Notices
Modified JK Tech Tech related bulletin board forum regarding subjects such as suspension, tires & wheels, steering, bumpers, skid plates, drive train, cages, on-board air and other useful modifications that will help improve the performance and protection of your Jeep JK Wrangler (Rubicon, Sahara, Unlimited and X) on the trail.

PLEASE DO NOT START SHOW & TELL TYPE THREADS IN THIS FORUM
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Jk all over the place - Caster help needed

Old 11-13-2017, 12:48 PM
JK Newbie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok well i think i found one more problem today
was looking at my rear track bar today
for starters it looks like its now on in the wrong direction as the adjustment sleeve is now on the passenger side... Also on the passenger side looks like the screw is barely in as its stinking out more then half way and there is no bolt on the other end of the screw
Old 11-13-2017, 02:04 PM
JK Jedi Master
FJOTM Winner

Received 162 Likes on 154 Posts

You keep looking for new problems and want to throw more and more money at it, while ignoring what has been said a dozen times. Raise the caster up past stock numbers. If 4wp won't do it, go to another shop. Or do it yourself.

My guess is that they did not refuse, you just did not specify that you wanted caster up closer to 5*. They removed the brackets, which had the effect of raising the caster a bit. Which could also have been done by leaving the brackets, and simply moving the arms from one hole on the brackets to another hole. But what needs to be done is to actually adjust the arms some more to even out the two sides, as well as raising the caster!

But what the hell, it's your money. Run out and pay $2200+ for a complete new lift, and upwards of $5000 for a new axle, and however much more for the labor. And guess what? If the shop leaves your caster down at 3* degrees again, it's still gonna drive like crap...

Last edited by nthinuf; 11-13-2017 at 02:13 PM.
Old 11-13-2017, 03:19 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by nthinuf
You keep looking for new problems and want to throw more and more money at it, while ignoring what has been said a dozen times. Raise the caster up past stock numbers. If 4wp won't do it, go to another shop. Or do it yourself.

My guess is that they did not refuse, you just did not specify that you wanted caster up closer to 5*. They removed the brackets, which had the effect of raising the caster a bit. Which could also have been done by leaving the brackets, and simply moving the arms from one hole on the brackets to another hole. But what needs to be done is to actually adjust the arms some more to even out the two sides, as well as raising the caster!

But what the hell, it's your money. Run out and pay $2200+ for a complete new lift, and upwards of $5000 for a new axle, and however much more for the labor. And guess what? If the shop leaves your caster down at 3* degrees again, it's still gonna drive like crap...

I am doing whats said here
I went back and said I need caster to 4.5 -5 and they said they did it by removing the brackets. I ordered the part to raise the rear track bar so when that comes in I will get that done.
And no I am not looking for problems - but when I see something that I know is not right I am going to point it out - witch is way I mentioned the rear track bar today as it looks to be flipped in the wrong direction and a bolt early holding it in

I don't want to get a new lift kit but ne Abel has been in the plans for months now.... however I am thinking of getting the new jus coiler conversion for the front - and no not because of all of this just because I want to move that direction.

but before I do any more upgrades I am going to have this current caster and rear track bar addressed

but still I am wondering since it looks like my rear track bar is in the wrong direction and not bolted down correctly if this has any effect on handling - not the caster
Old 11-14-2017, 05:13 AM
JK Jedi
FJOTM Winner

Received 1,825 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Originally Posted by jeeptv
on the passenger side looks like the screw is barely in as its stinking out more then half way and there is no bolt on the other end of the screw
I'm confused by this description. Got a pic?

Who installed this rear TB? Was it 4WP? I mean, if it's not already obvious how it should be oriented, the instructions clearly state the adjustment collar should be at the axle side. If 4WP installed this.....I can't advise you enough to just be done with 4WP and find a different shop.

I get where nthinuf's last post is coming from....sounding a bit aggravated, cuz I feel a bit like a broken record myself having said the same thing several times now. We're trying to help. If you were in the DFW area I'd come help resolve this just cuz hate seeing people having to deal with this stuff causing issues with their driving experience....but Florida is a bit far.

Snap a pic of that rear TB bolt and measure those front arms.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:21 PM
JK Junkie

My caster/cross caster was almost identical to his after installing arms. I did end up bringing CC closer and also adding a 1° or so. Did it make a big difference in handling? No.
Honestly it handled fine from the start steering wise.

Something else is going on there.
Old 11-14-2017, 11:24 PM
JK Junkie

Are your tires balanced ? How about PSI?
I know the steering can get a little squirrelly right in the speed range where theres a imbalance.
Too much PSI can also degrade handling.
Old 11-15-2017, 04:27 PM
JK Newbie

ok the terflex rear track bar braket arrived today.
I was recommended a new shop that only works on jeeps, and will have them do the alignment and install the new bracket. going to try to get the jeep in next week

I have tried many Dif. psi on the tiers - I am currently running them at 32psi. I have 22 rims 37x13.50 toyo open country mt

will keep you updated
Old 11-15-2017, 04:29 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by kjeeper10
My caster/cross caster was almost identical to his after installing arms. I did end up bringing CC closer and also adding a 1° or so. Did it make a big difference in handling? No.
Honestly it handled fine from the start steering wise.

Something else is going on there.

you say something more could be wrong? any thoughts
Old 11-15-2017, 04:30 PM
JK Newbie

Originally Posted by resharp001
I'm confused by this description. Got a pic?

Who installed this rear TB? Was it 4WP? I mean, if it's not already obvious how it should be oriented, the instructions clearly state the adjustment collar should be at the axle side. If 4WP installed this.....I can't advise you enough to just be done with 4WP and find a different shop.

I get where nthinuf's last post is coming from....sounding a bit aggravated, cuz I feel a bit like a broken record myself having said the same thing several times now. We're trying to help. If you were in the DFW area I'd come help resolve this just cuz hate seeing people having to deal with this stuff causing issues with their driving experience....but Florida is a bit far.

Snap a pic of that rear TB bolt and measure those front arms.

track bar. has been fixed next step bracket install and a good 8 arm alignment
Old 11-15-2017, 05:57 PM
JK Enthusiast

Steering issues are such a pain in the dick, i dealt with mine for like 3 months. If i were you id find someone that knows how to Align a lifted Jeep and that has done it before. It looks like all your shit is adjustable and they should be able to get you close to where you need to be. I had 2 different people work on my Jeep for alignment, ill post pics. The first guy was a dumbass that acted like he knew everything, the second guy knows how to align lifted JKs. Getting someone that knows what the hell they are doing is a really important. Also, even though my Jeep is now in spec, i get a very mild pull to the left, so little it is not even noticeable at times. I think that comes with running 37s or larger.. which i am also. Some tires just tend to pull a little even in spec.. mine do, they are 37" Nitto Trail Grapplers, but its so mild im just live with it. Here are my alignment specs... first guy then second guy. One was a retard that had me all over the place, second guy just got the job done. Hope this helps a bit.
Click image for larger version

Name:	Align1.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	604.8 KB
ID:	676077 Click image for larger version

Name:	Align2.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	3.44 MB
ID:	676078

Last edited by YukonBlu; 11-15-2017 at 05:59 PM.

Quick Reply: 2016 Jk all over the place - Caster help needed