Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Teraflex HD steering stabilizer

Old 10-18-2014, 08:38 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Teraflex HD steering stabilizer

Click image for larger version

Name:	Side-by-Side.jpg
Views:	618
Size:	99.3 KB
ID:	580413
Though I didn’t realize it at the time, I suppose it all started last spring — that’s when I first noticed Smokey jerking hard to one side whenever I drove over a substantial bump at speed. Since I travel the same roads going to and from work each day, I attributed the problem to poor workmanship during recent roadwork. Then I noticed the oil on the floor of the garage.

Looking under the Jeep, I was relieved to see to the source wasn’t the engine, but a blown seal on Smokey’s steering stabilizer. A little research and a few clicks sent a suitable Teraflex replacement on its way.

While the installation wasn’t quite the cake walk the company’s installation video suggested, it nonetheless was simple enough for a novice wrencher like me.

Materials/tools needed:
  • Teraflex heavy duty steering stabilizer (Part No. 1513001)
  • 18 mm box wrench
  • 13 mm box wrench
  • Torque wrench
  • 18 mm socket
  • Shop towel (optional)

Step 1: Remove the OEM stabilizer

Name:	IMG_3081.jpg
Views:	555
Size:	86.9 KB
ID:	580414
Using an 18 mm box wrench, remove the track-bar-side bolt and tie-rod-side nut holding on the Mopar stabilizer shock. Retain the 18 mm nuts for use with the Teraflex unit. A quick inspection of the removed shock confirmed its obsolescence. A single finger could easily collapse and expand the leaky shock.

Step 2: Test fit Teraflex stabilizer

Name:	IMG_3087.jpg
Views:	430
Size:	42.3 KB
ID:	580417
Remove the new stabilizer shock and hardware package from the box. Push the included sleeves into the bushings on the shock. Then, slip the Teraflex shock tube between the mounting tabs on the vehicle’s right side. (It might be necessary to pry open the tabs to fit the bushing between the tabs.) Replace the bolt and slip the shaft-side bushing onto the tie-rod-side stud. Before replacing and tightening mounting bolts, rotate the tie rod through its full range of motion to ensure the stabilizer shock does not come into contact with the bottom of the track bar bracket or that the tie rod bracket does not need to be notched for clearance.

Step 3: Adjust mount (if necessary)

Name:	IMG_3090.jpg
Views:	447
Size:	68.4 KB
ID:	580418
In Smokey’s case, the larger-diameter Teraflex shock had substantial clearance issues which prevented installing the shaft mount on its stud without modification. To address the issue, loosen the four U-bolt nuts using a 13 mm box wrench. Next, rotate the stud downward until adequate clearance is achieved.

At this point, have a friend start the Jeep and slowly turn the steering from lock to lock in order to check the expansion and compression of the shock. If the shock is moving too far in either direction, move the stud mount toward or away from the shock body as necessary. I had to pull Smokey’s stud mount just under a half-inch toward the shock to keep it from over-extending.

Step 4: Verify clearance and torque bolts

Name:	IMG_3092.jpg
Views:	643
Size:	100.2 KB
ID:	580419
With all clearance issues resolved, replace and tighten the 18 mm nuts and bolt. The Jeep torque specification is 50 ft-lbs. More important than that figure, however is that the nuts compress the bushing so they come into contact with the metal sleeves. Here is where an otherwise impressive Teraflex product loses a bit of it’s shine: The sleeves provided with the shock are about an eighth of an inch shorter than the original equipment sleeves, making it all but impossible to properly compress the bushings. I read on a couple of forums where individuals removed and reused their factory sleeves. I tried, but was unable to remove mine and, instead, cranked the bolts to about 65 or 70 ft-lbs in order to eliminate unwanted looseness during steering.

I had one other frustration, which wasn’t with the Teraflex shock itself, but rather with the instructions. The enclosed booklet mandates removing the outer inch-and-a-half of the shock’s dust shield on certain model years, including 2009 Jeep JKs like Smokey. Owners are assured the dust shield will remain long enough to protect the shaft from rocks and debris on the highway, but a simple left-hand turn reveals a shiny chrome shaft. In fact, I can see no logical reason to remove this material, as there is plenty of room for movement with the full dust shield in place. If I had the install to do over again, I’d definitely skip this step.

First impressions
On the road, the benefits of the new Teraflex HD steering stabilizer are almost instantly apparent. Not only is Smokey’s previous bumpsteer completely eliminated, but the amount of road vibration transmitted to the steering wheel is dramatically reduced as well. During a test drive of approximately 20 miles over rough roads and highways, the Jeep’s steering felt much more tight and responsive. I look forward to seeing how the Teraflex shock holds up to daily highway and off-road use.

Total time to complete: About 15 minutes (30 if tie rod mounting point requires adjustment)

Total project cost: $53.99 (free shipping from Quadratec)
Old 10-19-2014, 04:44 PM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Good write up. Thanks for posting this!
Old 10-20-2014, 04:07 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've got the same one and had the exact same issues and installation.... Great write up and a great stabilizers for the $$!
Old 02-17-2017, 08:16 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for the write-up. Although a few years old, I just replaced a shot Rancho RS5000 Stabilizer with this Teraflex unit. Removal of the Rancho shock revealed not only a bad shock, but the bushing housing that connects to the tie-rod bracket was cracked straight through. When trying to install the Teraflex stabilizer, it was evident that the tie-rod bracket had been bent, so as to not allow the sleeve/bushing to go through the pin. However this got bent is likely what broke the Rancho one. Luckily, I was able to take the bracket off, straighten out using a vise and some heavy duty channel lock pliers and re-installed it.

Mine is also a 2009 and I encountered the same things as you. I also had to move the bracket slightly closer to the passenger side wheel in order to prevent the shock from over-extending. Thanks again
Old 02-17-2017, 05:04 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Good writeup as I just got one could days ago as a gift

Quick Reply: Teraflex HD steering stabilizer