Notices
Stock JK Tech Bulletin board forum regarding issues with OE (original equipment) components of the Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) such as factory suspension parts, engine, transmission, body parts, interior fixtures and the on-board computer.

OEM E-Disco (Smartbar) Study.

Old 12-01-2010, 07:12 PM
JK Jedi Master

Received 163 Likes on 141 Posts
Default OEM E-Disco (Smartbar) Study.

I have been wondering how the Smartbar works, and if it can be successfully disassemble, serviced, and reassembled.

The Smartbar is made by American Axle & Manufacturing.

Mechanically it is pretty simple. It's the computer control and the circuit board that will most likely cause problems. I was hoping to see a way to make it manually operated. Update: Conversion to manual operation https://www.jk-forum.com/forums/show...isco-To-Manual

Here is a picture of the electrical connector. I don't know if anyone has wired in a bypass switch (like the lockers), but it looks like the computer control is too involved.

Last edited by ronjenx; 06-17-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-01-2010, 07:32 PM
JK Freak

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

wow, thanks for the breakdown. it's pretty neat to know what the hell's going on in there without tearing mine apart
Old 12-01-2010, 07:39 PM
JK Jedi

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow those are great pics and breakdown. I had no idea it worked like that. Maybe u can use a shifter cable to operate the plunger to move the fork.
Thanks a lot for posting the pics!!!!!
Old 12-01-2010, 07:53 PM
JK Freak

wow, i really like the idea of it being cable actuated. now i can't stop thinking about ways to make this work. this is why i both love and hate this forum
Old 12-02-2010, 07:37 AM
JK Enthusiast

Could you bypass all the electronics and hard wire the electric motor to an in-cab switch?
Old 12-02-2010, 08:14 AM
JK Jedi

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JCKnauer22
wow, thanks for the breakdown. it's pretty neat to know what the hell's going on in there without tearing mine apart
x2
Thanks for the technical break down it really helps to see what's going on and can take a turd on us.
Old 12-02-2010, 10:14 AM
JK Super Freak

Hmmmm .. that would be sweet to able to able to to convert to a cable mechanism. All E-Disco's die sooner or later ...

A heavy-duty choke cable would probably work ... I don't think much force is required to depress the plunger and unlock it.

It is pretty clever they way they used the gears and collar to unlock and lock it.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:22 AM
JK Enthusiast

Default E-disco computer bypass

Someone has already done this. The only pic missing from this great thread is one of the OEM wire harness female plug that connects to the E-disco. If I remember correctly, there's only 3 or 4 wires going to the disco. Power, ground, and 1 or 2 data wires. Someone bench tested a direct wire from dash switch on a unit with a fried computer. It worked flawlessly with the exception of the E-disco dash light being on continuously. I've got some notes on this somewhere; PM me if you want me to do some searching.
Old 12-03-2010, 09:28 AM
JK Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JINGLES
Someone has already done this. The only pic missing from this great thread is one of the OEM wire harness female plug that connects to the E-disco. If I remember correctly, there's only 3 or 4 wires going to the disco. Power, ground, and 1 or 2 data wires. Someone bench tested a direct wire from dash switch on a unit with a fried computer. It worked flawlessly with the exception of the E-disco dash light being on continuously. I've got some notes on this somewhere; PM me if you want me to do some searching.
I have seen this before, as well. Hmmm...now only if I could remember where???

If I come up with anything, I will post it.
Old 12-05-2010, 06:20 PM
JK Enthusiast

With some basic machining skills you could easily use a Posi-Lok cable to engage this thing. Could be a good money maker if someone took the time to design it. Here's the cable that I'm talking about.

Quick Reply: OEM E-Disco (Smartbar) Study.