Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper Install w/HID lights

Old 03-24-2009, 07:59 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper Install w/HID lights

Hi all, I just received my Smittybilt XRC front bumper today and couldn't wait to install it. I must say, it was tremendously easy. I had already removed my stock bumper for another aftermarket bumper but was unhappy with it so I decided to go with an XRC that matches my rear bumper. I'll be adding a winch soon but need to decide on one (or find a sponsor ). I did however add some HID lights and a set of Smittybilt shackles.

Now since I had already removed the stock bumper, I won't go into detail on how to do it since there's already a hundred posts on here about it. But here is what I started with.

The bumper comes in a pretty large box and was well packed and protected.

The instructions take you through about 4 or 5 steps and were decently written. The hardware pack came with everything you'll need and I did a quick inventory to make sure it was all there. About the only tools you'll need are a 18mm socket with a few extensions and a 1/2" drill bit with drill. I also used a rubber mallet to persuade the bumper to fit after the next step.

As you can see in the pic above with my stock bumper removed, there are two large plates with 4 holes drilled in them that are already attached to the Jeep. The first step involves you drilling out the top outer holes on each plate using a 1/2" drill bit. I found it beneficial to drill these 2 holes a little larger than that to aid in getting the bolts to go through.

The XRC bumper already has 3 of the 4 bolts welded to the plates that matches up to the Jeep's plates. You simply line up the XRC bumper with the holes and then add a washer, lock washer and nut. It was in this step where I used the rubber mallet to persuade the bumper to seat onto the factory rail.

For the 4th bolt on each plate, you screw in an additonal bolt with washer, lock washer and nut. It looks like this (top bolt).

It's really that simple. It also recommends that you tap and drill out 4 holes along the bottom of the XRC bumper that matches up to a stock bar that runs the length between the two plates, but I will do that later since the set-up was very solid.

Here's what the bumper looks like installed.

I also decided to wire up two 4" HID lights and tapped into the stock fog light wiring so I could reuse the factory switches. The HIDs draw very little amperage so I'm not worried about blowing fuses, etc. After the install, I had them on for more than 15 min while I adjusted them and took these photos.

Here's a pic of the splice into the factory wiring (before I buttoned it all up).

And with the HIDs on by themselves and then with the factory headlights.

Last edited by JPTwinz; 06-22-2009 at 11:23 AM. Reason: deleted old pic
Old 03-24-2009, 08:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

how do you like the rear bumper , I have the front classic and I am thinking about the rear I had to give it a couple good smacks to,
Very
Nice
Rig

Last edited by milehighjk; 03-24-2009 at 08:16 PM.
Old 03-24-2009, 08:24 PM
JK Super Freak

For the money, I don't think there is another contender vs the XRC series. I got my rear with tire carrier (which holds my 40" tire) + hitch for less than $700. Even for $1200 I couldn't find one that would hold a 40" tire. The fit & finish are great and the look is awesome too!
Old 03-24-2009, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

I love the bumper...I have the same one.
Old 03-25-2009, 04:38 AM
JK Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

WOW!!!! It looks very nice! I like it even better than your first bumper.

Just noticed that angle on your trackbar... You might want to think about a bracket. Sure that would be very helpful.

Old 03-25-2009, 05:40 AM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yup i love my xrc's also!!!!!!!!!!!!have fun mounting the winch though with it mounted you can't get to the rear bolt's too easy, have fun looks great!!!!!
Old 03-25-2009, 05:50 AM
JK Junkie

x 2 on mounting the winch. i watched a bud install a winch on his same bumper and the rear bolts werent easy to get to.

Which xenons are those? narrows? Your entire rig looks great
Old 03-25-2009, 07:10 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by racer83l
Which xenons are those? narrows? Your entire rig looks great
Thanks for the comments guys.

The Xenons are the 1.5" narrow style.
Old 03-25-2009, 07:34 AM
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bOLsAK=3
WOW!!!! It looks very nice! I like it even better than your first bumper.

Just noticed that angle on your trackbar... You might want to think about a bracket. Sure that would be very helpful.
Not needed. Angles look great.

Old 03-25-2009, 07:43 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JPTwinz
Hi all, I just received my Smittybilt XRC front bumper today and couldn't wait to install it. I must say, it was tremendously easy. I had already removed my stock bumper for another aftermarket bumper but was unhappy with it so I decided to go with an XRC that matches my rear bumper. I'll be addeding a winch soon but need to decide on one (or find a sponsor ). I did however add some HID lights and a set of Smittybilt shackles.
You can be my sponsor and send me your old bumper

Sweet Ride

Quick Reply: Smittybilt XRC Front Bumper Install w/HID lights