Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2" Spacer Lift Kits: Why No Rear Swaybar Links?

Old 06-01-2010, 06:48 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2" Spacer Lift Kits: Why No Rear Swaybar Links?

Trying to decide on a moderate lift for my new 2-door Rubicon, and I need some practical advice from the experts. I've spent way too much time looking at threads on this forum and now my head hurts. So:

It seems like all the 2" budget boost spacer lifts - BDS, Rubicon Express, Black Diamond, etc. - simply have the spacers & not much else.

Yet the Teraflex 2.5" BB has the swaybar links, brake line extenders, and more.

Why? What's so significant about that extra .5" that makes all the extra stuff necessary? Do the 2" BB's need the additional hardware as well?

Thanks much for your help!

Last edited by Poindexter; 06-01-2010 at 07:12 AM.
Old 06-01-2010, 06:49 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's because they're trying to keep the cost down as much as possible. Puts the "budget" in budget boost, don't it?
Old 06-01-2010, 07:36 AM
JK Enthusiast

Keep your jeep happy and buy it the TF 2.5 kit, it will thank u later
Old 06-01-2010, 08:05 AM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Poindexter
Trying to decide on a moderate lift for my new 2-door Rubicon, and I need some practical advice from the experts. I've spent way too much time looking at threads on this forum and now my head hurts. So:

It seems like all the 2" budget boost spacer lifts - BDS, Rubicon Express, Black Diamond, etc. - simply have the spacers & not much else.

Yet the Teraflex 2.5" BB has the swaybar links, brake line extenders, and more.

Why? What's so significant about that extra .5" that makes all the extra stuff necessary? Do the 2" BB's need the additional hardware as well?

Thanks much for your help!
With my RE 2" BB my rear sway bar was pretty much neutral in position with the stock rear links. So there is no real worry of the sway bar swinging back on itself and needing longer rear links. However, the front's were another story, they were sitting below neutral..not terrible, but enough for me to get some quick disco's for my Sahara.

Brake lines you will be fine, I even went with longer RE monotube shocks (which ride very smooth) with my kit and my brake lines were never a limiting factor, but you can go to the hardware store and for $5 you can get some nuts and bolts and bracket and extend yourself.

With my RE 2" BB I did not have very much axle movement and did not require the swaybar brackets to center the axle.
Old 06-01-2010, 03:36 PM
JK Newbie

Planman - thanks much for the concise, logical breakdown. It helps tremendously.

TripleJeep_99 - In looking at all the 2" BB threads, yours was one of the ones that really stood out. I appreciate the input.

Is it safe to say that unless I plan to do some crazy offroading, I wouldn't run into issues with one of the 2" BBs? This is all very new to me, so I'm going to be easing into it. The Jeep will initially be my daily driver with occasional trips to the beach and some light offroading. I've got no plans to go any larger than 33's for awhile, and the pics of the 2.5" BB seem to be a little too much.

Maybe I should just go with the Teraflex leveling kit for starters. I wouldn't be out a ton of $$$, and could likely sell it down the line if I wanted to go higher.

My head is starting to hurt again ....
Old 06-01-2010, 05:05 PM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TripleJeep_99
With my RE 2" BB my rear sway bar was pretty much neutral in position with the stock rear links. So there is no real worry of the sway bar swinging back on itself and needing longer rear links. However, the front's were another story, they were sitting below neutral..not terrible, but enough for me to get some quick disco's for my Sahara.

Brake lines you will be fine, I even went with longer RE monotube shocks (which ride very smooth) with my kit and my brake lines were never a limiting factor, but you can go to the hardware store and for $5 you can get some nuts and bolts and bracket and extend yourself.

With my RE 2" BB I did not have very much axle movement and did not require the swaybar brackets to center the axle.
X2 No problems at all with the RE 2.0 coil spacer lift. The RE longer monotube shocks are a tad stiff. I added JKS quick disconnects which lets you adjust them to center your sway bar.

Quick Reply: 2" Spacer Lift Kits: Why No Rear Swaybar Links?