Notices
Lone Star State If you live in Texas and would like to meet some of the great JK-Forum members near to you and/or discuss upcoming trail events, this is the forum for you.

Side Marker Fender Lights in Texas?!? - Fender Chop getting started soon

Old 12-28-2010, 08:00 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JdTms11
i went to lowes and in the hardware section where all the trailer stuff is they had some LED amber lights that i used. i fastened them to the ribs of the fender sub structure and wired them into the front markers so they blink with the blinkers on. ill get some good pics tomorrow to dark out right now.
do u have a pic of this
Old 12-28-2010, 08:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Side Markers

Side Markers are required in all 50 states . Now that being said some states don't enforce this to the teeth. But I will say if you are in a wreck and they find out your screwed. Because that could be a contributing factor to a accident investigation.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:53 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK, I think I found my solution.....Couldn't find anything local and while searching at work, I found this and ordered 2 of them.

h t t p ://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Lights/Optronics/MCL11AKB.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	Mini LED Side Marker Light MCL11AKB_1000.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	14.1 KB
ID:	113757

Should work out fine, after I drill a simple hole just under the fender after it is trimmed......It has a grommet, so it should just slip in the drilled hole.

Any thoughts?
Old 01-03-2011, 05:54 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default Side Marker Light solution!!

After running into another Board Member at the local Lowes, I copied his idea of simply re-using the factory light bracket and mounting it just under the fender with one of the liner holes.....

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0050.jpg
Views:	409
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	114591

Works well, is sealed and already wired in, and all I needed was a 1/4" bolt and nut.

Too Easy.....
Old 02-11-2011, 06:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

I’m about to replace my OEM flares with a narrow aftermarket set so I did a search to get some ideas on the matter. I came across this thread and I feel obligated to offer a correction and clarification. The code cited by Robar in Tex. Transp. Code Ann. §547.302(2)(c) "At least one lighted lamp shall be displayed on each side of the front of a motor vehicle" is actually in reference to headlights not side marker lamps.

In Texas, the determination on whether or not you need amber side markers and reflectors on the front left and right side of the vehicle is based on overall width. If a truck has 80” or more in width, then the vehicle is required to have amber side markers and reflectors (usually combined into one as with the factory marker). If it has less than 80” in overall width, then no side marker or amber reflector is required on the vehicle.

With my wheel and tire combo, I’m at 83” so unfortunately, I will have to make a provision to re-mount my factory reflector or find another solution.

A cursory glance of Texas statutes can often provide confusing or misleading information so it’s best to visit the Texas DPS website to verify questions of this nature. They have culled together all the applicable regulations pertaining to various vehicle classes and posted them on their website. There you can find out specifically what is required, under Texas law, for your particular application. You can inquiry as to a specific part (side markers, headlights, etc.) or specific class (car, truck, bus, etc).

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/vi/insp.../item_insp.asp

Keep in mind this pertains to vehicles that are registered and inspected in Texas and may not apply to other states.
Old 02-11-2011, 06:15 PM
JK Super Freak

thanks for the update. i havent been running side markers for like 7 months. no isues. cbass, wish i would have seen this post. i would have helped you out no doubt.

Quick Reply: Side Marker Fender Lights in Texas?!? - Fender Chop getting started soon