Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM

2013 Jk handling questions

Old 04-05-2021, 01:05 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Pause a sec and consider something before you spend that money. With 'factory' components (stock control arms), the alignment shop can NOT adjust Caster. If it is low now, it will be low when you leave the shop. (though a few folks have posted that their alignment shop installed cam bolts without authorization to correct this...)

Take two more pics - one of where a front lower control arm bolts to the axle (looking for Cam Bolts - a big offset washer), and one of where both control arms bolt to the frame (looking for CA Drop Brackets).

You could even make a few calls and see if you can find a shop that will do free alignment checks, where they just print out the 'before' specs without changing anything. That will show you exactly where the Caster is currently set.

Either way, something to consider before paying for the full alignment.
Here is a few more pics for you. Hopefully you can see what you need.

Better pic of the rubber boot around the pitman arm knuckle you was wondering about.

Old 04-05-2021, 01:18 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

Good deal. To me, it looks like both Cam Bolts and CA Brackets? Or maybe that is eliminators, that went on when the brackets were installed? Either way, your Caster should be up in an acceptable range. Wouldn't be a bad idea to to get a free printout if you can just to verify the number.

Last edited by nthinuf; 04-05-2021 at 01:26 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 03:12 PM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I can't recall ever seeing cam bolts in a control arm bracket before. someone would have had to drill that hole out bigger since there is no knockout on the bracket. The good news is you have brackets, the bad news is only one position to mount which may be why someone added cam bolts.

Must have just been a weird picture before....that DL boot looks fine.
Old 04-06-2021, 03:56 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by nthinuf
Good deal. To me, it looks like both Cam Bolts and CA Brackets? Or maybe that is eliminators, that went on when the brackets were installed? Either way, your Caster should be up in an acceptable range. Wouldn't be a bad idea to to get a free printout if you can just to verify the number.

Originally Posted by resharp001
I can't recall ever seeing cam bolts in a control arm bracket before. someone would have had to drill that hole out bigger since there is no knockout on the bracket. The good news is you have brackets, the bad news is only one position to mount which may be why someone added cam bolts.

Must have just been a weird picture before....that DL boot looks fine.
I really appreciate all the help guys!! I feel like I have been schooled a little bit.

I will say that last night when we was out driving the Jeep I was trying to pay more attention to the way it was handling and it may have just been me but it seemed as if the rear end was following the dips and irregularities in the road more than the front was.It does have a larger aftermarket rear bumper and heavy swing out tire carrier on it. Would that extra weight make it handle that way?
Old 04-06-2021, 04:10 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,827 Likes on 1,597 Posts

I guess we don't see many running RC control arm brackets. Those do indeed have a cam bolt in em - -

The following users liked this post:
kipsterk (04-06-2021)

Quick Reply: 2013 Jk handling questions