Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2015 JK with Torn Drive Shaft boot Rear center Shaft

Old 04-21-2015, 11:12 AM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2015 JK with Torn Drive Shaft boot Rear center Shaft

Hi,
I purchased a new 2015 JK 4dr With an AEV 3 1/2" lift and 35" tires installed by the dealer.
On first trip out on Green trail the driveshaft moved into the Evap canister guard and tore the center boot. I took it to the dealer and their response was the lift they installed was for "Appearance only" my Jeep is not sold for Off road use and said that if I actually wanted to 4x4 it I needed to upgrade Axles and etc. Its a Rubicon Doesn't it have off road axles in it?
What causes the rear end to move over into the Evap guard?

I am fairly peeved at my dealership for telling me that the 50K machine they sold me is not for off road use. But How do I prevent the shaft boot from tearing again?

I am not new to Jeeping. I bought my first jeep at age 14 (now 47) and not for one second of my life since then have I not owned a jeep (My first JK)

This seems like a factory thing. I have never had a drive shaft issue like this ever.

Advise?
Old 04-21-2015, 11:44 AM
JK Jedi

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

As the rear axle articulates off road, the driveshaft moves as well. I tore my boot on the factory Evap skid corner my second trip out. In early models they didn't have a skid at all. The boot does nothing except help keep crud off the splines. Aftermarket shafts don't have boots, so I wouldn't worry about it. As far as what your dealership said, your jeep is very capable off-road right out of the box. They just don't want to do factory warranty repair work after off-road use. It's all politics.

You can relocate the Evap canister, or grind down the skid plate a little, get an aftermarket skid to replace the factory one, or get an aftermarket driveshaft if you're worried about hitting the Evap again.

Last edited by TURTLECON; 04-21-2015 at 11:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2015, 11:59 AM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by JK-FREAK
As the rear axle articulates off road, the driveshaft moves as well. I tore my boot on the factory Evap skid corner my second trip out. In early models they didn't have a skid at all. The boot does nothing except help keep crud off the splines. Aftermarket shafts don't have boots, so I wouldn't worry about it. As far as what your dealership said, your jeep is very capable off-road right out of the box. They just don't want to do factory warranty repair work after off-road use. It's all politics.

You can relocate the Evap canister, or grind down the skid plate a little, get an aftermarket skid to replace the factory one, or get an aftermarket driveshaft if you're worried about hitting the Evap again.
Thanks For the info ! I am really enjoying this new JK I am seriously thinking about ditching this AEV Lift. It seems this weekend I snapped of the sway bar linkage It was stock. Not sure that this thing is depndable at the level that I am offroading it now (Green trail) Hate to think of what will happen on orange and I don't think it will handle Black at all.

Have any suggestions? for a 4" lift?
Old 04-21-2015, 12:55 PM
JK Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The lift is more than capable. The issue with AEV is that they don't replace many of the weak factory parts. Get some aftermarket sway bar links.

The driveshaft issue could happen with any lift. As the axle travels up in the rear, the axle shifts to the driver side (and in your case, into the evap). Teraflex did a a video on a free and simple fix that shifts the skid over a little. Do that.

If you get a different lift, go with less lift. The more lift, the more issues. 4" or more and it is a whole new situation. You can run 40" tires on a 3.5" lift. No reason to go higher.

Btw, if the dealer ins't going to replace the shaft, lots of people have their stock ones sitting around in their garage. I would not go aftermarket as that requires adjustable arms so you can adjust your pinion angle. Also requires that you change the pinion yoke, which is a another topic in itself.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:41 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by Invest2m4
The lift is more than capable. The issue with AEV is that they don't replace many of the weak factory parts. Get some aftermarket sway bar links.

The driveshaft issue could happen with any lift. As the axle travels up in the rear, the axle shifts to the driver side (and in your case, into the evap). Teraflex did a a video on a free and simple fix that shifts the skid over a little. Do that.

If you get a different lift, go with less lift. The more lift, the more issues. 4" or more and it is a whole new situation. You can run 40" tires on a 3.5" lift. No reason to go higher.

Btw, if the dealer ins't going to replace the shaft, lots of people have their stock ones sitting around in their garage. I would not go aftermarket as that requires adjustable arms so you can adjust your pinion angle. Also requires that you change the pinion yoke, which is a another topic in itself.
Thanks for the info. The AEV springs are also sagging on the right rear side. I took it to Rebel and they said that it needs spring shims? They were not really impressed with the AEV stuff but I don't know if they were just trying to sell me on an upgrade.
I was also told that this lift is no good for Black trails Which I have several close to home. It was suggested to me by my son to go with a long arm kit or coil overs. WHat are your thoughts on that?

Cheers! and thanks
Old 04-21-2015, 01:48 PM
JK Freak

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=jkfLGjzH7Z4
Old 04-21-2015, 01:54 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by mikeJKUR
nice thanks. I noticed I have a few chew marks on my boot but fortunately has not actually ripped thru yet.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:14 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by jadmt
nice thanks. I noticed I have a few chew marks on my boot but fortunately has not actually ripped thru yet.
THanks Guys. Looks like a real simple fix
Old 04-21-2015, 02:32 PM
JK Jedi

Received 107 Likes on 104 Posts

Originally Posted by trdking
THanks Guys. Looks like a real simple fix
I did it between my last post and this one and that included putting the tools away and searching for my center punch, so yes easy.
Old 04-21-2015, 02:46 PM
Former Member

Just did mine as well had all the tools in my tool bag I keep in the jeep! quick and easy

www.overlandoff-road.com

Quick Reply: 2015 JK with Torn Drive Shaft boot Rear center Shaft