Notices
Member Video Creations Please post your favorite JK related video link here. Members only please.

Wrangler Engine Explode after heavy offroading in snow

Old 02-26-2018, 10:57 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wrangler Engine Explode after heavy offroading in snow

My friends and I took our 3 JK on a snow offroading and red Wrangler got the motor exploded as you can see in the end of the video.

Black smoke came out and it just died. Lucky enough we came on a public road when it happen but Jeep is dead.

Does anyone have any clue what might happen here,because several mechanics took the Jeep in their shop but could not solve the issue now for a weeks. Any suggestions would be helpful
Old 02-27-2018, 07:36 AM
JK Newbie

The black smoke is from a rich condition, something cause it to stop burning fuel or dump too much fuel.
Old 02-27-2018, 07:55 AM
JK Newbie

Default hm

do you know what that might be?
Old 02-28-2018, 01:42 AM
Former Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My Assessment, would be that it seems whom ever was driving the jeep exceeded the revlimiter and could have thrown a rod or spun a barring. Assuming the jeep is now incapacitated or immobile.

pdurio is referring to what type of fuel was used in the vehicle. "To rich" could mean one used the incorrect fuel/octane which here in the states is "regular" or 87oct etc.
Old 03-01-2018, 08:04 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TrailBadger
pdurio is referring to what type of fuel was used in the vehicle. "To rich" could mean one used the incorrect fuel/octane which here in the states is "regular" or 87oct etc.
I've never heard of "running rich" having anything to do with the type of fuel used. It has to do with the amount (volume) of fuel. That's what pdurio was conveying.

Originally Posted by Automedics
If there is too much fuel and not enough air, the engine is said to be “running rich”, or “has a rich mixture”. It will have a gassy or rotten egg smell from the exhaust, give off a burning effect to the eyes and will make black smoke. If there is too much air and not enough fuel, the engine is said to be “running lean.” or “has a lean mixture”.
Originally Posted by Exxon
Octane rating is a measure of a fuel's ability to resist ‘knock’. The octane requirement of an engine varies with compression ratio, geometrical and mechanical considerations and operating conditions. The higher the octane number the greater the fuel’s resistance to knocking or pinging during combustion.
Old 03-01-2018, 10:04 PM
JK Newbie

We have some updates

Car ran out of oil...and oil was not changed for 3 years...hm hm

Also water pump,belt and everything related to it was in total disaster in terms of condition so guy ordered new parts and we will see if that will make any difference and will the car start finally. I will keep you informed
Old 03-02-2018, 05:25 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 42 Likes on 36 Posts

If you ran it on no oil the water pump would be the least of my worries.
Old 03-02-2018, 06:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by wranglercalls911
Car ran out of oil...and oil was not changed for 3 years...hm hm
WTF! Who doesn't change the their oil for 3 years! There can't be ANY plausible explanation for that. Only thing I can think of is someone buying it used, and not knowing, but even then....first thing new owner should do is change that crap.
Old 03-02-2018, 07:30 AM
JK Newbie

I agree with you 100%
Old 03-05-2018, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Guys, here is fixed...it looks like belts and water pump were only damaged, and car is doing great

you can check it here

Quick Reply: Wrangler Engine Explode after heavy offroading in snow