Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Stopping people from opening your hood into the windshield for $6 or less

Old 06-26-2007, 04:40 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stopping people from opening your hood into the windshield for $6 or less

This can go in the "write up" forum or just stay here I had noticed numerous people complain about the dealers and other grease monkeys opening the hood of their shiny JK and resting it on the windshield.
BAAAAD JUJU
I like to add my OWN fawkin scratches, thank you. And I would prefer them NOT during an oil change.
Simple solution: Limit strap.
Simpler solution: self RETRACTING limit strap
Best solution: one I do not have to make.

I think "WAYYYTHEFUCK outside the box" on Jeep stuff. Here is a simple $6 solution to this issue.

Most hardware stores carry this nice self retracting chain style limiting device with tempered spring loop containment system and self latching auto-back with high polish chrome finish..
Or, A Retractable key chain..

They are $6, buy 2 when the first one rusts out in a few years

Please note pre-existing hole in fender.

Insert clip back into said hole. Real hard huh?

Slip key ring over "hood insulation tab" as shown and add a zip tie to prevent movement.

and TAAADAAAAAAA OMFG!!11!!!

simple solution.
Any questions, comments or concerns for today's class on thinking outside the box?

No, this will NOT prevent the wind from whipping it back or any kinda force but it is OVIOUS and you would have to put some effort to snap it.

Last edited by usmcdoc14; 06-26-2007 at 04:56 PM.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:02 PM
JK Freak

Wow I haven't had a hood problem yet but I will be running out in the morning and getting myself something like that before I take my Jeep in for it's first service.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:06 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Northernmedic
Wow I haven't had a hood problem yet but I will be running out in the morning and getting myself something like that before I take my Jeep in for it's first service.
some oil change places and dealers like to be lazy and open the hood and rest it on the windshield. There have been a couple threads here of people a little pissed as scratches on the hood and windshield frame from it.
Ya, I know its a Jeep and they get scratched and dented but I would like to be the cause of those dents
Old 06-26-2007, 06:09 PM
JK Jedi Master

Originally Posted by usmcdoc14
some oil change places and dealers like to be lazy and open the hood and rest it on the windshield. There have been a couple threads here of people a little pissed as scratches on the hood and windshield frame from it.
Ya, I know its a Jeep and they get scratched and dented but I would like to be the cause of those dents
no kidding, i'll take good trail damage any day over some dumbass service guy or from a grocery cart. them dings piss me off, a big ol dent from a tree is nothing.
Old 06-26-2007, 06:26 PM
pup
JK Enthusiast

Awesome idea! If I can remember something for a change, I'll pick one of these things up next time I visit the Depot ...
Old 06-27-2007, 01:29 PM
JK Newbie

Friend of mine on his TJ installed a second pair of the rubber hood bumpers that support the windshield when folded down and positioned them to support the hood against the top of the windshield when folded all the way back. Sometimes it is nice to fold the hood all the way back to provide more light in the engine compartment and more room for access. I would guess that mechanics would simply disconnect the limit chain when they need access.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:52 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by ky8t
Friend of mine on his TJ installed a second pair of the rubber hood bumpers that support the windshield when folded down and positioned them to support the hood against the top of the windshield when folded all the way back. Sometimes it is nice to fold the hood all the way back to provide more light in the engine compartment and more room for access. I would guess that mechanics would simply disconnect the limit chain when they need access.
You are absolutely correct in saying that mechanics could simply disconne t the limit chain when they want but at the end of the day, if any damage is done to the paint on either the hood or to the top of the windshield you will have a much stronger case against the shop or dealership. You will be much more likely to have any repairs performed with much less of a fight
Old 06-27-2007, 02:25 PM
JK Enthusiast

Good idea, but I'm willing to bet that the tab will bend on the hood before the chain breaks. Those little chains are pretty stout, the weak spot is the peened end of the eyelet, it wears out by the swivel action. I think in this case the weak spot is the open end of the eyelet. It may also interfere with the required service to the plugs, brake and clutch systems. At that point it'll get disconnected (yanked) off the hood, and then the hood closed down on whatever is sticking up.
I did a direct approach and walked out in the shop and asked the guy to not flip the hood to the windshield and pointed out the prop rod. It was free and now the guy knows I care about stuff like that. But he probably spit in the oil later when I wasn't looking. Hope it works out good for you, good luck!!

I'm thinking of painting the prop rod a really obnoxious color along with an outline around the hole in the hood, and maybe an insert rod here sticker.....
Old 06-27-2007, 02:32 PM
JK Freak

I usually just carry around a big stick for such a thing. I get the best results at the dealers with it........
Old 06-27-2007, 03:14 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 00pumpkin
I usually just carry around a big stick for such a thing. I get the best results at the dealers with it........
Do you hit em before or after they dent your hood?

Quick Reply: Stopping people from opening your hood into the windshield for $6 or less