JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion

JK-Forum.com - The top destination for Jeep JK and JL Wrangler news, rumors, and discussion (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/)
-   Last Frontier (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/last-frontier-57/)
-   -   Alaska BS thread (https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/last-frontier-57/alaska-bs-thread-97798/)

falconfixer 08-14-2009 10:52 AM

Alaska BS thread

This right here is a thread dedicated for BSing :D

There's a coupla regulars and a few lurkers hiding out in Anchorage, Eagle River, Healy, Fairbanks and some out of towners that dip in here. So share stories. Where's your favorite place to wheel? Hunting and fishing stories are welcome. Got a gripe you need to vent about? Spot another JK on the road and curious if they're here? Pretty much anything can go here but remember that kids can access this so PG-13. :cheers:

AK4Dave 08-14-2009 05:54 PM

Sounds good......

A guy I work with killed a small bull with an arrow Tuesday. So I had fresh moose liver and onions with bacon last night. Yummy....!!!

08{GA}RUBICON 08-14-2009 06:00 PM

Originally Posted by AK4Dave (Post 1287521)
Sounds good......

A guy I work with killed a small bull with an arrow Tuesday. So I had fresh moose liver and onions with bacon last night. Yummy....!!!

moose liver? :puke: how does moose compare to other game animals?

falconfixer 08-14-2009 06:23 PM

Originally Posted by AK4Dave (Post 1287521)
Sounds good......

And why wasnt a recipe posted in the grilling section??? I wasn't ever a fan of liver and onions but tastes have changed over the years. Hell, I eat asparagous now so I might have to try it again one of these days.

As a side note. Smoked up about 6 salmon flanks over the weekend and finally got done snacking on them. Thinking about possibly, maybe, hopefully heading down to Clam Gulch area next month to do some clamming. I'd have to look at the tide book again but I want to say 3rd weekend is supposed to be really good.

AK4Dave 08-15-2009 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by 08{GA}RUBICON (Post 1287532)
moose liver? :puke: how does moose compare to other game animals?

Well, I agree.........liver, ANY kind of liver is pretty much an acquired taste. But I was raised on wild game so love most of it. And I don't like beef liver, nor does my wife, but she'll eat moose liver. Cooked with bacon and tons of onions can't hurt either........lol. And it makes a huge difference weather or not it's fresh, not frozen. In my opinion, liver does not freeze well.
Moose meat as a whole is the leanest game meat you can eat. Many folks that start eating moose meat, at first say....."it's alright". But after eating say, a whole moose, and then go back to beef, many say the beef doesn't compare and tastes funny. In fact the guy that killed the little bull told me that was the way he felt as well. I've heard that quite a bit over the years. I like elk quite a bit too. It's second on the list as far as lowest fat content.

AK4Dave 08-15-2009 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by falconfixer (Post 1287570)
And why wasnt a recipe posted in the grilling section??? I wasn't ever a fan of liver and onions but tastes have changed over the years. Hell, I eat asparagous now so I might have to try it again one of these days.

As a side note. Smoked up about 6 salmon flanks over the weekend and finally got done snacking on them. Thinking about possibly, maybe, hopefully heading down to Clam Gulch area next month to do some clamming. I'd have to look at the tide book again but I want to say 3rd weekend is supposed to be really good.

Not much of a recipe really......like I said just fried with bacon and onions.

Hey, if you want nice clams I wouldn't bother with Clam Gulch unless you like small clams. If you want REAL NICE BIG clams go to Ninilchik. Get on the beach and head south a few miles from Deep Creek. I've dug my share of clams at Clam Gulch, but for years now, down south is the only place I go.

falconfixer 08-15-2009 10:38 AM

Ninilchik is the place I was thinking of last night but couldn't form a rational thought. I was down there in that area a few weeks back camping at a place called Heavenly Charters (I think or something along those lines) and it's a pretty nice place on the bluff and a stones throw from Nilnilchik. Still gotta see what's going to fall into place on my end the next couple of weeks... trying to find a place to live :mad:

falconfixer 08-15-2009 12:27 PM

If anyone is interested where the best sushi in Anchorage is, it's Samuri Sushi on Muldoon :thumbsup: Quality is comparable to what I had in Japan, good prices and excellent service. Me and Ang went there last night for our annivesary and the mama-san (can we still say that?) overheard us talking about it being our 5th year and she came out with a bowl of fried ice-cream with a candle in it for no charge. Hey it's the little things in this day and age.

tonkmaster 08-15-2009 02:45 PM

Congrats on the anniversary. As for sushi....:sad2: I wont eat it.

falconfixer 08-17-2009 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by tonkmaster (Post 1288361)
Congrats on the anniversary. As for sushi....:sad2: I wont eat it.

The man of so few words :what?:

I did make this a PG-13 thread but eating sushi is like, well, use your imagination :wink: Some of it is really good and some of it I wouldn't poke with a stick.

Aside from that, I'm gotta get with you and see if you're free to blow your back out the end of the month. Got some furniture to move that isn't all that heavy but it's gonna be a bear to get out of this place's design. johhny, you game too? Beer and pizza is on the menu :thumbsup:

wranglerX09 08-19-2009 01:23 AM

BSing

well, i just traded in my tj like 3 months ago at lithia, and took it to the infamous "creek" and lost my engine allready. luckily my insurence paid for it but I have gotten a snorkel since then. Any suggestions on the best off road shop here?

falconfixer 08-19-2009 09:02 AM

Originally Posted by wranglerX09 (Post 1294192)
well, i just traded in my tj like 3 months ago at lithia, and took it to the infamous "creek" and lost my engine allready. luckily my insurence paid for it but I have gotten a snorkel since then. Any suggestions on the best off road shop here?

damn you hydrolocked? I'll tell you what tho, I'll never head back out to Jim Creek again. That silt is murder on a vehicle. One outing and I had to replace my idler pully and my neighbor took his truck out there and the silt destroyed his power steering pump and wheel bearings. What snorkel did you put on? Can't really comment on any of the off-road shops here; I do all my work in my garage and order stuff from the lower 48.

tonkmaster 08-19-2009 09:50 AM

Offroad shops is Anchorage? Show me one that is worth a shit and I will give them my biznezz. Till then I suggest spending your hard earned money on shipping costs.

wranglerX09 08-19-2009 02:18 PM

Thanks for the advice. I want to start adding other parts to my jeep, maybe 35 with a BB tara flex but I live in an apartment. I feel like I am at the mercy of the offroad shops here.:naw:

falconfixer 08-19-2009 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by wranglerX09 (Post 1295153)
Thanks for the advice. I want to start adding other parts to my jeep, maybe 35 with a BB tara flex but I live in an apartment. I feel like I am at the mercy of the offroad shops here.:naw:

No way dude. Unless it involves welding, we'll install that stuff at my place. If it involves cutting into a brand new hood, then tonkmaster will be more then happy to make the cut!:rotflmao1: Other then that, I would suggest not wasting your time and traveling to the local 4x4 shops and just call them for quotes on the items you are looking for and then hit one of the sponsors up here. David at Northridge is pretty good with prices and shit gets here quick.

tonkmaster 08-19-2009 08:11 PM

wranglerx09, are the guy I bought that reciever rack off of? You have a black 2dr x?

And If you want to work on your rig, falcon and I would be more than happy to lend a hand. Save yourself a few bucks in labor and all you have to pay for is the beer....:synister:

johnnyrigger 08-20-2009 02:39 PM

Ill also be happy to help! Just remember to bring the double sided sticky tape!! :rotflmao1:

I just ordered my windshield lights and mounting bracket!! :thumbsup:

when they show up im going to need some help with the electrical half of the install and ill also need some hand tools for the other half of the install. Oh ill also bring the beer!

tonkmaster 08-20-2009 08:58 PM

I smell an install party brewing. Lights and a Snorkel......I may need to buy more shit....

falconfixer 08-20-2009 09:03 PM

Might be at someone elses place:dontknow2: I'm working day to day with this new house buying crap. Whoever said buying a house is fun needs to be shot. However, if all goes well I might be able to swing a M&G BBQ at the new place before the snow falls....snow doesn't come here till December right?

tonkmaster 08-20-2009 09:05 PM

December my ass :wink: This time next month we might see snow:eek2:

falconfixer 08-20-2009 09:08 PM

well hell, install and snow removal party. What you gonna buy for next month?

tonkmaster 08-20-2009 09:21 PM

Don't know, what do you think I need?

mert34 08-20-2009 09:50 PM

haha, install and snow removal, what a combo

johnnyrigger 08-20-2009 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by tonkmaster (Post 1297391)
Don't know, what do you think I need?

:rotflmao2::rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

"A Snow Plow kit!!! ":rotflmao2::rotflmao2::rotflmao2:

AK4Dave 08-21-2009 05:39 PM

Originally Posted by tonkmaster (Post 1297373)
December my ass :wink: This time next month we might see snow:eek2:

Ha......it was 30 degrees at my house this morn, so if it was the right conditions it actually could have snowed here today. Now isn't that a wonderful thought...???!!!:eek2:

Hey Joe.....don't know what you'll look at first so I'll post here and send you a PM. Are you coming down to dig clams tomorrow? Me and the kids are. Let me know and I'll take you to my little hot spot.

AK4Dave 08-23-2009 10:35 AM

Sorry you couldn't make it.....someday. The kids and I did "ok" on the clams. Pigged out last night...:thumbsup:

http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/P1130759.JPG

falconfixer 08-23-2009 10:47 AM

Got your PM and hoping to make one more trip down there :crazyeyes: Those are some nice-sized clams and it's always a good time to get out with the family. Do you have your own tools or did you rent them?

wranglerX09 08-23-2009 11:18 AM

Tonkmaster, Yes that was me, its a small world after all I did s:Dell you that rack! Thanks for the offers and the freindly advice! Sounds like a party to me. I leave next month for overseas (TCN Duty) for four months. I hope to get it done by then or if not the extra money I make over there could add some extra tire size to the jeep. I hope yall like keystone... hahahahaha nice clams by the way, those are huge

AK4Dave 08-23-2009 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by falconfixer (Post 1300122)
Got your PM and hoping to make one more trip down there :crazyeyes: Those are some nice-sized clams and it's always a good time to get out with the family. Do you have your own tools or did you rent them?

No, I've got my own "tools"....lol......Just a couple clam shovels (one with a broken handle), a spade, and two five gallon buckets. You gotta remember, I've been diggin' clams up here for 26 years.

Oh, and seeing this is the BS thread get this....

As we got closer to Deep Creek, we came around the corner at the Ninilchik River and the traffic was stopped dead.....:eek2: Then I remember the Ninilchik Fair was going on. I knew I could get down on the beach there, but I go south, PAST where Deep Creek drains into the inlet to our clam digging spot, which meant I'd have to get across Deep Creek. I've seen rigs way down low on the beach at low tide, but I'm not a fan of doing that. You just never know if you might hit a sink hole somewhere and, well....when the tide changes during a major low and high, it comes in like a friggin' freight train. I've known a few folks to get stuck and loose their rigs to the tide.

Anyway, I got down on the beach and headed south. When I got to Deep Creek, I saw another guy in an old beater truck way down on the beach getting coal. I figured well, if I get stuck at least I've got a strap, he's right there to help, and the tide won't change for almost an hour. Anyway, Deep Creek, spreads out into all kinds of little fingers as it enters the inlet when there is a minus tide, so they all get pretty shallow, but are running pretty fast. Always aware of my CAI, I looked for the shallowest, and most gravel, spot and decided to go for it. I went across a couple fingers no problem, the water not even halfway up the wheels. Then I come to the last finger and the largest. I can see it's pretty shallow, but also see that it does get a little deeper, it was only about 6 feet across, but couldn't tell just how deep it was on the far side. I figured it couldn't be over a foot and a half. I didn't want to go too slow in case there was some mud hiding under there somewhere, so I hit it just a little bit faster. Water did splash up over the hood a little and I waited for the engine to sputter. It didn't, and was no problem whatsoever. RELIEF...!!!:ya: I really wouldn't have minded the water too bad, it was just being way down low on the beach during a minus tide that was making me a bit nervous.

Even though Deep Creek is freshwater, when it is running down on the beach it's mixing with all that salt. So when we came home from diggin' I pulled down on the Kasilof River boat ramp as deep as I dared to rinse the front, and then back undercarriage. Then when I got home I just rinsed off the engine compartment with the garden hose. It's always a real good idea to get as much freshwater onto your rig after going down on the beach.

At least now I know I can hit some water pretty good with my CAI and not have to worry about it..........."much"....lol

falconfixer 08-23-2009 02:06 PM

:D I was thinking of renting some clam shovels from a place near Ninilchik when I come down but it'll probably cost the same to buy some, huh? I will definitely have a better idea by the end of this week how my September can play. I want to say the 21st of Sept sounds about right last time I checked the tide book for a really low tide and me and Ang wanted to come down for that weekend. Last time we were down there we camped at a place right off the highway called, Heavenly Charters (almost positive that's the place) Nothing fancy but it'd be a great spot if we could all get together. They do take reservations for the camping which is good and showers are on site too. There are some spots for RVs if you got one Dave.

And I know right where you dropped the Jeep into the Kasilof. I fished there a few weeks back for reds but the run was pretty much over. Pulled one out for dinner and watched a couple of guys on the other bank pull a bunch out (wasn't too happy but it was a relaxing time none the less).

johnnyrigger 08-26-2009 08:53 AM

hay do you guys know of any 4x4 shops than sell Lightforce stuff?

tonkmaster 08-26-2009 08:55 AM

Try Custom Truck on Old Seward. They are the only decenly priced biznezz i have seen....

AK4Dave 08-26-2009 06:20 PM

I bought mine at "Car Quest." Don't know how their prices compare as I didn't check around.

johnnyrigger 08-27-2009 01:26 AM

Dave,
Can you post a pic. of the switch that comes with the Lightforce harness?

thanks!!

FYI my shipment should be hear Saturday!! Got my mounts today!!

Johnny

johnnyrigger 08-27-2009 01:10 PM

Ok I just got my Lights!! now.... the switch came with a NON LED switch, can i buy a LED one and just swap it out? OK dumb question.... I know i can swap it out an have the switch work, but how do i get the LED to light to turn on when i flip the switch?
FYI THE 170's are BIG and I MEAN BIG!!!

AK4Dave 08-28-2009 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by johnnyrigger (Post 1305239)
Dave,
Can you post a pic. of the switch that comes with the Lightforce harness?

thanks!!

FYI my shipment should be hear Saturday!! Got my mounts today!!

Johnny

My lights don't come with a harness, so I didn't buy one. I decided to get the relay and switch myself.

tonkmaster 08-28-2009 09:15 PM

the switch needs to be connected to a power source for the light to work. Your switch should have 3 prongs on the back? Did it come with a harness?

johnnyrigger 08-29-2009 07:17 AM

Lights are installed!!

OK my lights are installed!!

My wife and son what to go hiking... But I dont know were to go.... I was told Flat Rock was a nice EZ trail. Is that true? and How do I get there? and Can I carry my .45 when we go? thanks

Johnny

AK4Dave 08-31-2009 06:49 AM

Originally Posted by johnnyrigger (Post 1306018)
Ok I just got my Lights!! now.... the switch came with a NON LED switch, can i buy a LED one and just swap it out? OK dumb question.... I know i can swap it out an have the switch work, but how do i get the LED to light to turn on when i flip the switch?
FYI THE 170's are BIG and I MEAN BIG!!!

You think those 170s are big....check out these babies!!!......

http://my.project-jk.com/data/500/medium/P1130778.JPG

johnnyrigger 09-01-2009 12:54 AM

WOW!! that is the 240's? !!! I am trying to get the wife to let me get my bumper, AND then i can get my 240 HID!! can we say 1,500,000 Candle power!!! :brows::brows: