Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

It’s like a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets

Old 04-30-2019, 10:03 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default It’s like a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets

The previous owner of my jk sprayed the undercarriage, including the steering stabilizer and shocks.

My plan (as stated in other threads) is a 3” BDS with Bilstein 5100 shocks

I have the 5100 steering stabilizer, I bought before I just happened to start scraping the old one and learned it was a Rancho rs7000.

I know now people rave about Rancho shocks now. But the 5100 was rated the best for stabilizer purposes. Since I already ordered it, I will swap them out. At least after I can get brake free on the dang bolt. I can’t get it to break loose.

Check the pics out and tell me your thoughts.

Maybe I can get a little cash for the shocks and stabilizer to go toward the new lift 🤷*♂️

Old 04-30-2019, 10:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

And,,, the shocks are Rough Country Performance 2.2 now I am trying to figure out if they installed anything else aftermarket
And
Old 05-01-2019, 02:36 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Doing that undercarriage spray over the exposed side of the shocks is a typical used car dealer tactic to make everything look nice. You're spending $1300 on a 3" BDS kit which is probably going to end up riding the same as the Rough Country lift that is already on there. I know it's a "good deal" and such but that same $1300 goes pretty far into getting a Metalcloak kit with components that make a complete kit.

As far as the Bilstein stabilizer vs (insert any other stabilizer here), you're wasting cash. The Bilstein is known for giving a push to the steering because it's gas charged. Save the money and put a factory stabilizer on if you need it. I don't run one at all, never have since I switched to a heavy duty tie rod.

You mentioned selling off the old parts to recoup cash. Your budget boost is worth (up to) $40 per axle. Used shocks don't draw a ton of money because it's tough to say what condition they're in, particularly since you are the (at least) second owner on it.

We all get excited about buying xyz for our new toys, but do some serious reading before buying. Read the critical reviews instead of just the sunshine and flowers.
The following users liked this post:
mewaschuk (05-02-2019)
Old 05-01-2019, 05:53 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,818 Likes on 1,588 Posts

Y, unfortunately, unless they are new factory takeoffs, or practically new and very expensive/rebuild-able shocks, nobody wants used shocks. Also agree on the Bilstein SS. Gas charged units are going to give you a constant push to the side. For that application you want something that has relatively equal resistance collapsing and extending, and often the cheapest thing is just fine (factory, or TF VSS9550 is ok too for $55).
Old 05-01-2019, 07:19 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Doing that undercarriage spray over the exposed side of the shocks is a typical used car dealer tactic to make everything look nice. You're spending $1300 on a 3" BDS kit which is probably going to end up riding the same as the Rough Country lift that is already on there. I know it's a "good deal" and such but that same $1300 goes pretty far into getting a Metalcloak kit with components that make a complete kit.

As far as the Bilstein stabilizer vs (insert any other stabilizer here), you're wasting cash. The Bilstein is known for giving a push to the steering because it's gas charged. Save the money and put a factory stabilizer on if you need it. I don't run one at all, never have since I switched to a heavy duty tie rod.

You mentioned selling off the old parts to recoup cash. Your budget boost is worth (up to) $40 per axle. Used shocks don't draw a ton of money because it's tough to say what condition they're in, particularly since you are the (at least) second owner on it.

We all get excited about buying xyz for our new toys, but do some serious reading before buying. Read the critical reviews instead of just the sunshine and flowers.
Im confused now.

The shocks are rough country and there is a small piece of rubber spacer zip tied into one of the front shocks.

Thats not a budget boost. Obviously the other one fell out. And that side is one inch lower. Can’t really tell, unless you measure (which I did)

I have 33x12.50s on it now and it looks decent. But I don’t think there’s any other kind of lift on it. That’s why I am looking at the bds
Old 05-01-2019, 07:24 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Karl is talking about this right here -

Old 05-01-2019, 07:32 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Yep, that's the budget boost. If you're sitting low it's because your factory coils aren't happy with the weight. Budget boosts are nice for a quick lift but the factory coils don't like it. So yes, you need to replace coils. You'll see the same thing with the BDS coils over a short period of time.

Your rubber zip tied onto the coil is a poor solution to keeping the brake and ABS lines out of the coils. Teraflex makes a kit to keep them out of the way but even it is unnecessary.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:49 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by resharp001
Karl is talking about this right here -

oh geez!

I am getting old and blind.

Guess it makes sense now.

I guess I can just put some 35s on and call if good then 😬

unless I can get another inch somehow.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:59 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Here's your stock measurements -

If you have enough lift to accommodate the tires you want, I'd leave it at that. Performance wise it's fine for pavement and fire trails. If it were me, I'd rather put on some decent adjustable shocks like the rancho xl9000, make sure caster is right, and call it a day. The Bilsteins are good shocks, just stiff. I'd guess that spacer puck is 2.5", which is plenty to run a 35 with proper BS wheel.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by karls10jk
Yep, that's the budget boost. If you're sitting low it's because your factory coils aren't happy with the weight. Budget boosts are nice for a quick lift but the factory coils don't like it. So yes, you need to replace coils. You'll see the same thing with the BDS coils over a short period of time.

Your rubber zip tied onto the coil is a poor solution to keeping the brake and ABS lines out of the coils. Teraflex makes a kit to keep them out of the way but even it is unnecessary.
sorry Karl,

i would like another inch for the 35s though.

Thanks for the help guys

Quick Reply: It’s like a bunch of scratch off lottery tickets