip on there, and used a screwdriver between the space in the vise-grip to pry it off. Took only a few minutes to switch out, thanks again!
Old 04-14-2013, 10:56 AM
JK Newbie

I just wrestled mine with Robostrips ... tough little sucker to pull out.
Old 04-15-2013, 02:44 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by mbanik
I just wrestled mine with Robostrips ... tough little sucker to pull out.
You must not be pulling out right lol
Old 05-28-2013, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

I just changed my PVC valve on my '07. I referenced this write-up & all the tips to get the job done. I ended up using the bolt method. I held the bolt in the valve with vicegrips in my left hand, & using the leverage of the intake, I pried up with set of basic pliers in my right on the bolthead. That sucker popped right out.
My valve seemed just fine after all those years. I have just under 69,000 miles on it.

Thanks again to all of you who share great ideas.
Old 05-29-2013, 07:11 AM
JK Newbie

Did this yesterday, Jeep has 150K on it, eats up a bit of oil, but nothing crazy like i have been reading. I have always used 10w-30 since first oil change mixed in with Lucas Oil. Great write up, zip tie worked for me; valve was still clicking and good, but i figured hec at 150K replace it...
Old 06-09-2013, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

Didn't work for me. I tried several different types of zip ties, but they all snapped. I guess that PCV valve was really in there. 6 years old and never been changed. I finally got it out after 3 beers and some 45 degree pliers. Wasnt pretty, but it's done. Using a socket to drive the new one in worked awesome.
Old 06-09-2013, 04:37 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by Oatz328
Didn't work for me. I tried several different types of zip ties, but they all snapped. I guess that PCV valve was really in there. 6 years old and never been changed. I finally got it out after 3 beers and some 45 degree pliers. Wasnt pretty, but it's done. Using a socket to drive the new one in worked awesome.
Your experience seems to be typical.
I've done several pcv valves and they all came out with zip ties. None had been in for 6 years, though.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-09-2013 at 04:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Removing and Installing PCV Valve