Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Spare tire lock - $7.99

Old 10-19-2015, 08:06 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spare tire lock - $7.99

hi,

This is a common mod for swing away tire carriers ive seen.

its a little difficult to reach back and hold the back side. i may configure a way to retain the hidden section later. but given that we shouldn't have to hopefully access the spare that often im good with it for now.

My stock wheels allow ample room to reach through and access the back.

HF ITEM 97149:

Size is just over 4 inches, and the shaft is 15/16th long:

Used a HF step drill bit and drilled a 1/4 inch hole and passed the back in through:

Mounted pics:

I left it key out - similar to the popular "bolt lock" option.

if you want a cleaner look and dont mind fussing reaching back in there then i would recommend this CURT model lock. it has a head thats very flush looking with the wheel hole and doesn't protrude.

its very popular in the swing out style spare tire carriers since you can easily access the other side.

Fulton BHLO Universal Coupler lock for trailers

i drilled a 1/4 inch hole....im gonna try drilling a 15/64 inch hole on the remaining open wheel hole on the other side of the tire carrier and look for a tighter fit. the shaft is not exactly 1/4 inch and wondering if i drilled a 15/64 i would get a snugger fit.

i plan on swinging by the hardware store and also looking for a star lock washer, to slip over the shaft and keep me from having to reach back there when removing and reinstalling the lock.

-J
Old 10-25-2015, 09:30 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think I am going to buy that.

Impressive! ANd much better than the home-made version I was going to make with a hitch pin (ground down) and with a hole drilled into the end so a small padlock could be placed on it. And it would be accessed back behind the tire carrier just like in your post.

I am also surprised that it has a dimple lock instead of the usual cheap wafer locks almost all trailer hitch locks use. Little harder to pick open.
Old 10-26-2015, 03:35 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Definitely a cheaper alternative. Those locks are notorious for seizing up. Load it up with Never Seize compound.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:52 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by LidLess07X
Definitely a cheaper alternative. Those locks are notorious for seizing up. Load it up with Never Seize compound.
ahh, your right,. good idea..

-J
Old 10-29-2015, 11:46 AM
JK Newbie

Good plan!

Quick Reply: Spare tire lock - $7.99