Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Spray in Liner - UPOL Raptor Tintable: Deep Water Blue

Old 01-10-2011, 07:12 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Coondog33
This looks great...this is my spring project...quick question...how did the storage cover come out...I wanna spray it...but didnt know how it would stick to the "fuz"...
I think it came out pretty good, the color matches up pretty close to everything else (see pics in above thread). It seemed to stick to it good, it still looks "fuzzy", but its hard now. I want to let it cure for a few more days before I put it back in and start throwing stuff on it. Im curious myself to see how it will hold up long term, if nothing else its definitely blue now!
Old 01-10-2011, 12:22 PM
JK Freak

???? How do you get the linter tinted. Do you have to take it to an autobody shop???
Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 07BLUEJK
???? How do you get the linter tinted. Do you have to take it to an autobody shop???
You have to buy the UPOL tintable kit first of all, the goop in the bottles is white rather than black in the standard black kit. Then I just went to a local auto parts store and gave them the factory paint code that the dealership gave me and they mixed me up a can of it. When you are ready to do the actual spray, you just mix the hardner and 10% paint (I ended up using 75ml of paint with each UPOL bottle) all in the UPOL bottle and shake it up really good for a couple minutes and you are ready to spray

On a side note, about the only thing I screwed up was with the hardner. The directions say to use 250ml of hardner with each UPOL bottle, so I figured I would pre-measure out 4 cups @ 250ml each and be ready to mix. I found out the hardway that a Solo plastic cup will not hold the hardner, it eats thru the plastic cup in a matter of minutes. I lost 2 of the cups all over the work bench and had to run down to a buddys paint shop and get some more hardner from him to finish the job
Old 01-10-2011, 04:32 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by mark9998
You have to buy the UPOL tintable kit first of all, the goop in the bottles is white rather than black in the standard black kit. Then I just went to a local auto parts store and gave them the factory paint code that the dealership gave me and they mixed me up a can of it. When you are ready to do the actual spray, you just mix the hardner and 10% paint (I ended up using 75ml of paint with each UPOL bottle) all in the UPOL bottle and shake it up really good for a couple minutes and you are ready to spray

On a side note, about the only thing I screwed up was with the hardner. The directions say to use 250ml of hardner with each UPOL bottle, so I figured I would pre-measure out 4 cups @ 250ml each and be ready to mix. I found out the hardway that a Solo plastic cup will not hold the hardner, it eats thru the plastic cup in a matter of minutes. I lost 2 of the cups all over the work bench and had to run down to a buddys paint shop and get some more hardner from him to finish the job
Thanks,......
Old 01-10-2011, 04:36 PM
JK Super Freak

Awesome!! and I like the color too!!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:15 AM
JK Newbie

that looks really amazing! I herculined mine and was pleased but the spray in liner looks amazing. Is it like LineX or stronger? or can it get scratched off??

Great job, it looks amazing
Old 01-16-2011, 02:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Whats the difference between the UPOL you used and herculiner? I was planning on herculining the bed. Herculiner makes black, gray and I think red. I have a gray 2 door but I wouldn't mind the contrasting black floor color.
Old 01-16-2011, 03:54 PM
JK Enthusiast

I just saw this. Looks awesome!! Nice to see an option for us DWB owners. Nice work
Old 01-16-2011, 04:59 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by John Smith
that looks really amazing! I herculined mine and was pleased but the spray in liner looks amazing. Is it like LineX or stronger? or can it get scratched off??

Great job, it looks amazing
thanks. Yes this is like LineX, but I cant say for sure if it is any stronger or not. My step dad has his CJ rhino lined and it feels pretty similar to that, and his has held up really well over the last couple years. Since Ive only had mine in for about a week I cant say for sure if it can be scratched off or not, I guess time will tell. I will update after about 6months and let you know how it seems to be holding up. I dont think its fully cured yet becuase it still stinks inside!
Old 01-16-2011, 05:02 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by coorsfan
Whats the difference between the UPOL you used and herculiner? I was planning on herculining the bed. Herculiner makes black, gray and I think red. I have a gray 2 door but I wouldn't mind the contrasting black floor color.
The herculiner is a roll in style and the UPOL is a spray in. All the pictures I have seen on line of the herculiner installs just didnt look as good as the spray-in styles, so that is why I chose to use the UPOL. It sprays very easy so dont be afraid that you cant do it!

Quick Reply: Spray in Liner - UPOL Raptor Tintable: Deep Water Blue