Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Smitybilt XRC Armor Front Fenders and Rear Corner Guards

Old 04-23-2011, 09:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jllaclair
How can smitybuilt advertise, "no modification or drilling, complete bolt on design". To me that is a flat out lie. To me a mod is some thing you bolt on and something you DON'T need to drill into your jeep panels. although I am buying them, I bought them on a whim because I liked the looks, and now that I bought the fronts I HAVE to buy the rears and in doing so, I have found you need to drill several holes into the rear quarter panel. Complete bolt on design, should be what it means, to bolt on, as smitybilt states, no drilling required. The last thing I wanted to do was drill into my body. I live on the East coast, and we have a lot more rain, salt, and snow to cause rust and damage to the drilled areas. You can coat them with paint but it will never hold up as from the factory, un-drilled.
jeff
I was thinking the same thing. I still like these but the installation is steering me away. Not that I can't do it but if you drill into the body you can't go back to factory not that I would want to but they make these seem a hell of a lot easier to install then whats been listed on this forum. Hell, I'll probably still get them.
Old 04-25-2011, 12:49 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jllaclair
How can smitybuilt advertise, "no modification or drilling, complete bolt on design". To me that is a flat out lie. To me a mod is some thing you bolt on and something you DON'T need to drill into your jeep panels. although I am buying them, I bought them on a whim because I liked the looks, and now that I bought the fronts I HAVE to buy the rears and in doing so, I have found you need to drill several holes into the rear quarter panel. Complete bolt on design, should be what it means, to bolt on, as smitybilt states, no drilling required. The last thing I wanted to do was drill into my body. I live on the East coast, and we have a lot more rain, salt, and snow to cause rust and damage to the drilled areas. You can coat them with paint but it will never hold up as from the factory, un-drilled.
jeff
For the fronts, I think stating bolt on is fair. The only drilling you do is to the tack welds inside the cowls which is very minimal. As for the rears, the concept of bolt on is way off. There should be some disclaimer on the rear denoting the need to drill IMO.

This is exactly why is mentioned getting a copy of the installation instructions first. It's a big investment in time and effort. In my case, I had put my rear passenger side into a felled tree on the trail the month before. The rear tub was damaged and my rear passenger fender basically exploded so drilling wasn't going to hurt.

Now that I've had these for 5 months, I thought I would add a few more insights for those considering.

Pros
- Sturdy, sturdy, sturdy... Its hard to picture having 3/16 steel on all 4 corners, but remember many aftermarket bumpers are made from the same stuff. I've already leaned a good portion of my jeeps weight on another tree and the fenders held up solid. Big difference from plastic and thin sheet metal.
- Clearance is incredible. At full flex I still have 3 inches before my tires come anywhere near to rubbing... On top of that, these fenders are so narrow, that my mirrors are now the widest parts of the jeep. Not a bad problem to have considering they also fold in

Cons
- Water and dirt everywhere! You front tires have virtually no coverage so when you hit a puddle or you are turning in the rain, water hits the windshield, doors and anything left on the side of the jeep. It doesn't take much. RainX is your friend...
- Good luck finding snorkels... Due to the configuration, some of the more popular snorkels are not going to work with these fenders. Specifically, AEV and anything where the snorkel comes out of the side of the hood. There is about a 1.5 inch drop from side edge of the hood down to the stock fenders. The AEV snorkels use this space. The XRC fenders do not have this as the fender comes straight out from the hoods edge. The only snorkels I have seen that can be used come out through the hood cowl. Here are the ones I have found so far... Wild Boar (in development), River Raider expedition snorkel, Volant...

So far that's all I have!
Old 04-25-2011, 01:57 PM
JK Freak

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

nice write-up -- can't believe I didn't see this before.....it's also good to see another northwest AR fella on here, great lookin' rig!! where do you typically go wheeling?

Sam
Old 04-25-2011, 06:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default X2

Yes, thanks for the pro and con. I called smitybuilt a few weeks ago and they are in final production for the front fenders. They tested them with CA. , but did not pass their inspection so went back to r&d. Hopefully by the time I install mine they will have them in production. I can most likely getaway with the rear fenders here in Maryland, but the fronts will definitely get a ticket until I get my fenders.
Old 05-10-2011, 08:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

Anyone seen these on a factory 4 door Sahara...not that the Sahara part matters but I'm referring more to the 32" factory tires and 18" wheels. I want these but...wondering what level of goofy my JK will become between installation and new tires/wheels/lift.
Old 05-10-2011, 11:22 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write-up.

When my JK becomes a secondary vehicle this will be the first mod.
It'll be paid for this year, but I have to but the wifey a new ride first.
Old 05-11-2011, 04:51 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by PharmNip
Anyone seen these on a factory 4 door Sahara...not that the Sahara part matters but I'm referring more to the 32" factory tires and 18" wheels. I want these but...wondering what level of goofy my JK will become between installation and new tires/wheels/lift.
Guess it depends how long you can stand it. Maybe since your not lifting it at the same time it will be a more subtle difference. Then again, then fenders are the opposite of subtle. The 3 days I went with my lift and factory tires bout drove me insane
Old 05-11-2011, 05:39 AM
JK Newbie

Anyone got these on a black 2 door?
Old 05-11-2011, 02:10 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by jvandy50

Guess it depends how long you can stand it. Maybe since your not lifting it at the same time it will be a more subtle difference. Then again, then fenders are the opposite of subtle. The 3 days I went with my lift and factory tires bout drove me insane
True. I probably should do the lifting and stuff first. Otherwise it will look like a tank with scooter wheels.
Old 05-16-2011, 07:49 PM
JK Newbie

Ok Ive got a Stone white 2dr Rubicon, has anyone thought about buying these and matching it up with the color of your JK? I think I may try it out... If I decide to purchase them.

Quick Reply: Smitybilt XRC Armor Front Fenders and Rear Corner Guards