Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Runcool Louvers Installed

Old 07-07-2010, 07:19 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Very nice install

You really did a good job on this install. I myself do not think I could reproduce any of your work very well so I will need to find another option but this is awesome.
Old 07-19-2010, 02:45 PM
JK Enthusiast

TheMike,

Just thought I'd post and let you know I just did the hood louver mod today and I really like the way it looks. I had a hiccup though and was a dummy and started drilling the holes for the rivets with the louvers in place...put a nice half moon in my louver. SOOooo, I decided to spray paint the whole thing with the high temp BBQ spray paint. I think it still came out pretty decent. So here are some pics with it installed. I got the 9x14, slightly smaller, but I think it still looks good....
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00230-20100719-1819..jpg
Views:	246
Size:	58.0 KB
ID:	77466   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00231-20100719-1820..jpg
Views:	223
Size:	98.2 KB
ID:	77467   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00232-20100719-1821..jpg
Views:	204
Size:	97.6 KB
ID:	77468   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG00228-20100719-1818..jpg
Views:	239
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	77469  
Old 07-19-2010, 02:48 PM
JK Enthusiast

Also, I want to paint the rivets black instead of leaving them silver....anyone know if the touch-up paint from an auto store would do the trick? I don't really feel like taping everything off and cutting each rivet out to paint them with spray paint.....

Anyway, thanks again for the write-up. It was clear and easy to follow. I don't think I had any REAL issues doing the install.
Old 07-19-2010, 04:20 PM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They look good VaNomad0530. I wouldn't have noticed you painted them if you hadn't mentioned it.

I wouldn't recommend painting the rivets. My belief is that the paint will peel off and given that they are already on I would imagine getting them painted in a uniform way might be hard....unless you tape off the hood and paint over everything again including the louvers???

I don't want to take away from what you did now as it can't be undone now but for anyone else considering the smaller set of louvers I would recommend moving them outward on the hood instead of the center as we did. I didn't go outward because I did the big ones and the big ones would have been over my intake and it's in the open. Smaller would have fit just fine outboard though.

Just my opinion but they do look good no matter!!
Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheMike
They look good VaNomad0530. I wouldn't have noticed you painted them if you hadn't mentioned it.

I wouldn't recommend painting the rivets. My belief is that the paint will peel off and given that they are already on I would imagine getting them painted in a uniform way might be hard....unless you tape off the hood and paint over everything again including the louvers???

I don't want to take away from what you did now as it can't be undone now but for anyone else considering the smaller set of louvers I would recommend moving them outward on the hood instead of the center as we did. I didn't go outward because I did the big ones and the big ones would have been over my intake and it's in the open. Smaller would have fit just fine outboard though.

Just my opinion but they do look good no matter!!
Yea, I thought about that after the fact too It's okay though...it actually made it a lot easier to line up with the center though the way you did it. Thanks for the input and no worries about the criticism....if I get annoyed with the small ones, I could always go bigger if I wanted to However...I think I'm good with what I got for now Thanks again
Old 07-20-2010, 03:58 AM
JK Newbie

I think the XL ones are HUGE. It would make the hood look more louver than hood. I made paper templates of both the LG and XL before I decided on the LG. No reason to keep the loop or nipples if you never plan to put the windshield down but still, the XL seemed out of place to me.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:11 PM
JK Newbie

Yes, there is a noticable reduction. When sitting still and the engine fan is on it's pretty damn impressive how much air is getting forced out the vents. I don't have numbers for you BUT the biggest difference is when I am moving. The vents definately let the hot air escape quickly.

Takes a fraction of the time to cool off the engine bay (based on intake temps) when moving.

IMHO, well worth the money and effort to install. Functional is all I really cared about and the rest is icing on the cake.
Old 09-02-2010, 03:26 PM
JK Super Freak

I want some so bad, just can't pull the trigger on $200 for some louvers. I think they look pretty bad a$$.
Old 09-02-2010, 07:35 PM
JK Enthusiast

I am looking to get mine next month I bought a take off hood, after getting my lockers and regear done I am ready to louver and paint my hood.
Old 09-04-2010, 03:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jstubbs_1982
For anyone that is thinking of doing the louvers... a little FYI the engine compartment of the JK runs hot, and to think that when wheeling there can be minimal air movement past your engine unless you upgrade your fan. Even then the air has no where to go. So this mod. is not really just for looks but should me considered a must for any one that does any extended amount of off highway driving.
Are you a car salesmen, if so your pretty good. I'm going to order some next week know.

Quick Reply: Runcool Louvers Installed