Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Warn Tube Bumper Mod *first write up!

Old 01-18-2011, 12:07 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Warn Tube Bumper Mod *first write up!

So this will be my offical "first write up and

The first thing I noticed is I didnt post enough pictures ha ha!

So, when I was looking at my newly mounted Warn Tubular bumper (not rock crawler bumper) I noticed it was left somewhat bare. Better clearance and a much more stout bumper for sure, but I did not like the fact that my soon to be new winch will not have any clevis pins or hooks to attach to. So, looking at my sunfaded pile of old bumper garbage I started to think.

Here is a pic before I added anything, looks ok, but I like skid plates and needed tow hooks! there is nothing to attach to without a winch on this bumper!!

1. I took the old hook style tow hooks from the originla stock bumper, and noticed the smarties at warn had left slots for someone to do this "mod", only their bolts included are 1 1/2" long, so I replaced with 2 1/2" bolts, and bought 8 extra 7/16" washers *either i was short changed or warn isnt big on washers backing the bolts where you can't see

2. To remove the very well attached bolts in the stock hooks, I went to a welder and had hime heat them up, he got them just glowing orange and the fell out with the slightest tap. I have a cutting torch, but was hoping he had apress that would work, but since I was already there and knew the guy ( and planned on repainting the hooks) I let him torch away

3. I painted the hooks and the carriage bolts that hold up the orignial warn face plate, painted them olive drab, my accessories color. Yes i know i should have put tape over the threrads, but I call it white trash loc tite:thumbsup

4. Now with my painted hooks and carriage bolts i just removed the 4 maiun bolts from the frame*that hold on the bumper, one side at a time, inserted the stock hooks, and replaced the orignial 1 1/2 bolts with the 2 1/2 bolts and could use all orginal washers *except the extra 8 washers i bought to put as backing washers.

Now for the looks. SORRY NO PICS of the painting or cutting, Just Finished Product Photos I got excited!

I then took my old fake plastic skid plate that came originally. Well I held it up and noticed it would look better, and maybe prevent a stick or branch someday. WEll I simple cut the out side corners, along the first crase, this made it look more stream line and didnt have an unnessasry edge to it. If you have thius bumper and hold it up to it you will see what needs to be cut and where, super simple. In the pics you can see the large un needed trab sticking out on both sides

Here is a before i cut

And an AFTER I cut

I then truck lined the top piece that goes behing the bumper directly below the grill, and the Dupli black truck liner matches the warn powder coating exactly!!!:clap

Well there it was, what I learned, is more pics, more pics, more pics
Hope this helpos somebody with a warn tubular and thinks it looks a little bare!!

Last edited by jeep362003; 01-18-2011 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-18-2011, 12:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice mod! I like the looks of that!

Tom
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 PM
JK Enthusiast

Nice mod...looks good
Old 06-25-2019, 07:53 PM
JK Newbie

Default 8 years later - i found this and did it...

Thanks so much for this post. My 2007 has this bumper on it and when I repainted it last week, I added these stock tow hooks. Great idea!

Take care, Zerns

Old 08-26-2019, 11:47 AM
Super Moderator

Received 467 Likes on 419 Posts

Like the way the hooks are done but how do you keep the tow rope on them?

Quick Reply: Warn Tube Bumper Mod *first write up!