Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 jk engine swap into 2007 jk

Old 05-22-2012, 07:52 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2012 jk engine swap into 2007 jk

I have a 2007 jk x and have the oppurtunity to barter for the engine out of a brand new 2012 jk from a guy who is going to do a hemi swap before he ever drives it. I know the 2012 3.6 engine has increased horsepower and torque and I would love to see it in my 07. Has anyone had any experience or heard of this same swap or one similar? My primary concerns are:

a) motor mounts - are they in the same place and are all the accessories on the engine such as a/c compressor, p/s pump etc. going to be in the same place as they are in mine with the same fittings to hook lines right up..

b) electrical - will the engine controls and ecm go straight in to the existing harness and communicate properly with the rest of the computers and and indicator lights on the dash etc...

c) transmission (6 speed) /clutch - is the bolt pattern on the flywheel correct for my existing clutch and is my transmission bolt pattern and input shaft correct..

Hopefully someone has some advice on the problems or hang ups ill run into, I'd love to make the swap and and am mechanically able to do it, I just want to make sure its worth what im bartering, especially because I cant see the engine before I start the work as the company doing the swap is out of state.

Thanks in advance for any help
Old 05-22-2012, 09:16 PM
JK Newbie

The 3.6l pentastar is a whole new animal.

You're going to have to do alot of research before jumping into something like this.

Wish I knew more about the differences.
Old 07-01-2012, 08:02 PM
JK Newbie

ttt really interested in this !!
Old 07-01-2012, 08:15 PM
JK Super Freak

You will need a computer for a 3.6 the 3.8 won't be comparable good luck if you try this don't know if it's worth the aggravation might just pay to go to a hemi
Old 07-01-2012, 08:19 PM
JK Enthusiast

I've thought the same question..
Old 07-01-2012, 08:50 PM
JK Freak

You will spend just as much or more than a hemi swap and it will be just as much work as a hemi swap. You will have issues with electrical interface since nobody is making a "kit" for it.

Anything can be done but it may not make sense financially, or be done in a timely fashion.
Old 07-01-2012, 09:09 PM
JK Freak

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I Agree it's not worth it... The most expensive part of a swap is not the engine but the custom work... It would probably be cheaper to trade your jeep in for a 2012
Old 07-01-2012, 09:13 PM
JK Newbie

How much is he selling it for, I u get it for a steel then maybe it might pencil out..
Old 07-02-2012, 04:54 AM
Super Moderator

Received 80 Likes on 72 Posts

Originally Posted by duneslider
You will spend just as much or more than a hemi swap and it will be just as much work as a hemi swap. You will have issues with electrical interface since nobody is making a "kit" for it.

Anything can be done but it may not make sense financially, or be done in a timely fashion.
Yes, and considering many of the 3.6's are developing head problems, I would much rather have the hemi

Quick Reply: 2012 jk engine swap into 2007 jk