Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2.5" - 3" llift help

Old 01-27-2007, 05:53 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2.5" - 3" llift help

Ok, guys...I'm a complete newb to all of this. I will be ordering my JK in a few months and I want to be able to squeeze some 35s under it. I've been looking at some different lift kits and there seems to be quite a difference in price between some of them. I have no idea what upper and lower control arms do or track bars. Are the things added in the Ultimate kits worth all the extra money? Also I only see steering stabilizers available through Skyjacker. Are these not necessary? My jeep will be mainly a street driver, but I plan on doing some wheeling on weekends, so I don't want something that will be a terrible ride on the highway, but I don't want it to be a lame duck off-road either.

Here are the kits I've been looking at

FT 3" Economy (with Nitro shocks $780)
FT 3" Premium (with Nitro shocks $1360) - seems to be same as Economy, but with control arms and front track bar
FT 3" Ultimate (with Nitro shocks $1960) - seems to be same as Ultimate, but with adjustable control arms and rear track bar
Skyjacker 2.5" (with Nitro shocks $456)
TeraFlex 3" (with shocks $698)

I guess my question is what are track bars and control arms and is it worth the money to change them? How do they affect my ride? Why is it better that they're adjustable?

Sorry for all the questions...please pardon my ignorance on this subject.
Old 01-27-2007, 06:55 AM
JK Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Full Traction or Teraflex are both quality kits. You can always add the adjustable arms or track bars which are included in the premium kits later. Since you're new to this, take it slow, learn as you go, and have fun. Or, if you have lots of money sitting around, go ahead and throw a few grand at it and get the Premium or Ultimate kit.

Last edited by Renegade; 01-27-2007 at 06:58 AM.
Old 01-27-2007, 07:52 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

What Renegade said. If you're on a real tight budget, you can save even more with the TeraFlex 2.5" BB if you get the version that has shock extensions. However, if you've got the cash, the more components you can add will only benefit you by allowing you to dial in your ride

To answer your other questions more specifically:
• Adjustable track bars will allow you to re-center your axle after a lift
• Longer or adjustable lower control arms will help you to re-position your axles correctly under you Jeep
• Adjustable front upper control arms will allow you to adjust your caster angle
• Adjustable rear upper control arms will allow you to adust your pinion angle
Old 01-27-2007, 10:55 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would at least add the front adj. track bar and adj front upper control arms to any economy kit you get. These let you make adjustments to the steering and control of your vehicle. By lifting your vehicle you make changes to the angles of your axles and side to side positioning of them.

I will continue to add the other options as I can afford, until basically I have the ultimate kit, but these two items would be a priority with me. Mine will be in this week and I certainly will comment on the results they give me.
Old 01-28-2007, 06:31 AM
JK Enthusiast

If oyu want a "full kit" I'd wait on RE
Old 01-28-2007, 06:38 AM
JK-Forum Founder

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by ZachMan
If oyu want a "full kit" I'd wait on RE
Why? And, what part of a FT 3" Ultimate Lift is not a "full kit"?
Old 01-28-2007, 08:33 AM
JK Enthusiast

Hey eddie, ever thought about creating a suspenion buyers guide or a sticky thread that defines all the suspension components and then compares the various kits on the market?
Old 01-28-2007, 09:01 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by wayoflife
That's what I was wondering...other then 3.0 vs 3.5 and as of 2 weeks ago RE was still not sure if the 3.5 would require drive-line mods...I think they are both pretty equal kits....Don't think you could go wrong with either.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:09 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by wayoflife
Why? because RE is the best quality from my testing.

Lets see 99 XJ and its had:

2" BB
4.5" Rustys
4.5" RE
5.5" RE
6" FT LA
and now 5.5" RE with TNT LAs

Without a doubt over the years RE has been the best without a doubt. I also love their short arms and super joints (screw heim joints, they get loose and loud), but the TNT LA upgrade is just so niice with the bellypan and bent y-links. They still use RE components on their kits though haha. I have put 50k miles on my RE 4.5" lift and never had to do ANYTHING to it, not even replace a joint on the arms.

BTW most any lift is fine for most on here, I however drive 18k-20k miles a year and beat the poo out of my Jeep and will do the same on my new JK.

Last edited by ZachMan; 01-28-2007 at 09:12 AM.
Old 01-28-2007, 09:14 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by mbrown2
That's what I was wondering...other then 3.0 vs 3.5 and as of 2 weeks ago RE was still not sure if the 3.5 would require drive-line mods...I think they are both pretty equal kits....Don't think you could go wrong with either.
My experience is go with whats been proven, yes the JK is a new Jeep, but the products and they way they are built are the same. RE is widely known as a great brand. FT is a good brand also, but thats just to each his own and what way you'll use your rig.

Quick Reply: 2.5" - 3" llift help