Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 Door Storage for a cross country trip

Old 04-27-2011, 12:58 PM
JK Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2 Door Storage for a cross country trip

I have searched every variation of "two door storage" I can think of and still havent been able to come up with the right thread. I thought I had seen one before.

Here is my situation. In July I am planning a cross country trip (I know it crazy with gas prices where they are but I am goin anyways ) from Michigan to Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and back. Three and a half weeks is what I am looking at. The trip is the easy part, storage will be my problem. This trip will include three adults and a german shepherd (approximately 75lbs). Each of the adults will be bringing along a backcountry backpacking pack. Did I mention I have a 2010 TWO DOOR Sport?

Time to pick your brains. I am looking for what people have done to increase storage (up and out of the way) or what ideas people have to help me out? Hopefully the nay sayers will stay away and hopefully the ideas will be realistic. If you are posting an idea of what to buy please keep in mind that the product cant cost too much as my budget is being expended on the trip (so no Gobi racks or roof top tent ideas, unless you want to donate it to me ).

So there it is, reaching out to the community for some ideas and some help to make this a trip for the ages.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Enthusiast

A trailer hitch rack.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:01 PM
JK Freak

Originally Posted by Michiguy
I have searched every variation of "two door storage" I can think of and still havent been able to come up with the right thread. I thought I had seen one before.

Here is my situation. In July I am planning a cross country trip (I know it crazy with gas prices where they are but I am goin anyways ) from Michigan to Montana, Wyoming, Colorado and back. Three and a half weeks is what I am looking at. The trip is the easy part, storage will be my problem. This trip will include three adults and a german shepherd (approximately 75lbs). Each of the adults will be bringing along a backcountry backpacking pack. Did I mention I have a 2010 TWO DOOR Sport?

Time to pick your brains. I am looking for what people have done to increase storage (up and out of the way) or what ideas people have to help me out? Hopefully the nay sayers will stay away and hopefully the ideas will be realistic. If you are posting an idea of what to buy please keep in mind that the product cant cost too much as my budget is being expended on the trip (so no Gobi racks or roof top tent ideas, unless you want to donate it to me ).

So there it is, reaching out to the community for some ideas and some help to make this a trip for the ages.
Get a receiver shelf, which basically is a shelf that plugs into your receiver hitch in the back. You can get a fair amount of stuff on there. Just bungee it all up and tarp it. I have seen guys bring 2 coolers and 4 backpacks on one before.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Look into surco roof racks, they are very cheap and will hold all of your backpacks plus a jack, you can fab your own mounts to
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2579310802.jpg
Views:	274
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	154531  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Another pic..
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2399706046.jpg
Views:	281
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	154532  
Old 04-27-2011, 01:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

Great idea, was thinking of that. Will that throw off my weight distribution? I am planning on Imogene and Black Bear Passes in Colorado along with any others I come across and want to still be able to do them. Keep the ideas comin thanks!

EDIT: Should have mentioned I will be working with a soft top.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:07 PM
JK Newbie

Do you have non-factory bumper? You could get an expedition rack if that is the case.

Other options include a hitch mounted basket.

Just my

Viper
Old 04-27-2011, 01:08 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Torrin
Get a receiver shelf, which basically is a shelf that plugs into your receiver hitch in the back. You can get a fair amount of stuff on there. Just bungee it all up and tarp it. I have seen guys bring 2 coolers and 4 backpacks on one before.
Great idea, was thinking of that. Will that throw off my weight distribution? I am planning on Imogene and Black Bear Passes in Colorado along with any others I come across and want to still be able to do them. Keep the ideas comin thanks!

EDIT: Should have mentioned I will be working with a soft top and sadly no aftermarket bumpers.
Old 04-27-2011, 01:15 PM
JK Freak

trade it in for a 4 door! lol
Old 04-27-2011, 01:16 PM
JK Enthusiast

Howzabout a u-haul

Quick Reply: 2 Door Storage for a cross country trip