Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

07 parts vs 06 parts

Old 06-28-2007, 11:06 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 07 parts vs 06 parts

Has anyone successfully swapped over parts from earlier wranglers to their new 07 jk's. I know that online everything is specifically priced or noted to work on the 07's and not the 06's, but things didn't change that much. Which stuff does cross over. Specifically bumpers, lifts, etc.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:20 AM
JK Enthusiast

I don't know if you notice this or not but the 07 is a TOTAL redesign.

I don't think there would be any parts that would swap over. Well maybe a universal cup holder...
Old 06-28-2007, 11:23 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Yeah, what TJ said...

maybe the paint codes? or possibly a lug nut? Everything is different. Taller, wider, longer. etc.
Old 06-28-2007, 11:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by HappyCurmudgeon
Yeah, what TJ said...

maybe the paint codes? or possibly a lug nut? Everything is different. Taller, wider, longer. etc.
I would bet the lugs don't even match. You might be right on some of the paint codes. I mean red is the best color so why change it...
Old 06-28-2007, 12:04 PM
JK Enthusiast

OK, I know the JK is a complete redesign, but ponder this.

The JK frame is 2” wider than the TJ and the TJ bumper appear to bolt on from the top…..why couldn’t you drill eight holes in the front of a TJ bumper then attach it to a JK using the two factory JK hook assemblies? There are several inexpensive TJ bumpers that might fit this concept. Just food for thought. It would be the same concept that other forum members have done using angled steel plate fab their own bumpers.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:09 PM
JK Enthusiast

Things didnt change much....thats a good one

My brother has a TJ Rubi and we've compaired themside by side... about the ONLY thing that is the same, is the hood latches, OH and maybe the lug nuts
Old 06-28-2007, 04:57 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by rfrogman
OK, I know the JK is a complete redesign, but ponder this.

The JK frame is 2” wider than the TJ and the TJ bumper appear to bolt on from the top…..why couldn’t you drill eight holes in the front of a TJ bumper then attach it to a JK using the two factory JK hook assemblies? There are several inexpensive TJ bumpers that might fit this concept. Just food for thought. It would be the same concept that other forum members have done using angled steel plate fab their own bumpers.
I was thinking the same thing. I really like the TJ/YJ Smittybilt SRC bumper and believe with a little fab work I could get it modified to fit the JK in the fashion you describe. Although, I would also need to mod it to continue to use the stock fog lights. I was thinking about fabricating a 1/4" steel plate that would bot to either side of the frame at the existing bumper bolt locations and put in cut outs for the factory fog lights. Simply weld the SRc bumper to this and I think it would be great looking. I would also have to fab a winch bracket, but that doesn't seem too hard. The only thng holding me back is I don't have the dimensions on SRC bumper and being an engineer, I want to be able to design it in my head and make sure it will work before I begin. If I ever get around to this, I will post a write up.
Old 06-29-2007, 06:29 AM
JK Enthusiast

I would like to see it when your done. You might be able to use the inner stock bumber. Just cut the end down to the outside of the frame then weld the SCR to it. Then your stock fog light would already have mounting points. That would save you fab time.

Originally Posted by KC JEEP
I was thinking the same thing. I really like the TJ/YJ Smittybilt SRC bumper and believe with a little fab work I could get it modified to fit the JK in the fashion you describe. Although, I would also need to mod it to continue to use the stock fog lights. I was thinking about fabricating a 1/4" steel plate that would bot to either side of the frame at the existing bumper bolt locations and put in cut outs for the factory fog lights. Simply weld the SRc bumper to this and I think it would be great looking. I would also have to fab a winch bracket, but that doesn't seem too hard. The only thng holding me back is I don't have the dimensions on SRC bumper and being an engineer, I want to be able to design it in my head and make sure it will work before I begin. If I ever get around to this, I will post a write up.
Old 06-29-2007, 07:49 AM
Eternal ***erator

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I took the question to mean direct bolt on parts that where interchangeable. I dont see any reason why things cant be modified to work, i am sure some parts could be shoehorned on, but that wasnt how i read it.
Old 06-29-2007, 08:46 AM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by BeerMonkey
not true at all. i swaped over my floor mats from my TJ.
And I swaped over Unlimited cargo mat.

Quick Reply: 07 parts vs 06 parts