Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 door roof tent?

Old 01-28-2019, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 door roof tent?

Hey all, new to the forums, been trying to do some digging but figured I would ask if anyone has done it and what to look out for or any problems. I want to put a roof tent on a 2 door wrangler, is there a roof rack that can take the weight? Most I found for 2 door roof racks were like 300lbs static max. But I probably havent seen them all.

Anyone doing this with a 2 door?
Old 01-31-2019, 06:54 PM
JK Newbie

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That's a future plan for me, and I ended up going with the Rhino Rack Backbone with the Pioneer Plaform. 10/10 would recommend. 300lbs dynamic, and 800lbs static. Plus, I think its the best looking setup.
Old 03-15-2019, 06:34 PM
JK Newbie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default Jk 2dr roof tent.

This is our current set up. Gobi Stealth rack & the James Baroud explorer.... it is a sloild combo. Fits two adults and a small dog comfortably. The Jimmy B is quick to set up and packs up quickly. I even keep two pillows, a set of house sheets and comforter & double sleeping bag up there full time. We did run the FrontRunner roof tent for a few months but it started falling apart after the first real adventure.
The Gobi rack is sturdy but has a some rust issues. I have the quick disconnect and that helps a lot to gain access to the tents bolts or removing the top or freedom panels.
You will notice the weight up top but it’s never made us feel uncomfortable driving at highway speeds or or moderate off camber situation.

The following 3 users liked this post by Raymond G. Stone:
AnOldUR (05-21-2022), BryanJK (09-08-2022), Nozzleweed (08-20-2022)
Old 03-18-2019, 07:03 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

That James Baroud explorer looks pretty cool. Like that it's a hard shell that just pops straight up. Seems like it would be a tiny bit more areodynamic than a lot of RTTs that are just a big rectangle up top. Don't see many of these things mounted up on 2drs. Nice little set up you have there.

Last edited by resharp001; 03-18-2019 at 10:59 AM.
Old 03-18-2019, 10:58 AM
JK Enthusiast

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

That is an EXTREMELY cool setup; big fan!
Old 05-01-2019, 07:47 PM
JK Newbie

I recently installed the Garvin Adventure half-rack on my 2door sport and run the smittybilt overlander RTT. This rack is not advertised as fitting on the 2door and I have yet to find anybody that is using this rack on a jk. Garvin states on their website that this rack only fits on the 4door but, after studying the location of where the rack mounts on the gutters above the rear doors, I was convinced it would work just fine on the 2 door and so far the thing has had no issues. You do lose the ability of being able to remove the front freedom panels but since I rarely take them off this wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I like the clean look of the half rack not having the tubing coming down the front a-pillars. I do not do any hardcore wheeling, just more weekend camping trips so this setup has been perfect for that.

Last edited by Tommy Davis; 05-01-2019 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-01-2019, 07:54 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tommy Davis
I recently installed the Garvin Adventure half-rack on my 2door sport and run the smittybilt overlander RTT. This rack is not advertised as fitting on the 2door and I have yet to find anybody that is using this rack on a jk. Garvin states on their website that this rack only fits on the 4door but, after studying the location of where the rack mounts on the gutters above the rear doors, I was convinced it would work just fine on the 2 door and so far the thing has had no issues. You do lose the ability of being able to remove the front freedom panels but since I rarely take them off this wasn't a deal breaker for me.

I like the clean look of the half rack not having the tubing coming down the front a-pillars. I do not do any hardcore wheeling, just more weekend camping trips so this setup has been perfect for that.

i like the look. How easy/difficult is it to remove if you wanted to? I like running topless in the summer but would mind installing the rack as needed for camping.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:12 PM
JK Newbie

Its not too difficult, my wife and I actually took it off a few weeks back and probably took us all of 10 min, maybe less if your really handy. Loosen the rain gutter mounts and loosen the nut at the pivot in the rear and the rack can pivot all the way over the rear. You can then have somebody support the rack or just find something to prop it on if your by yourself and then unbolt it at the pivot and it comes off. You can then either remove or leave the legs that make up the bottom side of the pivot that bolts to the underbody.
Old 05-01-2019, 08:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Tommy Davis
Its not too difficult, my wife and I actually took it off a few weeks back and probably took us all of 10 min, maybe less if your really handy. Loosen the rain gutter mounts and loosen the nut at the pivot in the rear and the rack can pivot all the way over the rear. You can then have somebody support the rack or just find something to prop it on if your by yourself and then unbolt it at the pivot and it comes off. You can then either remove or leave the legs that make up the bottom side of the pivot that bolts to the underbody.
good to know, thanks I will check this out for sure.
Old 05-14-2019, 10:23 AM
JK Newbie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will be getting a barricade or smittybilt roof rack to mount my CVT roof top tent and ARB awning, I have seen a handful of people with the same rack and set up so shouldn't/hoping not to run into any problems. I will post pictures when i get everything together in a couple weeks. Is anyone else running a RTT on their 2 door JK? Any pictures?

Quick Reply: 2 door roof tent?