Notices
JK Write-Ups Bulletin board forum regarding useful installation write-ups, budget fixes and homemade solutions for the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X).

Winch mount W/factory bumper

Old 05-24-2010, 08:08 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some of my pics are already posted, the op has numerous good ones as well.
Old 06-28-2010, 08:27 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geko45
Thought I'd post one more pic now that I've got the factory plastic bumper trimmed to fit.

this ^^^^^ is excellent.

seems strange that an aftermarket company like RR or schrock, lod, or whomever hasn't fabbed up a plate which utilizes the factory bumper like this (where it "hides" in the bumper)

The rouch country factory bumper winch plate doesn't look finished and looks out of place plus sits too high dhielding the radiator from fresh air
Old 06-28-2010, 11:17 PM
JK Enthusiast

Here's a few shots of how mine turned out. I think it looks great the chopped bumper. Also, I was able to install the Solenoid box on the frame rail behind the bumper on the drivers side, it's easily accessable there and I like how hidden from plain sight it is. Let me know if you need more pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	JKwinch..jpg
Views:	1600
Size:	91.9 KB
ID:	74745Click image for larger version

Name:	JKwinch2..jpg
Views:	1407
Size:	96.4 KB
ID:	74746Click image for larger version

Name:	JKwinch3..jpg
Views:	1354
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	74747
Old 09-17-2010, 12:32 PM
JK Super Freak

Looks great on all accounts - couple questions.

1) Appears to work with fog lights but when I pulled mine apart to look, looks pretty tight? I guess I am going to try to do same thing with aftermarket bumper (orfab stubby), so maybe the lights are slightly different location.

2) Biggest question is does anyone have this done with a 10k winch? Are they any bigger than the 8k or 8.5k winches? I am guessing a little bigger? Is there clearance for a 10k?

If so, I am going for this... I think it might even be easier wiht my ORFab b/c I can mount the fairlead directly to the front of my Orfab and not need to 'space it out' so it mounds solid.

Thoughts?!
Old 09-18-2010, 02:46 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default I Like!

Tell us more about the license plate piece please.

Originally Posted by roddogg
took the best out there and put on my twist . I wanted a stock looking front end which included the required front license plate Attachment 4015 (the area that look like a dent on the bottom of the grill is just the flash) I wanted easy access to the winch but didn't want to block the rad. with the soleniod to avoid a over heating issue Attachment 4016. I moved the soleniod beside the battery Attachment 4017 I ran new cables from the solenoid to the battery and winch. Auto part stores carry a large selection of battery cables with the right ends to hook up the battery to the soleniod and the soleniod to the winch. I used a trailer 4 wire wiring harness (removed 1 wire as its not needed) from the soleniod to the controlled hook up. I placed the trailer wire 4 plug hook up connection behind the grill to make the removal of the grill easier and place the controlled connection through the grill inserts to finish it off.

Hope this gives others ideas on making mods your own.

Thanks to all for the direction and I hope this helps someone else with thier project.
Old 10-05-2010, 07:13 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by redrockin7
2) Biggest question is does anyone have this done with a 10k winch? Are they any bigger than the 8k or 8.5k winches? I am guessing a little bigger? Is there clearance for a 10k?
Mine pictured above is a 10,000# winch. It fits just fine.
Old 10-06-2010, 09:35 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Rtwill78
Here's a few shots of how mine turned out. I think it looks great the chopped bumper. Also, I was able to install the Solenoid box on the frame rail behind the bumper on the drivers side, it's easily accessable there and I like how hidden from plain sight it is. Let me know if you need more pictures.

Attachment 74745Attachment 74746Attachment 74747
That looks fantastic!! Nice work.

I would love to see some more pics of how you have it installed and if you have any pics of how you did it.

Thanks
Old 10-06-2010, 09:47 PM
JK Freak

What a great looking bumper winch combo
Old 10-07-2010, 04:16 AM
JK Newbie

Using a Warn M8000 winch on a 2009 unlimited rubi, will there be space for something like the aries grille brushguard? would the whole thing come together so that the grille could be fitted on, or would the winch get in the way?

http://bit.ly/5Vrn43
Old 01-11-2011, 05:22 AM
JK Newbie

Default Olympic Plate

Any pics with a plate made to actually sink into the space and mount the winch straight up rather than upside down? All in all, everyone has done a fantastic job on their installs. Props to all!!!

Quick Reply: Winch mount W/factory bumper