Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Small diameter driveshafts.

Old 04-19-2016, 05:59 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Small diameter driveshafts.

I have grease being thrown from the CV shaft close to transfer case in the front. Anyway I also have a torn boot from the exhaust.
I saw that Adams makes a 2" driveshaft. Wondering if anyone else does. The more clearance the better.

I'd like to get rid of that CV joint also if possible.
I was thinking 1310 yokes and I guess the non greasable slicer is stronger? I've been reading up on this and undecided on what to do.
Old 04-19-2016, 06:48 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 363 Likes on 289 Posts

It should be stronger due to it not having a hole thru it. Most aftermarket driveshafts have a small diameter body. The greasable ones are fine and proper gearing in terms of tires size is a consideration if you want to keep from breaking u-joints.
Old 04-19-2016, 04:33 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
It should be stronger due to it not having a hole thru it. Most aftermarket driveshafts have a small diameter body. The greasable ones are fine and proper gearing in terms of tires size is a consideration if you want to keep from breaking u-joints.
I think, and may be completely wrong, but the strength you look for in a driveshaft comes from allowing it to twist as torque is applied and I think (again with the imho disclaimer here) you are better off with a hollow tube shaft. Of course the shorter a shaft is the less this may play into it, but.....
Old 04-20-2016, 02:23 AM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by zstairlessone
I think, and may be completely wrong, but the strength you look for in a driveshaft comes from allowing it to twist as torque is applied and I think (again with the imho disclaimer here) you are better off with a hollow tube shaft. Of course the shorter a shaft is the less this may play into it, but.....
He is referring to the U-joints being solid vs being cross drilled for grease, not the drive shaft tube itself.
A solid body Spicer is stronger than a cross drilled. If you have a cross drilled greasable joint with a grease fitting in the web, indexing the grease fitting correctly is a must-do for strength. You want the grease fitting in compression, not in tension. It makes a huge change in the breaking strength of the joint.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:05 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TheDirtman
Jeep is a Rubicon with 4:10 gears. Later I'm planning on 5:13s. But as of now trying to figure out what front driveshaft to use. And joints.
Old 04-21-2016, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Dropped it off at the dealership. Going to see if they will warranty this one. They have done some stuff in the past. I'll still do an aftermarket one but at least I'll have a good back up or something to sell later.
Old 04-22-2016, 04:46 PM
JK Enthusiast

Well as you would have guessed. No warranty for this.

Ordered an Adams front shaft from northridge 4x4. 1310 yokes
Old 04-23-2016, 05:35 AM
HV
JK Enthusiast

Cool

Hello

you had mentioned Adams Drive shafts , recently I had ordered a drive shaft from them and the FEDEX idiot tossed it over a six foot fence ( i,m not kidding) it weighs close to 40lbs . I called back Dan at Adams explained the situation to him. with no hesitation he had a new drive shaft made and shipped next day air in less then 24hrs at no charge , i had my new rear drive shaft . Amazing product and customer support if your looking for new drive shafts for your rig TRUST ME there the best in the business. I'm running front and rear Adams 1350 drive shafts on 38s 0n 488 and it is smooth no vibrations at any speeds even High speeds Thank you Dan & Adams drive shafts simply the best

Last edited by HV; 04-23-2016 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-23-2016, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

That's good news. I'll probably do 1350 in the rear someday. It shipped the same day i purchased it.

Quick Reply: Small diameter driveshafts.