Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Stubby Front and Rear Bumpers with covered ends...

Old 05-03-2007, 06:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ARe you being sarcastic? Either way, my answer is the same. I used a soldering iron with a flat tip. I took my time, each end took 20-25 minutes. They seem very secure. Either way, I love the look tons over stock.
Old 05-03-2007, 07:44 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by jeepinoutwest
ARe you being sarcastic? Either way, my answer is the same. I used a soldering iron with a flat tip. I took my time, each end took 20-25 minutes. They seem very secure. Either way, I love the look tons over stock.
haha, nah man i'm not being sarcastic, I used a torch and mine looks nasty! so you actually used the soldering tip? didn't think of that... maybe I missed the point somewhere, but the torch worked, just made it look all smooth and melted though... but not like nicely smooth, like nasty lumpy uneven smooth.... but i do like the look. but yours looks really good, I would love to do mine over if i could make the end caps look as clean as yours.
Old 05-06-2007, 07:52 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey Jeepinoutwest,
Good job and congrats on having the balls to cut-up your bumpers!
My welds looked just like yours, then I heated and ran my thumb over them to smooth them a little. I liked how it made them look a little more like real welds. I like what you did for the rear bumper with the cut ends, instead of bending them like I did...
Old 05-06-2007, 08:26 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Rubidozer
Hey Jeepinoutwest,
Good job and congrats on having the balls to cut-up your bumpers!
My welds looked just like yours, then I heated and ran my thumb over them to smooth them a little. I liked how it made them look a little more like real welds. I like what you did for the rear bumper with the cut ends, instead of bending them like I did...
Is that what you did to make your welds look smoother... used your thumb?? Can we see some pics of what your thumb looked like afterwards?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:05 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Is that what you did to make your welds look smoother... used your thumb?? Can we see some pics of what your thumb looked like afterwards?
Old 05-08-2007, 02:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Imagine a deep-fried pickle, and that's pretty close....
Old 05-10-2007, 12:50 PM
JK Enthusiast

I apologize in advance if this is an ignorant question.
So you put the two desired edges together right? And in soldering terms, I dont know anything about welding, what do you use as the solder to join the edges?
Or do you just touch the edges and melt the edges together as is?

Thanks in advance
Old 05-10-2007, 06:52 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Major Ho
I apologize in advance if this is an ignorant question.
So you put the two desired edges together right? And in soldering terms, I dont know anything about welding, what do you use as the solder to join the edges?
Or do you just touch the edges and melt the edges together as is?

Thanks in advance
I used a soldering-iron that runs on butane fuel. I stitched the two pieces together by heating them and stabbing the tip through the pieces and smoothed them with the torch-tip of the soldering-iron.
If you read the earlier posts in this thread, you will find more info...
Old 05-10-2007, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by Rubidozer
I used a soldering-iron that runs on butane fuel. I stitched the two pieces together by heating them and stabbing the tip through the pieces and smoothed them with the torch-tip of the soldering-iron.
If you read the earlier posts in this thread, you will find more info...
ah.... that's what i did wrong! I just put the pieces together and torched them until they melted together, that's why mine look so bad...

"I see." said the blind man.....

Thanks dozer, next time I'll know what to do!
Old 05-11-2007, 01:40 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default Ok Id like to take this mod one step further

Ok I need advice. After stubbing my rear bumper (love it), I feel as though the license plate sticks out like a sore thumb. Id like to relocate it so that both rear quarters look symetrical. Any suggestions. See pic for what I mean.

Quick Reply: Stubby Front and Rear Bumpers with covered ends...