Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

1" Lift(s)

Old 05-10-2008, 10:12 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by itsajeepthing
hmm interesting, don't know, but would like the same answers!

also, will a 1.75 lift, give you any additional width clearance.... for say a 325 tire?
Was that a typo when you said 325 tire? 325 is larger than a 35. I believe it's somewhere between a 36" and 37" tire....depending on the other numbers.

If not, I would say NO to a 1.75 lift and a 325 tire.

But maybe I misunderstood the question

Last edited by VBS4; 05-10-2008 at 10:18 PM.
Old 05-11-2008, 04:23 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Denny2565
I was looking for something 2" or less too. I'm considering the 2" Black Diamond, 1.75" Daystar and the 2" BDS coil and spacer kits. The BDS kits are probably better, but they cost more. I liked the Black Diamond because it has front and rear bump stops. The daystar looked good too, but I couldn't find much feedback on it. Has anyone had any experience with the Daystar 1.75" kit? It comes with coil spacers, front bump stops and rear swaybar drop down brackets but no rear bump stops. Also, what exactly is the purpose of the drop down brackets since the other kits don't seem to include them?
http://www.daystarweb.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=KJ09137BK&Category=e1c71810-83ab-40e4-a6e2-85e402107a79
I wondered the same thing about the 1.75" kits...some have the bumpstops ans some don't, same with the drop down brackets. The RC I've got did not have that stuff, and I can't see any reason why having them would make it better. The only thing I can think of is for the rear drop down brackets, that would probably allow the rear to flex a little more than it would without them. Mine flexes plenty for me, so it's just up to you which one you feel more comfortable with I guess.

Originally Posted by VBS4
Was that a typo when you said 325 tire? 325 is larger than a 35. I believe it's somewhere between a 36" and 37" tire....depending on the other numbers.

If not, I would say NO to a 1.75 lift and a 325 tire.

But maybe I misunderstood the question

I believe he's going with something like a 20" wheel...so for something like a 325/60R20, that would be around 35.5" tall. This is one of those things where you may have to just do it to see if it will work or not....it's hard to say for sure, because it's a little out of the ordinary. But I'm sticking with, if you're not gonna wheel it then the 1.75" might be enough...but for wheelin, definately go with the 2.5".
Old 05-11-2008, 07:43 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Talking

Sigh....

OK...the SUSPENSION based lifts include longer coils (OME, etc...) or COIL SPACERS, which essentially make the existing coil's top pad thicker, so that the same coil starts lower, and therefore the Jeep is lifted by that thickness.

The BODY LIFT essentially inserts thicker body mounts, so the BODY is higher off the frame by their thickness.

The primary reason to get one type over the other type, or to need to COMBINE the two types, is that they have different FUNCTIONS.

Both give a reliable way of providing RIDE HEIGHT adjustment...and, if you only drive on the Bonniville Salt Flats, etc..either might work...

BUT, if you drive in places where your tires might actually move up and down (Speed bumps, rocks, surface imperfections, etc...)...then, a BL is ALWAYS, inch for inch, going to give you more TIRE ROOM.

In fact, if ALL you want to do is fit larger tires, ONLY a BL is 100% efficient.

The reason is that the BL lifts the WHEEL WELLS up and out of the way of the larger tire...

...and the SL only raises the ride height...if a tire were to stuff into the wheel well on hard braking, a bump, etc...it would hit WITH a SL or w/o a SL, as the tire and wheel well are still the same relation to each other...the tire merely STARTED the journey from further down.

This all means that for the same tire size clearance, you need A LOT more SL than BL to fit the same tires.

Again, if you drive on Billiard Tables, and never brake or turn sharply, sure, its not going to matter as much....but that's a small demographic.

If this is about tire clearance...get a BL...that's what a BL is FOR.

The BL doesn't require new shocks, etc...because it has no effect upon the suspension, etc...all you did was raise the wheel wells out of the way.

33's clear a stock JK...you said you want 35's, another 2" in diameter.

2" in diameter means that an extra INCH protrudes up, and down, from the center of the rim, etc...so, if the tire is coming up into the wheel well, it will hit stuff that used to be an inch away.

A wider tire ALSO requires more room, as the stuff that used to be spaced further away is now closer by the difference in WIDTH.

The combination of width and height means that the tire also swings in a wider ARC when turning, and, drooping/rising up/down on that live axle...so that the additional room also measures a span beyond the inches in diameter or width, including that larger arc's space as well.

That essentially means a 2" BL would be perfect for 35's.

If you want 325 mm section width tires that are 35" in diameter, that's equivalent to ~ 35" x 12.8"....very close to a 35 x 12.5 nominal size...in fact, the SAME as that nominal size in all practicality. (You would need to look at the specs for the PARTICULAR tire(s) you were considering, etc...)

For backspacing, a rim with ~ 4.5" of BS would be fine.

Hope that helps!

Last edited by TEEJ; 05-11-2008 at 07:46 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:52 AM
JK Jedi

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You have to be careful with 35's and a 2" lift. If you intend to disconnect your front sway bars, that setup will rub. Especially if you don't install bumpstops. I am currently running the Rusty's 2" coil spring lift and a .75" spacer up front. I used Full Traction bumpstops to be able to stuff the 315/75/R16 tires on Cragars w/5" backspacing and Spidertrax spacers. This setup BARELY clears the 35" tires when I run disconnected (See pic below!). If you never disconnect, the 2" or 2.5"BB is enough to clear the 35's. You can also do some creative fender trimming or flat fenders and have no problem with that setup. For full articulation up front, you need closer to 3" of lift for 35's and 33's will rub with no lift.

Last edited by armycop; 05-11-2008 at 08:55 AM.
Old 05-11-2008, 10:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
Sigh....

OK...the SUSPENSION based lifts include longer coils (OME, etc...) or COIL SPACERS, which essentially make the existing coil's top pad thicker, so that the same coil starts lower, and therefore the Jeep is lifted by that thickness.

The BODY LIFT essentially inserts thicker body mounts, so the BODY is higher off the frame by their thickness.

The primary reason to get one type over the other type, or to need to COMBINE the two types, is that they have different FUNCTIONS.

Both give a reliable way of providing RIDE HEIGHT adjustment...and, if you only drive on the Bonniville Salt Flats, etc..either might work...

BUT, if you drive in places where your tires might actually move up and down (Speed bumps, rocks, surface imperfections, etc...)...then, a BL is ALWAYS, inch for inch, going to give you more TIRE ROOM.

In fact, if ALL you want to do is fit larger tires, ONLY a BL is 100% efficient.

The reason is that the BL lifts the WHEEL WELLS up and out of the way of the larger tire...

...and the SL only raises the ride height...if a tire were to stuff into the wheel well on hard braking, a bump, etc...it would hit WITH a SL or w/o a SL, as the tire and wheel well are still the same relation to each other...the tire merely STARTED the journey from further down.

This all means that for the same tire size clearance, you need A LOT more SL than BL to fit the same tires.

Again, if you drive on Billiard Tables, and never brake or turn sharply, sure, its not going to matter as much....but that's a small demographic.

If this is about tire clearance...get a BL...that's what a BL is FOR.

The BL doesn't require new shocks, etc...because it has no effect upon the suspension, etc...all you did was raise the wheel wells out of the way.

33's clear a stock JK...you said you want 35's, another 2" in diameter.

2" in diameter means that an extra INCH protrudes up, and down, from the center of the rim, etc...so, if the tire is coming up into the wheel well, it will hit stuff that used to be an inch away.

A wider tire ALSO requires more room, as the stuff that used to be spaced further away is now closer by the difference in WIDTH.

The combination of width and height means that the tire also swings in a wider ARC when turning, and, drooping/rising up/down on that live axle...so that the additional room also measures a span beyond the inches in diameter or width, including that larger arc's space as well.

That essentially means a 2" BL would be perfect for 35's.

If you want 325 mm section width tires that are 35" in diameter, that's equivalent to ~ 35" x 12.8"....very close to a 35 x 12.5 nominal size...in fact, the SAME as that nominal size in all practicality. (You would need to look at the specs for the PARTICULAR tire(s) you were considering, etc...)

For backspacing, a rim with ~ 4.5" of BS would be fine.

Hope that helps!

Ok first off. TEEJ owns all.

Secondly. I just want a setup that will allow me to run a 35x12.50x20....I know about everybodies aversion to 20s, but I love em. and thats that!

I want something simple, that doesn't require trimming, new bumpstops or anything. 2" or less. That's it! KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. This will be a beulevard cruiser, the only offroading it will see, will be during snow seasons, IF i go back up north. Maybe the OCCASIONAL sand trail, or LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT mud, and that's all a big maybe.

So the question is....a simple, affordable, method for clearing 35x12.5x20 tires.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:21 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by SuperJeepJK
A used Hummer ought to suit you well.
or not....
Old 05-11-2008, 11:48 AM
JK Super Freak

Secondly. I just want a setup that will allow me to run a 35x12.50x20....I know about everybodies aversion to 20s, but I love em. and thats that!

I want something simple, that doesn't require trimming, new bumpstops or anything. 2" or less. That's it! KISS method. Keep it simple stupid. This will be a beulevard cruiser, the only offroading it will see, will be during snow seasons, IF i go back up north. Maybe the OCCASIONAL sand trail, or LIGHT LIGHT LIGHT mud, and that's all a big maybe.

So the question is....a simple, affordable, method for clearing 35x12.5x20 tires.
Have you talked to this guy----> http://my.project-jk.com/showphoto.p...750&ppuser=517

He's got 20's on his with a 2.5" lift...you might wanna check with him about his setup to see what he did.
Old 05-11-2008, 11:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Talking

All you need is a 2" BL then.

Period.

Enjoy!
Old 05-11-2008, 11:56 AM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by TEEJ
All you need is a 2" BL then.

Period.

Enjoy!

What are my options for that. How hard is the install. Before/After pics
Old 05-11-2008, 12:18 PM
JK Super Freak

Talking

What are my options for that. How hard is the install. Before/After pics

https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...light=bds+2+BL

http://www.bds-suspension.com/pdfs/9295.pdf

Check these out.

You could do a SEARCH for these as well, there are more of them.

Quick Reply: 1" Lift(s)