Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

'14 Rubicon crossbar needs to be cut off for new bumper???

Old 10-02-2014, 01:03 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '14 Rubicon crossbar needs to be cut off for new bumper???

I have a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited and purchased a River Raider Off Road Trail Series front bumper. In order to get it to fit on the shop manager of River Raider told me I need to cut off the cross member which is connected to the frame where the bumper mounts on.

Has anyone done this??? What are your thoughts??

Also any thoughts on how this effects the sway bar disconnect??
Old 10-02-2014, 01:39 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by heatsjeeplife
I have a 2014 Rubicon Unlimited and purchased a River Raider Off Road Trail Series front bumper. In order to get it to fit on the shop manager of River Raider told me I need to cut off the cross member which is connected to the frame where the bumper mounts on.

there used to be a couple of manufacturers that required this. The sway bar won't be affected. I'm sure they're bumper has a skid to protect the disconnect. The cross member's job was to protect the sway bar motor and the bumper will be plenty rigid.
Old 10-02-2014, 03:37 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heatsjeeplife

Had to do this with my crawler customz bumper, no big deal, sawzall takes it right off!
Old 10-02-2014, 04:10 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It isn't structural. A few high clearance bumpers require cutting that. Tough call man. If it were me (I wheel hard) I'd ditch the Rubi sway bar in a second and cut the crush bar off (crossmember you're referring to).

I don't want junk killing my approach angle. That said, you have the sissy bar and probably want to keep it. In that case, I'd find a different bumper. Or, fabricate your own skid plate.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:09 PM
RC3
JK Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I cut mine off also to fit Roadmaster tow bar brackets below my Rampage bumper. It was a little disconcerting at first but once I decided to go for it, it came off quite easily with a sawzall. The bumper, bolted to the frame, is much stronger than the crush bar.

Last edited by RC3; 10-02-2014 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-02-2014, 05:17 PM
JK Junkie

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1059.jpg
Views:	307
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	578322Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1045.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	63.0 KB
ID:	578323Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1050.jpg
Views:	310
Size:	57.5 KB
ID:	578324

Mine is gone. Its only 1/8" steel so it comes off pretty quickly with a sawzall and angle grinder. As for the swaybar disco, I rotated mine up out of the way with a .70 cent bolt from ACE.
Old 10-03-2014, 02:25 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

It's called the crossmember compatability and it is there to line up with the bumpers of smaller cars in a collision.

When I was installing my Poison Spyder bumper, instructions or their web site, I can't remember which, also say you can cut them off for a cleaner look and a lot of guys do it. But I saw a thread a while back with a member's jeep that was in a crash and that crossmember was bowed in pretty severely and held up. Because of that, I left mine.

Last edited by 14Sport; 10-03-2014 at 02:32 AM.
Old 10-03-2014, 03:23 AM
JK Junkie

Mattfl and I did my rear with less than 300 miles on my 10a go for it!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1224032489.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	69.9 KB
ID:	578339   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-883827544.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	57.9 KB
ID:	578340  
Old 10-03-2014, 07:29 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 14Sport
It's called the crossmember compatability and it is there to line up with the bumpers of smaller cars in a collision. When I was installing my Poison Spyder bumper, instructions or their web site, I can't remember which, also say you can cut them off for a cleaner look and a lot of guys do it. But I saw a thread a while back with a member's jeep that was in a crash and that crossmember was bowed in pretty severely and held up. Because of that, I left mine.
bent mine on a rock going 1mph. Cut it off for the new bumper.
Old 10-03-2014, 08:24 AM
JK Junkie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JE8154
bent mine on a rock going 1mph. Cut it off for the new bumper.
Like I said, a lot of guys do. I almost cut mine off. I haven't been in an accident in nearly 40 years so do I need it? Probably not. If you never get in a front-end collision it will never come into play anyway.

But I also wonder why it's called crossmember compatibility. Is it's Jeep's way of saying it is compatible with small car bumpers or are they saying it's compatible with federal law? Who knows? But if it's federal law then removing it may be illegal. Do I care? Not really. I know some states are sticklers about measuring the height of the bumpers on lifted vehicles and issuing tickets. I just stuck a piece of armor on mine and if I ever get pulled over, I believe it would meet the requirements. May not.

It's your Jeep. You paid for it. I don't care what you do to it. I believe having more information or knowledge when making a decision leads to a better decision. I just wanted the OP to know why it is there when he makes the decision rather than just relying on you don't need it.

Again, I cannot stress enough, I do not care what you do to your Jeep.

Quick Reply: '14 Rubicon crossbar needs to be cut off for new bumper???