Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Tailgate shock project Done!!

Old 03-23-2007, 02:16 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Woods
Like this?

looks great man, way to go, i'm going to have to do this now. thanks for the idea.
Old 03-24-2007, 12:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can we get a pic from inside with the door closed?

HEFTY
Old 03-24-2007, 01:07 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I like it. It looks very clean! Good job!
Old 03-24-2007, 03:40 PM
JeepSWAG
Sponsoring Manufacturer

Originally Posted by HEFTY
Can we get a pic from inside with the door closed?

HEFTY
This do it?

Old 03-27-2007, 01:33 PM
JK Freak

thats a great install there, i didn't fully understand what u all where talking about until i started removing the hardtop and the dang door kept slamming on my legs , hitting me in the backside with enough force to shoot me thru the front window LOL
Old 04-15-2007, 06:08 PM
JK Newbie

Thumbs up

[QUOTE=Woods;50897]Same project. I chose to use the Ball Joint shocks, and standard Ball Joint Brackets. I used Nutserts to mount the brackets to the sheet metal. You could easily through-bolt the brackets behind the Subwoofer. Access is easy by removing the taillight. I had to use 1/2" spacers for both brackets. All parts purchased at West Marine. A 40 Lb. shock is better, as there is less leverage with this approach.

This is my first jeep and my biggest complaint about it is the tailgate. My driveway is not level by any means so i am always having an issue trying to put my husbands wheelchair in the back and trying to hold the door open at the same time. This is exactly what we were wanting to do but had not looked into how to go about it. The pics are great! Thank you so much, it is a big help. Can you tell me which parts from west marine you used? like which shock and brackets?
Old 04-15-2007, 06:28 PM
JK Jedi

[QUOTE=instantclogger;64793]
Originally Posted by Woods
Same project. I chose to use the Ball Joint shocks, and standard Ball Joint Brackets. I used Nutserts to mount the brackets to the sheet metal. You could easily through-bolt the brackets behind the Subwoofer. Access is easy by removing the taillight. I had to use 1/2" spacers for both brackets. All parts purchased at West Marine. A 40 Lb. shock is better, as there is less leverage with this approach.

This is my first jeep and my biggest complaint about it is the tailgate. My driveway is not level by any means so i am always having an issue trying to put my husbands wheelchair in the back and trying to hold the door open at the same time. This is exactly what we were wanting to do but had not looked into how to go about it. The pics are great! Thank you so much, it is a big help. Can you tell me which parts from west marine you used? like which shock and brackets?

If you go to west marine there are only a couple to choose from, 10lbs up to 90lbs and the ball sockets are hanging right there with them in stainless or black.
Old 04-15-2007, 06:47 PM
JK Newbie

We don't have a west marine in alabama that i know of. I went to their website and there are like 12 different 40# shock/supports (whatever you want to call them) and there are zinc brackets and staneless steel brackets. That's why i was wondering what you had used, like what the length was and which type of bracket. I looked at the supports at autozone today and there was probably 100 different ones but they didn't have brackets. i'll check out the local marine shops this week. Thanks!
Old 04-15-2007, 07:35 PM
JK Jedi

I believe this is the one. Gas Lift Charged 20inx40 Lb 8508871 1837 Only $22.49 USD

Hopefully Woods will chime in and verify. I haven't done it yet but I did stop by my local west marine and looked at them. That is the price and length they were.
Old 04-15-2007, 08:00 PM
JK Newbie

LOL! I didn't even pay attention to who had replied to my post. Sorry about that I just assumed it was Woods and never even looked. It's been a looooong day!

Thanks for the info. This is my first jeep and this forum has been a HUGE source of information for me.
So far the only problem i've had was 2 days ago when the infamous "stall bug" struck. I was really hoping that wasn't going to happen but no such luck. :|

Quick Reply: Tailgate shock project Done!!