Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Removing radio in 2011 JK

Old 02-19-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing radio in 2011 JK

This is a fairly easy install. Plug and play, you pop your radio connections out and put the new radio connections right in. If you are like me going to a sirius radio from a non sirius you will need to purchase an antenna. If you going to a sirius radio you must purchase a sirius antenna an XM antenna will not fit it is a gnats ass too big ....trust me...I know.

Care must be taken with pulling off the plastic cover under the steering column and the dash assembly, there are little plastic tabs that can break off if you are not careful

There are a total of four 7mm hex screws that need to be removed.

Two are under the steering wheel

One on the right and one on the left

There is another under the cubby hole between the vents, I don't have power windows if you do you will need to remove the power window controls

The fourth and final screw is under the little tray on top of the dash, take out the rubber bottom piece to get to the screw.

You also must remove the glove box, I just squeezed in the sides and it came out..no screws

I installed the Sirius antenna above the passenger seat on the roll bar. My antenna had a magnet on it so I just put the antenna receiver on the top of the roll bar. Then I ran the wire under the foam padding that surrounds the roll bar.

I removed the plastic corner piece at the windshield, careful more plastic tabs, and fed the wire down the plastic molding into the side of the dash..I removed the side panel of the dash again more tabs.

I threaded the wire through the glove box and up to the radio. There was excess wire so I gathered up the extra and neatly zip tied it to the heat and air duct. You may find another place that is better, but that is where I put it.

Put the connectors onto the back of your new radio and plug in the antenna. Put all the pieces and screws back onto the dash and you are done. In total I paid $100including shipping for a near if not new 6cd Sirius radio that still has 6 months of Sirius still on it, and $40.00 for the antenna.

Last edited by jerseypeach; 02-19-2011 at 01:53 PM.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:14 PM
DJR
JK Enthusiast

Thanks for the write up and pictures. I may be attempting this myself shortly.
Old 03-22-2011, 02:39 PM
JK Newbie

Will this be the same for a 2010 2DR wrangler?

Quick Reply: Removing radio in 2011 JK