Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

General Sam's - Dec 28-29

Old 12-19-2011, 09:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default General Sam's - Dec 28-29

I've never been to General Sam's and am itching to get offroad. I'm heading back to Austin from San Augustine and decided to check it out. Anyone else able to jump in for the day with me? Nothing too hardcore so I can be sure to make it home. Anyone have any tips for a newbie at this place? I'd really like to finally meet some of y'all and hope you have a few hours or more.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

All I know is that it's near Huntsville. Sounds like an opportunity.

Subscribed to get in on the fun.
Old 12-19-2011, 10:28 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TXCheney
All I know is that it's near Huntsville. Sounds like an opportunity.

Subscribed to get in on the fun.
You going to join me? I think early morning through most of the day on the 29th seems most reasonable for me. I am thinking of coming in end of day 28th and maybe camping (ie. sleeping bag in back of the Jeep). Let's do this!

Yes, in Huntsville just north of town. Looks very easy to get to from I45.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:18 PM
JK Enthusiast

I should be able to come up morning of the 29th.
Old 12-19-2011, 11:29 PM
JK Junkie

been there, its nice but the owners like to keep that place muddy and i mean super muddy. I would definitely join you but it all depends on when you plan on going . here is a link to a run i organized to general sams last year

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...-General-Sam-s

Last edited by Sapper12b; 12-19-2011 at 11:32 PM.
Old 12-20-2011, 12:08 AM
JK Newbie

I'll try to get up there. I went last week and it was adequately muddy. We are getting rain, so it will be really muddy by then. Take exit 123 on I-45 and go 1 mile west to hwy 75. Go north on hwy 75 for about 5 miles to Bishop Rd. Go left about 1 mile on Bishop Rd. to entrance. They have over 60 miles of trails and most of the mud bogs have "go-arounds" for those not 3' off the ground. Some of the mud holes are dug out by the superlifted guys in their 1985 Buicks (and other strange rigs) with 54" tires, so you need to careful about what you drop into. The place is alot of fun and has good management.
Old 12-20-2011, 04:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Sapper and Pelikan you're not exactly selling this place. I don't mind some mud but is this place just a big mud bog?

Sounds a little like Deliverance with 4WD.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:18 AM
JK Junkie

50% mud, the rest has some good trails
Old 12-21-2011, 09:31 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by TXCheney
Sapper and Pelikan you're not exactly selling this place. I don't mind some mud but is this place just a big mud bog?

Sounds a little like Deliverance with 4WD.

It's actually not that bad, considering that most of the deep holes have "go-arounds" where Jeeps can get past without sinking to the rooftop. If it looks like a swimming pool, I check it with a long stick before bailing off into it. You could actually spend the entire day there without getting into any significant mud. You just may have to turn around every once in awhile. Also, there is no lack of winch points. Bring your tree protector.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:15 PM
JK Newbie

I went to General Sams today. It was great. Not as muddy as I had anticipated. Most of the big holes had go around lanes and there were only a couple of really deep holes. If you stay on the wide roads, you won't have much trouble. I have a tendency to (accidentally) get off on the narrow ATV trails and it scratches the hell out of your Jeep. There were only a few other folks there and they were all ATVs. Jeep got some serious mud on it and took alot of quarters to get the mud off. Can't wait to go back.

Quick Reply: General Sam's - Dec 28-29