Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2012 Rubicon Sway Bar Disconnect

Old 05-18-2012, 08:07 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2012 Rubicon Sway Bar Disconnect

Alright this is my first Jeep but I have been wheeling for a while and I have had friends that had Jeeps with manual disconnects. I understand how it works and what it looks like when it's disconnected but with the Rubicon and the electronic sway bar disconnect I don't see it. I have done everything the manual says and I even get the indicator light and the motor noise but when I get out to inspect it everything still looks hooked up. I have added a 3in lift and used the Teraflex sway bar disconnects. I just don't understand how the stock bolt on disconnects as well as the bolt on Teraflex disconnects would allow the sway bar to disconnect electronically. Please someone explain this so I understand??????
Old 05-18-2012, 08:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There is a mechanical box in the center of the sway bar. Stop looking in the traditional disco location. Inside this box there are gears that hold the two 'halves' of the sway bar together. When you push the disco button, the gears separate and you have two independent halves at this point. does that answer your question?
Old 05-18-2012, 10:18 AM
JK Super Freak

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes that actually clears everything up for me. I was beginning to lose my mind a little and I thought I was the only one on crazy pills. I keep looking at those disconnects and how there bolted on and thought this just doesn't make any sense. Thanks for explaining it now I feel way better
Old 05-18-2012, 10:26 AM
JK Enthusiast

Search smart bar study and you will find good explanation and pics of how it works.
Old 05-18-2012, 10:44 AM
JK Junkie

Originally Posted by Doc Highway
Search smart bar study and you will find good explanation and pics of how it works.
[h=2]OEM E-Disco (Smartbar) Study. [/h]
Old 05-18-2012, 12:06 PM
JK Junkie

Here's a great video that shows the swaybar in action....

Originally Posted by wayoflifette
For those of you with Rubicon e-discos that have long since stopped working, I think you'll be very happy to know that EVO MFG has a solution for you! I can't wait to get one installed on Moby and Nemo! Check it out:

EVO NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect

A short video demonstration of how it works:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6e9TH_QgwU
The Factory Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect is a great feature but is prone to breaking, shorting out and all around being annoying. The EVO NoLimits Manual Disconnect now allows you to defeat the overly troublesome computer system that operates this very cool feature that Rubicon Model JK’s come with. The manually operated EVO NoLimits Swaybar Disconnect now allows you, with a few turns of the dial, to disconnect your Rubicon Swaybar at anytime, in any gear, and with any amount of articulation. No need to bounce the vehicle, no pins to pull or fighting to reinstall, no swaybar links to remove, no punctured tires from removed swaybar links, just unrestricted articulation. Back to the highway… Simply turn the dial a few turns in the opposite direction on level or uneven ground and your swaybar will fully reconnect by itself for highway use.

EVO NoLimits Manual Rubicon Swaybar Disconnect
$89.99 + shipping

It is recommended to use an AEV ProCal Module or similar computer programmer to turn off the swaybar light function on your dashboard.

When disconnected never exceed 20mph, disconnect for off road use only.

Contact EVO MFG for more info:
EVO MFG
info@evomfg.com
714-879-8913
Old 06-24-2012, 05:54 PM
JK Freak

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Really cool, Like Ronin I put the jeep in 4 wheel low and hit the button at the same time telling my father to tell me what he sees. HE saw nothing. LOL so for awhile im thinking maybe something broke since I have a lift added. Im glad to see that everything is functioning correctly. This forum rocks. Thanks for posting the video.

Quick Reply: 2012 Rubicon Sway Bar Disconnect