Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2008 JKU Wheel Speed Sensor Issues

Old 12-18-2016, 06:59 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2008 JKU Wheel Speed Sensor Issues

2008 Jeep JKU Sahara, Leveling Kit, 32’s x 11.5” Tires, 15" x 10" Wheels 3.75 BS, no TPM Sensors reinstalled, everything else is completely stock on the suspension. No aftermarket AEV, no “steering wheel dance” codes applied.
I replaced the inner seals on the front axle which is a factory Dana 30. During the process of removing the wheel hub, the original wheel sensors broke off on both the driver and passenger side. I replaced both with Mopar replacements. I must also add in my own stupidity all this was done while the battery was still connected. When I was finished, I started the jeep and everything light up including the ABS, ESP/BAS, Traction Control lights stayed on. I continued my test drive thinking if I drive it around for a while it may sense everything is ok and lights may shut off or at least reset upon a restart. Well I quickly figured out how the ESP/BAS system will kill the power to the wheels if not happy so I pushed the ESP button to turn it off. Then immediately the brake light came on too and dinged but the ESP/BAS system is ok. Now I have turn it off whenever I start up the jeep.
Since then I have tried every possible combination of uninstalling, reinstall combinations of the wheel sensors including disconnecting the battery, touching the positive and negative together, taking apart and completely cleaning everything and reinstalling. Every time it’s the same thing over and over. I took it to someone and had the OBDII tester with ABS done only to receive a C101F and C1014 codes which tell me exactly what I already know “left front wheel speed comparative performance and right front wheel speed comparative performance”.
Without having to make a trip to the stealership, I wanted to ask around and see if anyone has any possible ideas, solutions, suggestions, resetting or troubleshooting ideas. Thanks in advance.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:15 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

Changing sensors with the battery hooked up is not an issue, I did it yesterday and the jeep runs great- no codes. How old are the hubs? I was having sporadic codes so I replaced the hubs and sensors all in one.

Comparative performance means that the sensor is not matching the other sensor. I'd offer to send my old sensors but again, I was having sporadic issues.

Are the ends of the sensors (that enter the hub) clean? Plugged in tightly behind the shock tower?
Old 12-18-2016, 07:35 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks Karls10jk. I appreciate the offer and suggestions. I clean the connectors plugs and sensor plug ends with contact cleaner and air before installing thinking the same way.

The hub's are the factory original which makes them over 8/9 years old now with 90k on them. I thought about replacing those as well but just wanted to make sure I covered all my options.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:48 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If you decide to replace them with Timken hubs, they're cheapest on rock auto at $160 shipped for the pair worth sensors.

The 11+ hubs are the exact same except they've got a little longer abs wire on them.

If you want to experiment..... there is an open box Timken hub on eBay from a reputable seller for $60 which is a steal. You could replace just the one and see if the code clears up on that side. Your Mopar sensors come with a 2yr warranty if you think something may have went awry there.
Old 12-18-2016, 08:08 AM
JK Newbie

Thanks again for all your help.
Old 12-23-2016, 02:54 PM
JK Freak

Is there a problem with the clockspring?

Quick Reply: 2008 JKU Wheel Speed Sensor Issues