Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2 Door Storage for a cross country trip

Old 04-27-2011, 05:50 PM
JK Forum Regional Rep

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valley Towing Systems

I have the deluxe fixed hitch mounted basket cargo carrier from Valley Towing Systems. I have an unlimited but make trips from Wisconsin to California and back two or three times a year. You can pack a ton of stuff on the thing if you want or just put a couple of big bulky things on it like ice chest or those plastic bins. I also use it when doing local stuff like running down to the gas station to fill up gas tanks for the mower, taking firewood camping, etc.

I got mine from Northern Tool but I'm sure you can pick them up at a place in your neck of the woods or order it online. If I remember right I paid about $100.00.

One thing worth mentioning is when I put mine together I put the extension bar in the reversed position so the basket sits higher off the ground. I've never done any serious wheeling with it on but I have gone through some light trials and I haven't hit it on anything...yet.

They also have a folding option but that will not work with a spare tire mounted to the back of your Jeep.

The product I really wanted to get was the folding carrier from EverThere. The thing folds up like an accordion when not in use and you can just pop it in the back of the Jeep. Problem is I think they had a manufacturing issue or something because everywhere that I could fine that sold them said they were back ordered or out of stock.

http://www.sportomotoring.com/everth...g-carrier.html

Good luck.
Old 04-27-2011, 06:58 PM
JK Super Freak

Yakima or thule soft cartop carrier. Waterproof, cheapish and should mount to your rain gutters. When it's not in use it folds up small. I have one and have used it a lot before getting my new skybox. Might even consider selling mine.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:03 PM
JK Super Freak

Did you see this one?

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=BEST-41406

Should help increasing your storage space and, better, everything kept inside the Jeep.

Dave is the Northridge's rep in the forum and usually has good deals.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:10 PM
JK Junkie

i live in montana...not even a half hour away from glacier national park....you should deffinitly come explore glacier...pm me about montana stuff if you want. i could tell you a couple other forum memebers too that are here. as for storage...trailer hitch rack
Old 04-27-2011, 07:17 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Sahara_Maverick
Did you see this one?

http://www.northridge4x4.com/proddet...rod=BEST-41406

Should help increasing your storage space and, better, everything kept inside the Jeep.

Dave is the Northridge's rep in the forum and usually has good deals.
I love that rack I don't think it would work in his situation, he has a 2dr and needs his rear seat for passengers/dog.
Old 04-27-2011, 07:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Check the warrior adventure rack. Love it.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:06 PM
JK Enthusiast

You could get an OR-Fab carrier and strap a pack to the carrier on each side of the spare, or on the inside of the carrier if it's not too thick of a pack. I think it's about 8-9" between the tailgate and the carrier. Not a lot of room, but good storage if it's used right.
Old 04-27-2011, 10:21 PM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have used a trailer hitch mount rack that I got from Harbor freight and it worked great and it cost around $35. When I got to my destination off it came and I hit the trails. I also have a Trasharoo that I got for $40 at a jeep function. It will hold up to 45 Lbs.
Old 04-29-2011, 05:38 AM
JK Enthusiast

bump for ideas
Old 09-20-2011, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

I'm curious on how the trip went & if there are any photos of the packing solutions.

Quick Reply: 2 Door Storage for a cross country trip