Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2011 JKU Sport - Overland build - Future build question

Old 01-20-2017, 05:02 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2011 JKU Sport - Overland build - Future build question

Okay so I'm in a bit of a situation. I'm going to be picking up a set of ARB lockers and new BFGs soon. I may also be able to get a killer deal on a Tera44 front axle.

Currently I'm running 35" KM2's on 3.21 gears with a Dana 30 up front.

I think I've landed on two scenarios for where my build is headed..

Option 1:
Keep Dana 30
Keep KM2 35"
Front/Rear lockers
New axles

Option 2:
Tera44 (need axles, hubs, knuckles)
KM2 37"
Front/Rear lockers

Now in the title of this post I mentioned that it is an overlanding rig. I see more highway/forest road driving than jeep trails, however I use this jeep heavily in deep snow and would still love to be able to run moderate trails.

What are your opinions on my scenarios? What would you choose to do?
Old 01-20-2017, 09:49 PM
JK Newbie

No input? Haha
Old 01-20-2017, 10:12 PM
JK Super Freak

I mean if either option is in your budget why wouldn't you go with the second one? That's what I'd do.
Old 01-20-2017, 11:50 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

If your usage justifies an upgrade to a beefier front axle, why would you even consider dumping that much into a 30? Put the money toward a 44 or 60.

But, it sounds like an open d30 is getting you through your chosen trails and deep snow now, so do you really need to spend a few thousand on selectable lockers? Consider putting minimal money into your current axles and drive them until there is a reason to replace. Or if you do want to go ahead with traction, Detroit truetracs can be a cost effective option. A pair will be less than a single arb.

Tera44 (need axles, hubs, knuckles)
Shafts, hubs and knuckles? Unless you are building from a bare housing, the inside should be complete with shafts, locker and gears. Then you re-use the hubs/brakes/etc from your d30.
Old 01-21-2017, 12:15 AM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 361 Likes on 269 Posts

Option [EDIT Option 1] is basically what I did years ago (check my profile "My JK" tab for full details). And after 205,000 miles I can say that it has served me well.

Would I do it again? I'd just buy a Rubicon and be done with it.

How many times have I used those lockers? Oh, I can count them on two hands. And the front locker I can count on one hand: It's a pain in the rear to steer when locked up front.

What tire size do I prefer: 35s look good. 33s got a lot better gas mileage when I had them, and a friend I frequently travel with has never had a problem on his 33s staying with me. I crawled Fins and Things, Poison Spider Mesa and Elephant Hill Trail on 33s, and they did great. I'd never go to 37s for an overlanding rig.

What's the biggest mistake new overlanders make? Spending their money on build and not on overlanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2D1KbMZpg

Last edited by Mark Doiron; 01-21-2017 at 04:03 AM.
Old 01-21-2017, 03:09 AM
Super Moderator
FJOTM Winner

Received 483 Likes on 440 Posts

If it's mostly highway then stick with 35's. These vehicles are a lot more capable than they're given credit for. With the right line I've been able to keep up on trails without being "that guy" despite having smaller tires.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:08 AM
JK Newbie

Cool this is the input I was looking for. I know option 2 is obviously better, but I wanted to get an outsiders perspective on what I actually need vs what is just flashy and tempting my wallet.

During this threads time of silence I did more research and actually found out a lot about the tera30 housing. I think this may be the route I go as it beefs up that front axle, let's me keep the axles while upgrading gears, and will put my mind more at ease about not breaking my axle while out solo snow wheeling in the middle of nowhere(yes I go out alone, don't worry mom).

Thanks for the feedback offered up here. Think I will try 37(really 35's) KO2s and see how I like them.
Old 01-21-2017, 09:15 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Mark Doiron
What's the biggest mistake new overlanders make? Spending their money on build and not on overlanding.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nl2D1KbMZpg
Few of those trails look familiar
Old 01-21-2017, 09:25 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Marc, I live vicariously through your videos! Have you ever found any good overlanding opportunities in the Midwest or east? My problem is two-fold. 1. Getting enough time to go west and really explore, and 2. I've got a bunch of young kids, so even if I had time off work, I can't go for too many days. I'd love to find some places within 6 to 10 hours drive from Indiana.
Old 07-31-2019, 10:07 AM
JK Newbie

Another weekend out of cell service 🏕

Quick Reply: 2011 JKU Sport - Overland build - Future build question