Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2.5 vs 3.5 vs. 4 with 33's

Old 02-02-2009, 02:24 PM
JudJeep

Question 2.5 vs 3.5 vs. 4 with 33's

Hello All,

I have been lurking for a couple of weeks now, reading and searching everything that I could about lifts, wheels and tires. My account got activated last nite, so here goes my first post!

I am shopping for a lift. I am planning on running 33's for a while (1 - 2 years) until I can upgrade gears (3.73 currently) for 35's. 35 will probably be my max. I'm sure everyone is rolling their eyes, saying "Yeah, right"!

Unfortunately, I am torn between a few different packages...
  1. Rusty's 3.25
    • Like the size, includes adj trackbars, price, offered to do the same package with the 2" springs so when it's time for 35's I would just have to get new coils.
  2. Teraflex 2.5 Coils with shocks
    • OK with the size, good reviews, price is ok, have heard this is pretty soft and should go with the RE 2.2 shocks.
  3. Rough Country 4
    • Like the size, good reviews, price (good deal right now $499), have heard this is the stiffest of the 3.
This is my daily driver and am not planning on rock crawling. I do go offroad, mainly to get to fishing spots, but admittedly, this is aesthetic also! If anyone has experience with any or all of these, please help. I called Rusty's and Rough Country and asked spring rates on the lifts trying to get some insight into ride "softness". Rusty's told me 160/170 front/rear. Rough Country could not tell me (Called Ben and left a message too.) and Teraflex is email.

My questions are...
  1. Which kit would you want to run 90% street, 10% trail? Please don't tell me to leave it stock.
  2. Would 33's look ridiculous with the 3.5 or 4 lifts? Would love to see pix if anyone as them. I have seen plenty with the 2.5 and it looks great!
Personally, I am leaning towards the Rusty's Kit with the 2" springs for now.

Thank you in advance for all of your insight and information! Sorry for the long winded post, I am usually much more concise.
Old 02-02-2009, 02:34 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

why would you want 4" to clear 33s?
Old 02-02-2009, 03:12 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome to the forum.

Here's a link to a Show Your 33's thread... Lots of lifts to check out on 33" tires. You'll soon see that most people run 2-3" for 33s. More then that and you get lets of empty wheel well which can look disproportionate.

Planman's plan is pretty solid since you'll be on slab most of the time.

Also - for the mostly pavement route, I'd say BFG ATs are great option to check out.
Old 02-02-2009, 03:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Default answer

2.5 BB with 33's looks perfect. . . Body lift 1 in for 35's or if you don't plan on going crazy don't use the BL, 35' will clear with proper back spacing.

If you lift higher you open up more things you will HAVE to buy. . . ie shafts, adj track bar.
Old 02-02-2009, 04:05 PM
JK Super Freak

Originally Posted by planman
For what you have said will be your planned use, either a 2" or 2.5" BB (coil spacer lift), a 1" body lift, or trimmed or Xenon flat flares would be the most appropriate.

More than 2.5" with 33s will look bad imo. More than 2.5" on stock control arms will not handle like you'd want for a rig that is 90 percent on asphalt.

I'd suggest you don't mess with your suspension unless you are going to offroad more. Just do the 1" body lift, flat flares or trimmed flares and call it a day until you are ready to run 35s.

Also, if you are concerned about a soft ride, stay away from load range E tires (designed for full size trucks with large towing capacities). Try to select a load range C tire if you want a soft ride.
How will a 2.5" lift + a 1" body lift with 33's look any different than a 3" suspension lift with 33's? Especially with the addition of flat fenders? Yet one looks good and one doesn't?

More than 2.5" on stock control arms will not handle like you'd want? Tell that to all the folks with Unlimited's running 3" & 3.5" on stock control arms. I've got a 3" lift, with load range E 33's, & stock control arms. It looks and rides great though I would rather have 35's under there and will soon.

Originally Posted by bigbluejk
why would you want 4" to clear 33s?
x2 4" is excessive for what you want (i.e. 33's, fine for 35's).

If I were you I would go with a 2.5" BB and a good set of 33's and some aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers.

Last edited by riverzendz; 02-02-2009 at 04:10 PM.
Old 02-02-2009, 06:39 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by riverzendz
How will a 2.5" lift + a 1" body lift with 33's look any different than a 3" suspension lift with 33's? Especially with the addition of flat fenders? Yet one looks good and one doesn't?

More than 2.5" on stock control arms will not handle like you'd want? Tell that to all the folks with Unlimited's running 3" & 3.5" on stock control arms. I've got a 3" lift, with load range E 33's, & stock control arms. It looks and rides great though I would rather have 35's under there and will soon.

x2 4" is excessive for what you want (i.e. 33's, fine for 35's).

If I were you I would go with a 2.5" BB and a good set of 33's and some aftermarket wheels or wheel spacers.

I think jharkins was saying do a 2.5 lift for 33's and ADD the 1in BL when he wanted to run 35's. I ran that setup on my 35's for a while.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:21 PM
JK Enthusiast

Can't help with a comparison to the others, but I have the Teraflex 2.5" coils with shocks. I'm happy with this system, but I would not agree that it's "soft". My seat of the pants feel says it's firmer than stock, but I only had it installed a few weeks before upgrading my tires. I went with BFG AT 295/75-16 (33.2" actual diameter) Load Range D tires and am running them at 26PSI cold. Seems just about right, but again firmer than stock by a good measure.

I also upgraded from my 3.21 gears to 4.56's. With 3.73's and an automatic (?) I wouldn't bother until you decide to go to 35's.

Hope this helps.
Ron
Old 02-02-2009, 07:55 PM
JudJeep

riverzendz,

Is this a picture of 33's on a 3.5" lift ( 2.5" + 1" bl ) or 2.5"?

I think this looks really good! I was afraid that there would be too much open space.

m(a)ce,
I have lived on that 33's page for the past 4 nights. I found a lot with 2.5", but want to see with 3.25" - 4".

All,

Thanks so much for the input. I am ruling out the 4" Rough Country, but I still feel that the Rusty's kit with shocks, coils (2") and adjustable track bars for $550 + $65 shipping is the best solution I've seen so far. I am not a big fan of spacers. Plus, I will have the adj trackbars when 35's do show up.

http://rustysoffroad.com/mm5/merchan...ry_Code=JKKITS

I am planning on ProComp 7089 or KMC Enduro 16x8 with 4.75 bs. (Soon as they are in stock!) Toyo Open Country AT's in 275/85x16.
Old 02-02-2009, 07:59 PM
JudJeep

Originally Posted by Roxster
Can't help with a comparison to the others, but I have the Teraflex 2.5" coils with shocks. I'm happy with this system, but I would not agree that it's "soft". My seat of the pants feel says it's firmer than stock, but I only had it installed a few weeks before upgrading my tires. I went with BFG AT 295/75-16 (33.2" actual diameter) Load Range D tires and am running them at 26PSI cold. Seems just about right, but again firmer than stock by a good measure.

I also upgraded from my 3.21 gears to 4.56's. With 3.73's and an automatic (?) I wouldn't bother until you decide to go to 35's.

Hope this helps.
Ron
Just the kind of opinion I'm looking for! Thanks.

It is a 6 speed.
Old 02-02-2009, 08:08 PM
JudJeep

Here is a pic of 33's on a 3" setup, but should be a good idea.

Too much gap?

3" with 33's

And a 2" Rusty's

I finally found an unlimited with 3" - 3.25" of lift on 33's.

Thanks again everyone!

Last edited by JudJeep; 02-02-2009 at 08:49 PM.