Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2007 rubicon rear locker not engaging

Old 03-22-2014, 04:55 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2007 rubicon rear locker not engaging

So today I went wheeling at my local powerlines. I've had the jeep for about 10 months, bought it used with 54k on it and have been wheeling a decent amount since I've gotten it and my lockers have always been fine. Today I was crawling up a rocky hill and I'm almost positive both my lockers were engaged prior to crawling this hill. I was crawling and realized I was spinning more than usual, and my passenger told me my rear tire was spinning, and I realized my locker light was blinking. I just figured it needed a second to engage so I kept trying the hill. At one point I thought I heard a louder noise than usual, but nothing felt or sounded wrong. A couple tries later I heard a fast clicking sort of sound from the rear end. I thought I sheered something wether it be the gears or locker. However the jeep continues to be fine and have no noise in 4wd, but it just will not engage. the jeep still has
Stock 4.10s and everything. I checked the plug on the diff closest to the driveshaft, by unplugging it and plugging it back in. I'm going to dig into the problem more tomorrow but just want to see if there's a couple places to start, thanks and sorry for the long post.
Old 03-23-2014, 10:34 AM
JK Newbie

Bump bump bump
Old 03-23-2014, 10:49 AM
JK Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Dylan2405
Bump bump bump
Easiest thing to do is drain the fluid and look for metal. Otherwise maybe an electrical issue. Check for a corroding wire or cut wire
Old 03-23-2014, 11:25 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by courtsm3
Easiest thing to do is drain the fluid and look for metal. Otherwise maybe an electrical issue. Check for a corroding wire or cut wire
Alright man thanks, I've done a lot more research and plan to take a look at the anti rotation tab on the locker. I'm wondering if the sound I heard was the locker moving. I've seen quite a bit of this problem and am going to order a new anti rotation tab before I even pull the diff cover incase it's the problem I'll have the part on hand. Thanks!
Old 03-23-2014, 11:38 AM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Being in 4wd and one wheel spinning on the rear means one or both wheels were spinning on the front.

Having a broken anti-rotation tab on the locker usually results in the wires being pull off the electromagnet.

The clicking sound was probably the dog clutch teeth slipping by each other. That happens when the locker doesn't engage all the way.

Here is a thread showing what's inside the locker: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-263666/
Old 03-23-2014, 12:02 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
Being in 4wd and one wheel spinning on the rear means one or both wheels were spinning on the front.

Having a broken anti-rotation tab on the locker usually results in the wires being pull off the electromagnet.

The clicking sound was probably the dog clutch teeth slipping by each other. That happens when the locker doesn't engage all the way.

Here is a thread showing what's inside the locker: https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/stoc...-study-263666/
My front end remained locked
Throughout this. I kept the rear locker "on" to see if it'd lock up eventually and it never did. Later on when I was driving on pavement, I put in in 4wd low, clicked the locker button twice to engage the front and rear and they both stayed on, as soon as I began forward motion, my rear locker light began flashing.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:20 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 165 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Dylan2405
My front end remained locked
Throughout this. I kept the rear locker "on" to see if it'd lock up eventually and it never did. Later on when I was driving on pavement, I put in in 4wd low, clicked the locker button twice to engage the front and rear and they both stayed on, as soon as I began forward motion, my rear locker light began flashing.
I don't doubt your front remained locked. I was just pointing out that if you had one tire spinning on the rear, the front had to have one or both tires spinning. In your case, both front tires because the front was locked.

The rear began flashing because the locker was not completely engaged, as evidenced by the clicking noise you hear before.
There is a ring inside the locker that engages the dog clutch. It's common for the ring to wear. When it does, it will not push the dog clutch to full engagement.

Last edited by ronjenx; 03-23-2014 at 12:25 PM.
Old 03-23-2014, 12:40 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by ronjenx
I don't doubt your front remained locked. I was just pointing out that if you had one tire spinning on the rear, the front had to have one or both tires spinning. In your case, both front tires because the front was locked.

The rear began flashing because the locker was not completely engaged, as evidenced by the clicking noise you hear before.
There is a ring inside the locker that engages the dog clutch. It's common for the ring to wear. When it does, it will not push the dog clutch to full engagement.
Alright man thanks for the input. I'm not very knowledgable when it comes to the more mechanical aspects of jeeps such as gears and lockers. I plan to pull the cover this weekend and I'll post what my
Findings are
Old 03-24-2014, 01:31 PM
JK Freak

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts

This has been an issue with some of the earlier model JK Rubis. The teeth on the locking ring don't engage fully with the dogs on the carrier. A good fix is to carefully pull the magnet and put a Dana 60 pinion shim between the actuator and the carrier. Tightens up the gap.
Old 03-24-2014, 05:28 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by SoK66
This has been an issue with some of the earlier model JK Rubis. The teeth on the locking ring don't engage fully with the dogs on the carrier. A good fix is to carefully pull the magnet and put a Dana 60 pinion shim between the actuator and the carrier. Tightens up the gap.
Ok thanks for the info man!

Quick Reply: 2007 rubicon rear locker not engaging